"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

^
    +1,000,000

An epic song that deserves the epic "extended" (restored) intro. This ain't no Chinese Democracy.

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Just curious what you didn't like about the ELPs. Two of them I think right.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I'll put in my opinion here - for ELP, the fact that SW couldn't remix the whole album due to unavailable multitracks for some of the tracks kinda spoiled the whole thing. For Tarkus, the remix didn't sound as good as the Victory/Rhino versions. Carl Palmer's drum (specifically cymbal) sound was the main problem I had with the package. The Tarkus remaster didn't sound as good as the Victory/Rhino, due to some remaining distortion the the right channel during the title track, IIRC.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    bmoregnr likes this.
  4. yesongs

yesongs New Member

I've purchased them all, but the 5.1 mixes and bonus tracks are of the greatest importance personally

I've had several spins and am curious what the hardcore surround fans think

To me, it really sounds like side one is a tad under done as far as effects and panning, but this changes on side 2, and he really nailed it from there on

Some gorgeous harmonies in 2 where Howe and Squire seem to be singing in my ears through the rears, seems like something similar on the "Moment moment moment" sections on 1 should have been dealt with this way

Next spin I think I will play the "alternate" side 1 first, to see how it compares

E

5. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

I am really glad to have picked up all these Yes Blu rays and my pleasure of listening to Tales has gone up tremendously.
    I don't have a surround setup but the new mixes of Tales and also Relayer are wonderful as are all the other listening choices on these well done discs.
    I hope the 1st 2 albums will find it's way

The Bishop likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'd like to see Wilson remixes of the Banks albums as well, but I don't see it happening. Assuming the multi-tracks still exist at all, Wilson has said that the expected sales of the earliest Yes albums probably would not cover the cost of remixing, manufacturing, and distributing the discs. Which is a shame - I would love to hear an alternate mix of Time and a Word without the orchestral overdubs.

pinkchris1967, tedhead and jerrygene like this.
  7. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Too bad.
    Will make do then with my Gastwirts and Rhinos. Both aok.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Question. In the booklet on the A Note About Audio Sources page, it reads:

"While sourcing tapes for the original mix, a high-resolution transfer of the original stereo master was discovered and this is presented here as the original stereo mix tape. This is the first time that this master has been available in the digital era."
    Does this mean that the 96/24 and 192/24 version of TFTO sold at HDTracks (and still available) with a 2013 Rhino copyright date ISN'T from the hi-rez master, or is the booklet wrong? Wondering if anyone has done any comparison between the two that revealed they were the same or are in fact different.

JediJoker likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Sounds like the exact same transfer, but HDTracks released it after it was used on the Wilson set. Do you know otherwise?

JediJoker likes this.
  10. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

^^^Holy cow, that guy is long winded.

John Kelman likes this.
  12. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

And an active member here at SHF too ... :shh:

JediJoker and PDK like this.
  13. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Well, I could only read a little, but I got the gist.

The reviewer loved the remix,

And so do I...still.

Roberto899 likes this.
  14. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Indeed. I needed a lie down after that!

15. John Kelman

John Kelman Writer/Photographer, AAJ Senior Contributor

Hey, for better or worse, it's not just what I do, to quote Ray Charles, it's what whatever readership I've managed to build over the last 14-15 years has come to expect of me.

If you don't like it, that's cool - I know ya can't please everybody - but my AAJ articles consistently rank amongst the most read, so (again) for those who like in-depth, detail and context-driven stuff - and have the time and energy to slog through it (!) - well, you've got it. If you want byte/bite-sized reviews, there's plenty of that elsewhere.

Just to be clear: no offense taken; I know I can be lengthy and also very tangentially driven and information dense. It's how I think, so it's how I write. Obviously, when I write liners where length is more limited (though I do prefer box sets - like the three I've done for ECM, the one I did for Jaga Jazzist's 20th anniversary box and Arve Henriksen's Rune Grammofon box, where i can have at least 2500-3500 words to play with) I can manage without difficulty. I can do single disc releases in the 1200-1600 range as well, without (much!) trouble...

But hey, when I can let my hair down and let loose on the web with no restrictions? Well, I enjoy that too.

Cheers!
    John

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  16. John Kelman

It's also important to realize that I'm writing these for a jazz site. Yes, there are plenty of Prog fans who also love the jazz...but I also feel it necessary to go farther when it comes to writing for people who may not be familiar with this stuff.

But hey, it's all good...if you like it? Great; if you don't? That's also cool. I know I can be both exhaustive and exhausting ... :D:D

Slim Zooms, ben_wood, Lonson and 6 others like this.
  17. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

John - may you never give into perception / peer pressure out here. Express your POV freely for every naysayer there's 5-6-7 who covet when you take the floor....
    Express your knowledgeable angle anytime. I've been locked from this sight for expressing my tastes and it's not fun. Express away...

Slim Zooms, ben_wood, Lonson and 4 others like this.
  18. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Do what you do @John Kelman, your words are appreciated.

19. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

A recording like Tales doesn't come around very often. You gave it the attention it deserved. Those
    with short attention spans can look elsewhere. Your review gets a big thumbs up! :edthumbs:

20. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

We are here to read so no one should be complaining. Though people might think Porcupine Tree broke up in 2009, it is a good read. I will have to finish it tomorrow.

John Kelman likes this.
  21. John Kelman

Thanks...but just like a musician, if you're gonna put your writing out in public, especially with a popular site like AAJ, you've either gotta be able to handle criticism - no matter how it's expressed (and believe me, I've had worse, as any writer has!) - or you shouldn't be doing it. Bottom line: I do what I do, how I do it. I'm always happy to hear and entertain constructive criticism - or, if they slipped past me, factoids or grammatical/punctuation gaffs - though it's sure much nicer when folks deliver them in the same friendly, respectful tone I give them! But I always strive to be better, so treat most comments, at the very least, with all due consideration....

But I do appreciate your kind words...so thanks for that!

Meanwhile...wait'll they see the links to my Crimson box set reviews on another thread !! :eek:
    Cheers!
    John

SKean likes this.
  22. John Kelman

First, thanks to all for the kind words....everybody....

...as for PT? Well, at the very least they've been on hiatus since 2010, after The Incident tour. I should fix that...but funny, since Steven W has never once, in interviews, emails or meets, ever corrected me on that. I wish he had...

D'OH!!

EDIT: just had a relook. Wheeler it's true Insurgentes was released while PT was still active, trying to mention what was intended to be a passing refernce would, I think, be too complicated and draw too much attention. Thought it'd be a quick fix but requires a little more thought...and so I shall do so. Just wanted to mention...I'm not ignoring the correct comment!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Hey, it's only fitting for their most long winded album! :winkgrin:

24. John Kelman

Hey, I never thought of that! Finally...justification...:D

setlistthief likes this.
  25. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

John thanks for your elaboration around the best, most long-winding Yes album ever, to the extent it deserves.
    TFTO, Close to the Edge & Relayer remain my top 3 for Yes albums in that particular order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.