"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezCache

CheezCache Forum Resident

I would totally go in for a Steven Wilson deluxe version of Tales! I wouldn't be opposed to editing out just a few minutes to get the album on a single cd, but putting the whole last side on another disc would leave lots of room for bonus goodies!

This album really deserves a great remix. I think a lot more people would appreciate this album of it had one. And a 5.1 mix would be unbelievable!

Plan9 likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Can he also cut the length down in half?

(seriously, this would be a brilliant bonus feature.)

vegafleet likes this.
  3. walrus

Yes. But you also get the original mixes with it, so it's like an alternate history rather than trying to rewrite it. Best of both worlds.

JediJoker and Plan9 like this.
  4. CheezCache

It just occurred to me that it's very possible not all of the multi track tapes may be available or usable. (Just think about how many there could be for this album!) Since the whole thing is just over 80 min, if just one section can't be used, that could well shorten it enough to fit on one disc.

An abridged version would be an interesting bonus, but I would prefer any unreleased material first if space is limited. You can always do your own edits later with Audacity or some other DAW.

5. walrus

(Obviously subjective, but...) there wasn't enough solid material to fill up 2 LP's. I can't imagine there was anything left over, aside from those alternate takes on the Rhino reissue (which I'm sure will be included on the blu-ray). I just think a single-LP Topographic would be an interesting experiment, as well as something of keen interest to those of us who love Yes but just don't get TFTO due to it's meandering.

6. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

They asked people what they preferred -
    A- multiple versions of tracks 1 & 2 on one disc, multiple versions of tracks 3 & 4 on the other, or
    B - The whole album on 1 disc, whole album different versions on the other disc.

I think most people preferred B (which is my preference).

pscreed likes this.
  7. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Howe said in an interview at the time that both Revealing and Ritual were about 28 minutes long originally.

JediJoker and Larry L like this.
  8. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

In my fantasy world Steven Wilson, as well as of course doing the version we know, also include a cut down version AND an extended version based on adding in any good bits that were cut out.

JediJoker and CheezCache like this.
  9. CheezCache

I can totally respect not liking everything on the album, but I would never expect an official reissue to edit out significant portions just because I didn't like them. I don't love every track on The Wall, and there are moments on Bitches Brew that I don't quite get, but I wouldn't remove them because others might like them and I might grow to like them later too. I would be fine with a condensed version as a bonus track, or as a separate release, but not as the official album.

Was that an official poll by Yes, or a thread or otherwise?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  10. CheezCache

I completely agree with this. Give us as many versions as possible as long as it's fairly priced.

11. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

From memory the poll about how to spread Tales over 2 blu-rays was an unofficial poll at the Quad forums.

JediJoker likes this.
  12. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Whether you're hot and cold on Tales, I'm sure given the goodness added to the other Yes albums with SW treatment, a new Tales will supply an enormous s*** ton of material to enjoy.

13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Not an official "Yes" poll, but the hypothetical question was put forward by someone involved in the process...

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?18979-A-hypothetical-question-for-you

JediJoker likes this.
  14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not exactly. What transpired is that 4 out of 5 dentists were surveyed......

JediJoker likes this.
  15. CheezCache

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Not at all for me! I was attempting to be funny!
    Arrgh! Social media.....hard to tell sometimes!

17. CheezCache

It's cool, we're clear now. On with the thread!

18. Renz

Renz Forum Resident

Oh and by the way put me in with those desperate for a SW issue.

pscreed and qtrules like this.
  19. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have tried and tried for 15 years to get into Topographic Oceans. Hopefully SW's version will be the secret password for me.

20. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

Only on this forum do we get people eager to buy a new version of a CD they already have and don't even like!

JediJoker, markp, lennonfan1 and 3 others like this.
  21. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

[​IMG]

I hope special attention is paid to printing the covers, so that they get these two images align the way they should. All previous CD editions have criminally disregarded this.

Plan9, Renz, US Blues and 5 others like this.
  22. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

The old Japanese HDCD is the finest sounding CD version I've heard, with the Rhino remaster coming in second.

23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Damn, I never knew this!

KeninDC likes this.
  24. Me neither! (mind blown...)

KeninDC and zen like this.
  25. Even if you don't like 'Tales....' it is worth having for the cover art alone. Especially on vinyl. :)

nicotinecaffeine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.