Talk me off the edge of the cliff........should I go all digital?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chazz, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Shows you don't listen to black metal:laugh:

Chazz and Big Blue like this.
  2. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I purged my home of vinyl about 5 years ago, no regrets.

Chazz, peskypesky and olson like this.
  3. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Jump

Chazz and peskypesky like this.
  4. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I keep my TT around for sh!ts & giggles, with a few LPs. No need to get rid of it, but I'm full digital!

5. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I got rid of a fairly expensive phono setup a few years ago....kept my records though...sure enough about 18 months later i purchased a modest phono setup...mostly to play records/masterings that i can't find duplicated in the digital world.So i would suggest at least keep your records around for a while.Equipement can be replaced....records not so much.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Keep analog gear and lp's and CDs...

Chazz likes this.
  7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

I've kind of have gone the other way. More vinyl. Seldom digital now. Almost 100% reversal. My digital set-up is decent imo, notebook, FLAC, etc., 400 CD's.
    But I find myself reaching for an lp more often.

Chazz likes this.
  8. Roger P

Roger P Forum Resident

Not a monetary decision, no brainer, keep the TT and vinyl.

I live almost exclusively in the digital domain now, it is just dam convenient and there is so much good sounding hi res music at your finger tip, literally.

Tech has come so far that you do not need to break the bank to get really good digital SQ.

9. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I have had tinnitus for a couple of years. I have to take the good days with the bad. I don't hear the nuances as well some days it's the emergency broadcast signal. Mine was cause by use of power tools and apparently less than adequate hearing protection. They sell supplements some say they help but there is no scientific proof they do anything. Hearing-aids can help, tinnitus programing can help diffuse the ringing. My mother says it helps her. The big thing is to accept it. Some days I enjoy music as much as I ever have, other days I don't even want to power the system up.

I really encourage you to think about needle dropping your vinyl. I enjoy the whole process of vinyl. Acquiring the pressings, cleaning, playing and recording then working the needle drop, beats other hobbies.

Chazz and rockclassics like this.
  10. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Option C: Put a decorative blanket over the vinyl and go "all digital" with what you have. revisit a year from now.

I mean with Audiovana into a nice DAC....I don't know what this streamer box makes you think it's an "upgrade"...it's a change--if you don't like to use the Audiovana UI....but, I mean--I can tell you Audiovana does better than the Oppo's built in FLAC playing. So, being purpose built no longer means superior performance.

Chazz likes this.
  11. Nathan Z

Nathan Z Forum Resident

Here's the way I see it, in a more minimalist, intentional view: if none of your records are bringing you any value, and they aren't even very pleasurable to listen to, I would let them go. If there are certain records that still spark joy, curate your collection and hold on to those records. It's almost heresy for me to even say this, but I really do believe it might be time to embrace digital.

By the way, how's that PS Audio DAC treating you?

Chazz, bhazen and The Pinhead like this.
  12. WDeranged

WDeranged Forum Resident

I wouldn't get rid of something that has brought me so much joy. At least not all of it. I've done it in the past and always regretted it. Maybe 10-20 years later. Then I end up buying whatever it was at inflated 'retro' prices :laugh:

Chazz likes this.
  13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm all-digital and can't imagine going back to vinyl, unless it was an occasional nostalgia thing. But unless you have a space issue you'll probably regret it if you get rid of your LPs and vinyl rig. I kept my small collection of LPs and still enjoy looking at them on occasion while spinning the bits.

Chazz, Hammer70, Bingo Bongo and 2 others like this.
  14. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

If it is not a financial decision at all then I would keep your analog gear. Get rid of it when you absolutely don't use it at all anymore. Selling such nice analog gear when you don't need the money could be a move you will regret. I'd be willing to bet on it.

15. EdogawaRampo

:rolleyes:

Chazz, punkmusick and Big Blue like this.
  16. heyMo

heyMo Forum Resident

+1

Chazz likes this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Especially a VPI Classic, since VPI only makes their weird-looking turntables at that level now (IMO, of course...). Might not be so easy to replace if that’s the turntable he likes.

Chazz and EdogawaRampo like this.
  18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

A good record is a work of art.

bluesky, Chazz, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  19. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

OTOH,

now's the time to sell your Vinyl...
    You will know what LPs to keep.

Just found out I've been here six years! :pineapple:

Chazz likes this.
  20. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Your ears are in good shape!

Well, there are differences, but they're unimportant -- like preferring saffron to turmeric in North Indian cuisine, or the other way around. Music still sounds like music in either format. Stick with vinyl if you like the hobbyist side of things (and the associated heartache of turntable setup/maintenance issues, and expensive LPs of dubious pressing quality.) Digital, and its ease of use plus easily-accessible content, will always be there for you.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    Chazz likes this.
  21. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

I go through phases where I listen digital more than vinyl, but I’ve learned the hard way about what it takes to rebuild a vinyl collection. I’ll never make that mistake again.

I looked for some rare pressings for years before I found them, and I’ve still got numerous holes in my collection. On example is a compilation of local punk banks from the late 90s - only 1,000 pressed, and the people who are into that scene aren’t selling their copy. I finally found one for sale at a Czech record store. I cut the postage off the packaging and keep it in the record sleeve as a reminder.

Just trying to warn against a decision you might regret later. Feel free to borrow my tattoo rule - think about it for a year before you commit. I learned that the hard way too.

Chazz, ThorensSme and rednedtugent like this.
  22. EdogawaRampo

I had a Classic I and loved it. I only got rid of it because I took a better turntable out of storage and don't have room for two...Some people keep two or more -- one for stereo, one for mono, etc., but with a VPI the tonearm lifts right out, making switching carts as easy as with a tonearm that sports a removable head shell. So I'm good as far as that goes.

23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

How many records do you own?

24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

This seems like a no-brainer if you don't need the money or space - just keep it. The presence of the analog gear isn't going to decrease the SQ of the digital stuff. Plus, if you want the analog stuff back some day - and you do say that you particularly love your system - it may be more difficult to re-acquire then as opposed to now. If having something set up that you're not using seems like contributing to clutter, then I guess you could just box the components up. Sounds like the records might be even more difficult to re-acquire.

My answer would be different if you needed money or space, but since you don't, I'm not totally seeing the upside in getting rid of the gear or the records.

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I've never owned enough vinyl to build a house out of it.

Something to aspire to!

Chazz and Nathan Z like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.