Talking Heads box set 11/11

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by reechie, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ere

Ere Senior Member

It's not just an extended version, Eno remixed parts of it and added treatments. Nice to have. There is also a slightly reworked studio version of 'Crosseyed and Painless' with 'Enossification' added. I'll have to pull these out and give another listen to them.

2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

The liner notes of this box set list the remastering credit as:

Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering.

(I'm still learning the ropes here on this forum; what's the general opinion of Bob Ludwig's work here? Obviously Steve Hoffman is a gold standard among mastering folks! I cherish the SH mastered items in my collection. But how does Ludwig rate in comparison?)

Back to the Talking Heads box set:

Crazy packaging. The content of the book alone, with lots of essays and photos, printed on high-quality paper with a threaded (not glued, thank god!) spine, is probably worth $15-20 for a Talking Heads fan. Throw in a DVD that's probably worth $10-15 on its own . . . . I'd say there's a lot of value in this box set for the $46 (including shipping) I paid for it at CDuniverse.com.

Regarding the sonic quality of the remasters, I'm hearing a noticeable improvement in quality overall compared to the original CDs (lots of improved definition and separation in the instruments, plus increased depth of soundfield), but the limitations of the redbook CD format are still painfully apparent, especially in the way the cymbals seem to hit an invisible wall above my speakers. (With SACDs on my modest* system, cymbals typically crash right through that invisible wall and float around the room in a wonderful way!)

Someone in an earlier post quoted a review that mentioned more tape hiss than ever, but honestly I am not hearing it. Especially the earlier tracks sound eerily quiet to me; I would've expected a lot more hiss. This makes me suspect that some type of noise-reduction was used at some point, but I could be wrong.

Overall, I think these remasters sound fine in the redbook CD format. I had feared much worse! It's a shame they didn't just go for SACD hybrid format, though. (Yeah, I know: Warner = DVD-Audio right now, which seems to require a greater investment in time/money/effort to produce than SACD.)

Craig.

*My relatively modest system includes a Denon AVR-3801 receiver, Polk RT1000i speakers, and a Pioneer DV-563a SACD/DVD-A/CD player. I'm listening to these TH discs using the analog inputs (Monster Cable THX 800 RCA cables), not the digital optical input. (I also look forward to listening to these discs later on my Grado 225 + headphone amp combo - after it gets too late in my apartment building to play loud music. That Grado system should reveal any tape hiss and/or noise-reduction that might exist. . . !)

EDIT: All of the above was written after listening to disc one only; I'll continue to listen to the other discs and will post any different impressions as a follow-up post.

3. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Yes, I've always loved the movie. I was disappointed to find the DVD is pan 'n' scan. I always thought the band's version of the music was one of their strongest albums (ducking to avoid the flames).

But I do remember seeing the soundtrack CD in a store way back when the movie was first released. It had all the movie artists' versions on it. I never bought it. Maybe you can find a copy somewhere...

Doug

4. Anybody seen a sampler from this set? If so, what is the track list?

5. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Warning, this is a thread crap (but not against the poster).

There are a lot of myths about both SACD and DVD-A. The above quote is one of those rumours that really bugs me. It does not have to cost anymore to produce a DVD-A than an SACD. What costs money with DVD-As are the optional video content and the authoring associated with it. The difference in price in producing the equivalent material on an SACD and a DVD-A is negligible. It can cost as little as $300 to author a DVD-A that has no video content or fancy menus. Hell, some people here are burning their own dvd-as on their home computers.

End of crap.

6. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I just bought this box set an hour ago. After getting over the initial shock of the unwieldy AND disturbingly illustrated packaging (!), I scanned through Disc 2 only.

There is a lot of BASS. What's up with these new Warners remasters and the lotsa BASS? (See: The Very Best Of The Eagles.)

Bob Ludwig remastered this one. Is he making up for his almost bass-less Rush remasters?

Back to further listening...

:confused:

7. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

I ended up getting this boxset as a gift, and I have to say I am impressed. Sound is rich and the sequencing is just really fantastic - my earlier concern about this playing like an abridged set of the original albums is really melting away - the compiler(s) really spent a lot of time getting the flow just right - this is a great three disc listening experience. In hindsight, I am glad that they did not stuff this with unreleased or rare material just for the sake of doing so, as this is truly a best of the Heads. Hopefully there will be another time and place for rarities.

Packaging is overly arty and not my cup of tea - that is the Heads for ya, though. On the other hand, there are some good essays and fantastic photos.

8. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I agree with this 100%. I am really pleased with this set. I think the artwork and packaging is beautiful, but ultimately it doesn't make for the most convenient set. Still the set as a whole is great in every way.

9. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

The Talking Heads box seem to have a lot of signal processing going on. Overall,It does sound good. But, if you spin it against original vinyl pressings you will be amazed at how different some of the tracks sound. Not always for the better . Most people forget their early records are pretty organic recordings. They sound a lot less natural here. There is some real improvement on the tracks from the later Lps but the tracks from the first 3 albums sound way better on vinyl. I think everyone here is so impressed with the box because the catalog Cds that were done the first time around were not good and would have been pretty hard not to improve upon.
    As far as BASS , I have been wondering about that myself lately. It seems too much Bass is the new wave of dumb mastering decisions. Its really horrifying to get this on a re-issue. I think it is all these older artists thinking if they compete with hip-hop bass levels they a being cool and with-it. But I guess its just a sign of the times. Its sad but it is just so over for decent audio on mainstream music these days. There is still good sounding stuff being done but its not for the mass market. and if hi-rez ever kicks in, good sound will be over there too.
    Get used to that bass on all upcoming Warners titles. I just heard,from now on, Warners/Rhino is gonna have all major titles done by Ludwig. This seems to be borne out by the Talking Heads and ZZ Top boxes being done at Ludwig's Place.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, not good. Bill Inglot should be doing them. It's not just a "gig" to him; he really digs all of the music he works on.

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I've never upgraded from vinyl... would the consensus be for me to hold onto the records, then??

12. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

13. CM Wolff

CM Wolff Senior Member

Chiron, so far I think you will find quite a few people happy with the mastering job on the box - are you concluding this is a "bad" job from the posts in this thread (I honestly don't see enough here to reach that conclusion, with more good comments than bad...) :confused:

14. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

Well, I'll admit I just scanned through the posts and didn't read them too well. :o

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I wasn't going to buy this, with the bizarre, shelf-unfriendly packaging, but I'm convinced. It'll be on my store's next order.

I guess the low-function/high-aesthetic box is appropriate. Vinyl hounds may remember that Talking Heads also issued a strange, artist-designed LP package for SPEAKING IN TONGUES.

16. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

I have never understood the criticisms of what I can only call custom packaging. Unless you are just dead set against this kind of stuff. I say bring it on and the more imagination, the better.

For me, part of the fun of collecting over the many years has been these packages in the form of picture discs, odd shapes, recordings as part of books, etc., etc.

I love what ZZ Top and Talking Heads have recently done, as well as many other packages of the past.

I may not always have the proper shelf space, but I make do. What can I do with the Stones' 'Out Of Tears' tear-drop shaped single sleeve, or, Squeeze's 'Cool For Cats' kitty-face-shaped sleeve. Except create a special place for these odds and ends.

I was disappointed in the recent lack of imagination for No Doubt's Boom Box set. It didn't have to be a huge replica of a boom box, but it could have been a bit better.

And as far as Talking Heads goes, this is a great package. Good presentation of art and prose. Quality handiwork that may not fall apart.

17. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Earlier this evening, I burned a CD-R of a needle-drop of "Life During Wartime" from my Fear Of Music LP (that I bought when it first came out in '79) and the box set version after it.

To my surprise (and perhaps chagrin), the two songs sounded almost EXACTLY alike sound quality-wise. Although the box set one sounded compressed, it sounded better when I lowered the sound level before I burned it to CD-R.

:confused:

18. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Maybe Bob Ludwig has a special relationship to some Warner managers :D

19. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

Recieved the box as a Christmas present today...

I've only listened to Disc one so far, but I like what I'm hearing in the remastering, as far as the MSAB&F tracks and "Heaven" go. Even though there is a lot of bass, the tracks sound much better than the original Warner CD's. One of the tracks in particular that jumped out at me was "The Big Country". On the original WEA disc, it was very distorted and unpleasant. Now, it sounds more natural, with only a hint of distortion, but that's probably what's on the original tape.

The packaging was interesting. I happened to like the CD shelf-unfriendly shape of the "book" and many pictures and memoribilia scattered throughout. (I haven't read any of the essays yet.) However the artwork is a different story. IMO, it's pretty disturbing and confuses me. Now, I'm not very offended by looking at naked bodies, especially if they are paintings, but the tone and the expressions in the people's faces made the paintings sinister. Plus, I couldn't stand to look at that smiling guy with the bleeding genitals. I know I sound naive, but how does this explain Talking Heads' legacy. I mean, sure, they could be serious, but most of their songs are quite funky and fun. Not even any of their album covers were as weird as this.

Besides the strange paintings, this was a pretty good boxed set. Can't wait to check out the remaning discs.

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I haven't posted in a while but I want to throw in my two cents as a long-time Talking Heads fan.

The remasterings in this box are a big step up from my prior CDs. I especially like the alternate version of New Feeling.

Remain in the Light and Speaking in Tongues songs are particularly nice sonically.

:edthumbs:

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I've been enjoying the second and third discs of this set for a week or so, and it does sound significantly better than SAND IN THE VASELINE. The sequencing is good, and the selections are thorough enough that I may not be tempted to purchase the actual albums if and when they're released in their remastered form.

The packaging really, really sucks though, including tight cardboard sleeves housing the CDs and DVD, an unwieldy book design, and very tacky artwork. Easily the worst example of packaging overkill I own. I probably could have paid $10 less had this been in a sensible clamshell or booklet package.

22. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Is the DVD mixed in 5:1???

23. Chiron

Chiron Active Member

No. But I believe the reason is because most of the mixes used for the videos were either edit versions or different mixes. For example, the video mix of "Crosseyed and Painless" has additional lyrics and is about a minute longer than the version on Remain in Light.

24. opinions differ on those old cd's folks.

I do not have this new boxed set.

I do have 'Remain In Light', 'Naked', 'Bush Of Ghosts' and 'Sand In the Vaseline' however. There is not a huge difference between the original lp's / cd's versus 'Sand', the latter sounds like mebbe one tape generation clearer (exception: Naked was recorded digitally to begin with), and the eq is not obtrusive on either legacy cd release.

I respectfully disagree with the poster who stated that the original cd's were awful, what they are in fact is jut not "flashy" . . .

- - -

Mastering credits on the legacy cd's:

'Sand' - Bob Ludwig

'Remain In Light' and 'Bush Of Ghosts' - Greg Calbi / Sterling Sound

'Naked' - Jack Skinner / Stering Sound

For me the Calbi are the warmest - and the softest - of the bunch.

- - -

If any of you have not heart "Mountain of Needles" on 'Bush Of Ghosts' or "Heaven" on 'Remain In Light', you need to put down the keyboard and mouse right now and drive to a record store.

Holy cow, where was my head at before I heard those tracks? I am a different person today, no kidding.

25. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.