Tangerine dream best album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Oct 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I like melody and interesting sequences. I want it to sound electronic. When it gets to ambient, to poppy, to rocky or to middle of the road I’m out. With that said, my list of great Tangerine Dream albums is:
    • Poland (you need the full version to get some the best parts)
    • Ricochet
    • Le Parc
    • White Eagle
    • Pergamon
    • Encore
    Poland has a more 80’s sound, but it includes great examples of sequencer, melody and ambient tracks. Ricochet, Pergamon, and half of Encore are 70’s sounding sequencer music (and I don’t like the more ambient part of Encore). White Eagle is more 80’s sequencer music. And Le Parc is 80’s short melodic tracks TD.

PS. For something that sounds a lot like the above, try the first half of Chris(topher) Franke’s The London Concert album.

markreed likes this.
  2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yeah I guess that is what he meant....I don't think of that as "bizarre," but maybe I listen to more out stuff than most people...

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Bizzare? No! It's an album ahead of its time. I remember some people were disappointed back then but little did they know that what they dismissed was actually an ultra early example of "dark ambient". In fact it's quite an achievement.

Deibu and bzfgt like this.
  4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember in the 80's they did a box set of the early albums and a reviewer in Stereo Review or one of the other audio magazine described it as "entire sides of electronic noise." I happen to like that but I get the impression many people associate TD with mellower stuff, thus my comment.

bzfgt likes this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Oh, yeah...I think that there are a lot of people who know them from the 80s, what with the soundtracks and all. I never really heard them then (unless I watched a movie or something) and think of their first 7 or 8 albums mostly when I think of them...

6. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I'd add Logos as another "great example of sequencer, melody and ambient tracks".

Interesting that the live albums are listed frequently in the greatest album list.

--Geoff

Yost and bzfgt like this.
  7. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Yeah you really can't compare the two. There's much more movement in Rubycon, especially when the galloping sequences get going.

Rubycon's my favorite 70s TD album.

Regards,
    Dave

bzfgt likes this.
  8. Blizzard

Blizzard Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,What's the best version of "Phaedra" you can get on CD?

9. Deibu

Deibu I Dream of Tangerines

Hands down, the 2019 remaster. The sound quality is superb. You also get bonus tracks in the form of Steven Wilson remixes of "Phaedra" and "Sequent C'".

Regards,
    Dave

10. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

White Eagle

11. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I know all their albums from 1970 to 1984 and some of the later stuff. And while I love most of them, none has the same effect on me as Edgar Froese's second solo album, Epsilon In Malaysian Pale.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. tug_of_war

Now it's

1. Quichotte
    2. Rubycon
    3. Zeit
    4. Atem
    5. Encore
    Haven't changed much...

13. Neonbeam

That's a really good album. A British singer said this about it: "It was the soundtrack of my life when I lived in Berlin" :whistle:

There's an Eastgate CD from 2005 where Froese was tampering with the music, partially re-recording and remixing it.

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. tug_of_war

I've heard about that recreation of the album but I haven't heard it yet.
    As for the British singer, that's my favorite phase of his career.

Neonbeam likes this.
  15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've not yet heard a redux yet that didn't make me wish I was listening to the original. They're not bad par se, just pointless, imo.

Deibu, tug_of_war and Neonbeam like this.
  16. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Because mostly they aren't live albums :)

Roberto899, Neonbeam and HiredGoon like this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Surprised not to see Underwater Sunlight in your list, seems as though it would slot right in.

I bought Exit on Vinyl last week just because the cover art on my CD copies aren't what I grew up with. I wanted this, rather than the standard one:

[​IMG]

18. Fitter Stoke

Fitter Stoke You don't suspect my life's a mess...

I guess that mine has to be ‘Phaedra’. Although I’ve veered to earlier and later TD albums over the decades, it’s always ‘Phaedra’ - the first of their records I ever heard - that I come back to. The title track is sublime and still unlike anything else I’ve ever heard. Simply timeless.

19. Neonbeam

What is that? An alternate sleeve for "Exit"? Cool, never seen this before!

20. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I rather think the CD sleeve was an alternate sleeve at first and became the standard

21. ganma

ganma Senior Member

That was the easiest version to find on CD when I was hunting it down years ago. Eventually I managed to find an earlier Japanese CD with the original music. I still have both. Nice to contrast them.

Neonbeam likes this.
  22. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yes, it's Exit, but with a different sleeve. This is the version I owned back in the day, and being a dweeb, I've never been able to get used to the more familiar image. The brain is a weird and wonderful thing - the album doesn't sound right if the cover is wrong. :D

Still, I've scratched this itch now. The back cover is cool too:

[​IMG]

Bucks, Yost and Neonbeam like this.
  23. William Gladstone

William Gladstone I was a teenage daydreamer.

Phaedra is the first one I heard and probably my favorite for that and other reasons, but right up there with it are (in no particular order) Rubycon, Ricochet, and Exit.

Any suggestions from the 80s?

24. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Tangram, White Eagle and Thief. Those three and Ricochet were my favorite TD albums when I was in high school and college.

25. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

All of it except Tyger.

White Eagle, The Park is Mine (soundtrack) and Le Parc is my top 3, if I had to choose.

And Exit, but you mentioned that.

William Gladstone likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.