Tangerine Dream - Pilots of Purple Twilight: The Virgin Recordings 1980 -1983

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by puffyrock2, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I’d love to have this but unless I can get a stupid price similar to Hades (£49.03) I can’t justify/afford it

2. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Yeah, I usually buy from Qobuz or 7digital however I suspect Qobuz won't have it until the release date and it's probably going to be £99 or something.
    Having said that, I did cancel my Amazon and go with Apple. It's a few pounds cheaper and AAC which is a bit better I guess.

LivingForever likes this.
  3. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

I know this thread is about the forthcoming Pilots Of Purple Twilight set, but I noticed today that on Qobuz US all of the tracks from In Search Of Hades are available as individual downloads in cd quality for $1.49 each. The cost for the full set is shown as $128.49, but if you buy all the tracks individually it only comes out to $89.40 (60 tracks x $1.49)...or less if you only want some of the tracks. Not sure if it's the same across all regions, but it might be worth checking out and also waiting to see if they do the same thing with the new boxset.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  4. Robomaks

Robomaks Forum Resident

5. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

uzn007 likes this.
  6. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Sorry if I missed this info but will this be getting a US release?

Maurice and JediJoker like this.
  7. Station2Station

Station2Station Forum Resident

Unlikely to ever see this release in front of me.
    Currently unavailable from Amazon AU.
    The previous box is costing $256. Australian dollars.

ispace likes this.
  8. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

So far, Burning Shed is the only one I’ve found that will ship to the US but with the shipping included, the cost comes to over $160. I really hope other alternatives present themselves.

Howard Bleach and Juggsnelson like this.
  9. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Well, the previous box is available on Amazon US, so maybe they're just a little behind schedule. I'll post here if I find anything...

JediJoker and Juggsnelson like this.
  10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I ordered from Burning shed and with shipping my total came to $130.00. Did you actually try to order the disc - I ask, because I noticed VAT was included until I got past the first screen and VAT was removed because I'm in the US. Maybe with VAT included the total would have been $160.00?

11. humanracer

Yes my cut off point is Livemiles and the departure of Chris Franke.

12. humanracer

I wonder why The Keep is missing 3 tracks.

13. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

The short answer seems to be: because these three tracks weren't on the original master tape. Do you want to give us a little bit more insight, @Wouter?

Slim Zooms likes this.
  14. humanracer

Also @Wouter do you know if the 1980/81 live tracks exist in better quality? They were some of the best. It’s a shame they never did them in the studio.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Thank you for the tip, that was exactly it. Pre-order placed!

MikeT likes this.
  16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Amazon has high quality mp3s? Since when? :confused:

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just got the news! Oh man, I want this!!
    Although I'm sure I won't getting it with super low price as the last TD box set...

[Edit:] Just read the entire Dominion Theatre concert is in the set. Love the Logos album! This is exciting!
    Well, too bad the East Berlin live recordings (known from the Quichotte/Pergamon LP) are not part of the box.
    I've read that both concerts at Palast Der Republik were recorded, and previously only the evening gig was released officially.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    SteveRes, Slim Zooms and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Guess high quality MP3 can only be contant 320kbps.

19. Mirror Image

Well, at least, you can maybe play with the box as that’s really the only extra enjoyment you’ll get out of it. This box set is a joke compared to the first set, which was loaded with extra material (5.1 surround mixes, unreleased concerts, etc.). This new set looks like a cash grab to me. You’re better off buying the individual releases when they come out, but if you want to blow your money on an empty box be my guest.

20. Mirror Image

My question was when has Amazon started using top bitrate mp3s? I’ve used their site before for a download here and there and each time the bitrate wasn’t 320.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As I said, I wouldn't have luck getting another TD box at super low price.
    With the last one I had the chance paying just 50 bucks for it (possibly an offering error on Amazon at the time, but I got the box).
    I don't think I have the money for this, as this might be €150 or higher again.

Besides this, is it possible the complete Dominion concert or unreleased soundtracks get an individual release?

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interesting, the few AutoRip MP3s I got were all 320kbps throughout.

23. Mirror Image

I’m not talking about ‘Auto-Rip’ which is something that is offered sometimes when you buy an album through them and you can play it back in their Amazon Music app. I’m referring to their ‘digital music’ section. I’ve never seen an mp3 from them above 256kbps.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay, sorry for the confusion. I never buy or stream digital stuff on Amazon.

25. Mirror Image

It’s quite possible we’ll see some some individual releases of the extra material.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.