Tannoy Arden Legacy have landed! *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarmineRed, Sep 25, 2022.

1. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person Thread Starter

ever tried on a pair of raw denim jeans? Or a new pair of shoes? They break in over time but they don’t just fall apart right after.

Daddy Dom, OC Zed, Benzion and 15 others like this.
  2. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be better to let the OP enjoy his new loudspeakers without you trying to pick apart a purchasing decision he has made?

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I agree, that you must be patient. Breaking in some new components can be painstaking. How much break-in was done at the factory? I was told my Wilson's had a 50 hour break-in period before leaving the factory. I gotta say the Wilson's sounded great right out of the crate. Very little change after 100 hours.

Then there is the equipment up stream, from the cartridge to the wire, to the preamp, to the amp. Synergy is important to me.

Oh yeah, speaker placement is crucial. I learned this the hard way.

jonwoody likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

These guys show up in every thread about break-in, or cable etc. Insufferable, and disrespectful.

Vinyl Rules!, Triffid, jusbe and 8 others like this.
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Enjoy the new speakers!

CarmineRed likes this.
  6. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Perhaps if you employ a driver that doesn't use a spider or foam surround. There is movement here of physical materials with no replacement for break-in. To me it's like enjoying a fine wine while it opens up.

timind, Gi54, jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  7. CarmineRed

I like that analogy!

Gi54, jonwoody and inzite like this.
  8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

happens all the time. my former spendor speakers sounds pretty bad up until 125 hours or so. the only speaker I have owned that sounded good out of the box was the KEF Ls50s, a rare exception.
    another notable example was some boston acoustic car speakers i had about 15 years ago. i paid $300 for the pair and they fit right in my ford explorer doors. sounded thin and unbearable compared to the cheap stock speakers- until they broke in- and man did they sound unbelievable after that!

Tim 2 and Swann36 like this.
  9. macster

macster Forum Resident

Beautiful

I will break them in for you so that you won't have to bother with that mundane stuff.

Just trying to help.

M~

10. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I’m a big fan. Me after buying some new selvedge denim :wiggle:

congrats on your new speakers!

CarmineRed and jonwoody like this.
  11. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

Probably.

12. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

Congratulations! Sweet setup.

CarmineRed likes this.
  13. Malibu John

Malibu John Forum Resident

My pair arrived earlier this year and I am very pleased with them. I did not find them harsh out of the box. Have you experimented with the foam bass bungs? I plugged all the ports last night for the first time but I can’t say I have noticed a huge difference.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Gi54

Gi54 Forum Resident

I guess there is a constant speaker change (rather like a pane of glass getting thicker at the bottom) that'll be varied depending on use, atmospherics etc etc - but far far slower than the initial 'break in' and imperceptible year on year until it gets to a few decades and I may think to myself 'those drivers are as flabby as I am' :D

I'm not an advocate of no initial change because my hearing is getting used to it. Changing a single bust driver with a new one on some older missions showed it clearly by reference to other in the pair. Friends have noticed it too on the Eatons.

jonwoody likes this.
  15. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

For the past 20 years or so my Levi’s seem to fall apart before they break in…

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  16. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

Where are these made? The Tannoy site states the speaker cabinets are made in the UK and Poland.

17. CarmineRed

UK

Tim 2 and jonwoody like this.
  18. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

Maybe @CarmineRed example, sad but true there is no Tannoy factory in the U.K. anymore.

sad day for coatbridge tannoy factory

Swann36 likes this.
  19. teag

teag Forum Resident

The current issue of Stereophile states they are still made in the UK. They were planning a China factory but changed their mind, after much protest, including from Pete Townsend, they remained in the UK. In Scotland.

Benzion, CarmineRed and jonwoody like this.
  20. Swann36

Swann36 A widower finding solace in music

Must be a secret factory as clearly the factory in Scotland is no more or more likely Stereophile just accepted what they were told rather than check it out

Chris81 likes this.
  21. blowinblue

blowinblue Kind of not blue.

I like the OP's setup. Makes me think of old school...but cool school. And the piano sitting on the floor is a nice touch. :)

M. M.

CarmineRed likes this.
  22. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Could be, I suppose.

Did a search and there are articles/statements about an intention of going to China in 2016 but then deciding to stay in Scotland.

What evidence do you have?

EDIT: Here is an excerpt from the Stereophile article in the October 2022 issue:

"After this last acquisition, the new owners announced that Tannoy production would be moved from Scotland to China and the Scottish factory would be closed. That led key Tannoy personnel—quite a few of them—to leave the company. It became a major local controversy: Even Pete Townshend went to bat to keep Tannoy. Subsequently, Music Group announced that products would continue to be produced in Scotland, at a new manufacturing facility.

Today, the old Tannoy factory still exists but seems destined to become a housing development. So, where are these speakers built, specifically the classic, wood-body Tannoys—the Canterbury, the Westminster.

Did that that new factory ever get built?

“There is a new factory in Scotland,” said Kevin Deal of Upscale Distribution, Tannoy’s US distributor, in an email. “The cabinets have been made in a furniture factory in Poland for decades and continue to be. Tannoy cabinets, drivers, and crossovers are handmade.”

On the back of each speaker, a sticker reads “Designed, engineered, and manufactured in the United Kingdom.”

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  24. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

That's a spectacular system you have there John and congrats on your Ardens as well.

25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Paradigm also requires leaving the grills on and a long run-in time.

Nice looking speakers :righton:

CarmineRed and jonwoody like this.