Tannoy in the Philadelphia area?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sjerseydad22, Nov 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Bek HiFi in Allentown is where I eventually purchased my Audio Research preamp from. It was a very nice used but spotless SP8 for a very good price. I highly recommend them!

BillWojo

2. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

So Louis was suppose to have a Vintage 1982-ish Audio Research SP8 Pre in stock worth about $1500? HMMM Doesn't sound to me like you were serious about buying a current model ARC product. Don't think Louis missed out on a sale...just a waste of his time more likely. You could have stayed in your own state and auditioned plenty of current ARC gear in Lambertville, NJ at the ART OF SOUND which is just as close to you. Then you could shop around in PA for a better price to save on sales tax. Just a thought for when/if you move up to modern day gear.

3. gregleo

gregleo Active Member

This won't help as I'm based in Belgium but wanted to share I'm a happy owner of a pair of Tannoy Cheviot... haven't looked back since. Paired with a Luxman L-550 axii.

4. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Well when I talked to him he had nothing in stock, new or used. Not anyone I'd like to deal with. He's just an order taker, can get that anywhere.

Billwojo

5. Billion$Baby

I'm glad you can order Audio Research Gear anywhere. Congrats your the 1st person to ever say that. You sound like a parrot saying the same thing as the OP. Will check back in 30 years when you move up to a Ref 6!! Might want to think about listing your Gear in your profile so we can be in awe of your equipment.

His showroom is filled with several Sonus Faber Speakers, a few Wilsons, About a dozen Amps from Mac, Viya, Burmeister, Pass Labs etc Numerous Turntables, Esoteric CD Players but guess what....None of them in the 1500 - 2000 price range so you would be wasting your time. Better off staying in the kiddie pool.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

What's with your attitude Billion$Baby? Yea, my system is pretty much junk. That SP8 is feeding restored Mac MC40 mono blocks, speakers are modified Altec Valencias and I have a choice of TT's to use. Technics SL-M3, Yamaha PX-3, Pioneer PL-41D, JVC QL-A7 or my Oracle Delphi. Yep, all junk. Try getting out of the other side of the bed tomorrow. Your attitude sucks!

BillWojo

Limelakephoto likes this.
  7. Billion$Baby

Im sure Erik and his Dad at Bek would love to hear how you talk about other dealers. You trash somebody who's trying to make a living at selling gear for no reason. Just because they dont have the gear you want to hear on display?? Obviously you had NO INTENTION of buying any new ARC Gear because they are WAAAAY out of your price range. Why would you travel from Burlington to PA to check out a store NUMEROUS times when that store is by appointment only like MOST audiophile stores and there are more convenient ARC dealer locations to go to anyway?? Your complaints about a honest and extremely fair seller who goes out of his way to please his clientele is utterly disrespectful and unwarranted. As for Junk...you said it. Mac=Mid-Fi

8. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

You still have an attitude problem going on. Must suck to be you.
    Normally a dealer has trade ins and such and they are glad to offer it up for sale. He stated that he normally doesn't. I'm not interested in ARC's latest gear, it's not the sound I like. My LS15 is up for sale because I find it to sterile hence why I was looking for an SP8. Erik at Bek was a pleasure to deal with and I would buy from him again.
    I never saw your buddy's showroom, each time I stopped by he was closed.
    I'm a service tech and travel around the tri-state area so I go up Street Road quite often. Your buddy is only a block off of that road. Bek is just 20 minutes north of Quakertown and I have a customer that I see often in Quakertown.
    I have an ARC VT100 MKII sitting here but it's way overkill for my Altecs and the combination that I'm running sounds sublime with the Mac's.
    Sorry you don't like Mac tube amps, if everyone was Mac fans there wouldn't be much need for other brands. I'm not so sure that I would like your system if we are so far apart in gear value. I've been to high end shows and most of it doesn't sound all that good to me. But what ever you have I wouldn't publicly put it down in a forum if I didn't like it, I have way to much class for that.
    Put your big boy pants on and grow up for Petes sake.

BillWojo

9. Billion$Baby

He has PLENTY of Trade Ins which you can see on his webpage. His store is NEVER Open as stated numerous times before. Its APPOINTMENT only. Had you called in advance he would have been there. Ive been comfortably retired since I was 44....Yea it sucks to be me. :)
    If you knew how to use this page you would be able to see my entire inventory or anyone else's for that matter. Doubtful you would know what your looking at thou as its not "State of the Artifact". As far as Class goes..if you had any you wouldn't trash another persons means of making a living..ESPECIALLY in a public forum which could hurt his business.

10. gov

gov Forum Resident

Is ARC the newest TANNOY speaker selling in Philly?

11. Tom

Tom Senior Member

You might want to audition a new speaker from Fyne Audio which was formed by former Tannoy staff in 2017. I've heard them and they are really good. Aaron at Now Listen Here in Harrisburg carries them.

12. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

B$B., I could give a crap about some over priced gear that you have. If your so happy with it you should be in a much better mood and be listening to it instead of crapping on folks in this thread.
    Two of us, TWO OF US have contacted your buddy and he told BOTH of us he is an order taker and doesn't stock gear. Told us both that he doesn't have a showroom.
    Your telling us that he has a showroom full of gear yet the owner said just the opposite.
    Have you changed your medication lately?

BillWojo

13. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

SouthJerseyDad, sorry about all the thread crapping going on in this post but if Bek in Allentown is now a distributor I would give them a call. Erik handled my transaction when I purchased my ARC preamp and was a pleasure to deal with. They also answer the phone! Not sure where you live in SJ but Quakertown is not that far in the scheme of things. There is a nice record store connected to the HiFi shop as well.
    Good luck in your search and let us know how you make out.

BillWojo

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

As a Harrisburg resident in the professional radio field who has actually NEVER HEARD of this business, I find it interesting that I just searched for the first time for it, and although I've found the website quickly enough, one thing strikes me at first glance...it's logo includes the slug line, "A Tenacious Sound Store". Pretty tenacious indeed, naming your business "Now Listen Here"...yet nowhere on the ad, or any of the links, does it actually indicate the business is IN Harrisburg, NOR give an address indicating it would like you to come listen to products at a location. Admittedly, we're havin' a little pandemic right now, but...grownups do tend to do their retail business at places called "stores", where people can know where to go to give the business, y'know...business...:rolleyes:

The thread asks if there are dealers for a product they want to buy, in a particular major population center, and one response is willing to cheerfully suggest an option in a nearby city...only, the retailer doesn't want people to know where he is. :doh:
    Even when his very name, asks them to visit.

15. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

A few years ago I was interested in Tannoys. I called Audio + Video Expressions since they were the closest dealer (still a 3.5 hours drive each way) and arranged a visit. When I arrived I was treated courteously and allowed to spend as much time as I wanted listening to the two Tannoy setups. The first was the Canterbury I believe, and the second was the Kingdom Royal. Neither had the sound I was looking for but the only way to find that out is to listen to the speakers, and I was grateful to have had that opportunity.

Apparently they no longer have any Tannoys on display which is unfortunate for someone who wants to audition them, but it is a sad fact of life that a high-end audio retailer can’t carry a full inventory of each manufacturer. Inventory costs a lot of money.

Billion$Baby likes this.
  16. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Not sure why Now Listen Here has come up. Now Listen Here was/is a audio dealer in Lancaster, PA that opened up 3-5 years ago. Nice guy, small shop. Forget his name maybe Rob Early???

A year ago (or so) he sold to Tenacious Sound out of NY, Syracuse maybe.

As NLH he had Rogue Audio, Joseph Audio, Jolida, Bel Canto, Music Hall, Totem Acoustic and others over that time.

It was an open store with hours. Not sure the deal not that Tenacious has bought the business. I think it may be appointment only, but I'm not sure.

I didn't know NLH had a location in Harrisburg. Thought the guy in Harrisburg was called something else. Drawing a blank.

17. Billion$Baby

Don't worry about SouthJersey Dad....he has disappeared from this site for the past 3-4 months and hasn't logged on....again you would know this if you knew how to use this page.

TANNOY changed distributors in the past year or so....guess you didn't know that either.

Louis said he doesn't have a showroom?? That's pretty funny. There are 3 rooms full of gear at the location you went to. So do you think he pays rent for a 1000 Square Foot store with nothing in it?? Even one of the posters last night said he auditioned 2 TANNOY Speakers there. Guess that makes you a Liar huh?

18. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Well B$B, I wasn't going to answer any more of your drunken ramblings but where do you get off calling me a liar? If Salectric said he auditioned speakers there than he must have. I know him from different forums and he has always been a standup guy.
    I can only report what your buddy told me over the phone and also told the OP. That is my only experience with your buddy. If your buddy wants to lie over the phone to potential customers that's fine. It's his business and he can run his business anyway he see's fit. He clearly told me that he just takes orders and had no showroom or any used gear. Since than I have had no contact with him nor would I recommend him based on my experience.
    Since your a self proclaimed billionaire, I'm sure he will cater to you, for all I know he is putting his kids through college from the money he makes from you.
    Are you always this argumentative and insulting with forum members? Most forums that I participate in would ban you for good with your surly attitude.

BillWojo

19. Billion$Baby

Nope. I only call out Liars and people who talk nonsense and try to discredit innocent people. Like I said before Why would anybody pay rent every month on a property if they weren't going to use it. Somebody that just takes orders could operate that way directly from their house. Your also "Twisting" the words of the original poster. He didn't say anywhere that Louis is "Only an order taker" for all the brands he carries AND that he doesn't have a showroom. He merely said that for TANNOY Louis could only take orders and had none in stock he could listen to. Im not friends with Louis nor does my inventory coincide with most of the brands he carries....again if you did your homework you would already know this but HEY why stick to facts? Whats that old saying...better to be thought a fool and remain silent then open thy mouth and remove all doubt? How fitting. Why don't you take a few minutes and go to the website and see how many pages of Used gear he has. Your the one who should be banished for trying to ruin a persons business and talking crap when the other person isn't here to defend themselves. Pretty cowardly if you ask me.

20. Billion$Baby

Here is the list of JUST Mcintosh used gear on the page along with a photo of 1 of the smaller showrooms.

McIntosh MC601 amplifiers(pair)
    McIntosh MC402 amplifier
    McIntosh MC275 V
    McIntosh MC2205 amplifier
    Mcintosh MX122 processor
    McIntosh C2500 preamplifier
    McIntosh C34 preamplifier
    McIntosh MCD550 CD Player (showroom demo/warranty)
    McIntosh MCD500 CD Player (full factory service)
    McIntosh MVP891 universal player[​IMG]

21. SOS

SOS New Member

Great news! I went up there to listen to some Harbeths. Will check in with him about this. Thanks -- made my day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.