Tapes as collectibles

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justme87, Dec 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Certain Ratio...

Factory "Graveyard and The Ballroom" green pouch cassette...

[​IMG]

Won't be playing it any time soon as it apparently sheds and I have the Soul Jazz CD anyway.

patient_ot and c-eling like this.
  2. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I have to admit, I was a collector, who one day realized what a waste it was.

Felt sooooooooo much better getting rid of most of it. It really is a disease, and I now like having minimal stuff. I must be getting old!!!

Dale A B likes this.
  3. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

So now you're a troll "doctor"?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  5. pez

pez Forum Resident

In the uk they used to sell tapes either on their own or in multi packs from raves. Big organisations like Fantazia, helter-skelter, dreamscape etc as well as smaller ones. I Sold a few a little while ago and they made way more money than I ever imagined they would. One on its own went for £65. It was luck of the draw for me though as I didn’t know which ones were valuable.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I once heard that a true collector’s family has the local Goodwill’s phone number memorized.

7. macster

macster Forum Resident

Bro

Do what ever makes you happy.

M~

The Trinity likes this.
  8. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Some people can't handle wealth/abundance and can't adequately prepare for the future. Those types should keep things simple.

The Trinity likes this.
  9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

And no people can take it with ‘em when they go!

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  10. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Sealed digitally sourced tapes from newer musicians/bands could become rare and of value. Since I prefer all analog and music from the Sixties and Seventies, I'd rather have used AAA cassettes. Cassettes don't take up much space and have a lot to offer.

ClassicalCD and The Trinity like this.
  11. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Yes some tapes are collectible, butch the majority don't fetch high prices. Like with CD and vinyl, it's impossible to predict which ones will turn out to be sought after in years to come. The format as such has no influence, what matters is how rare/unique/novelty a given release is. Also it varies depending on what country or what year the release is from. To get a feel how varied it is, why don't you go to discogs and research the used prices for some of the albums of your favourite artists.

c-eling likes this.
  12. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

The track listing of the "Substance" cassette release was different from the CD release. That fact alone makes it interesting and collectible.

c-eling likes this.
  13. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Are you talking about cassettes, or reels?

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  14. Justme87

Justme87 Active Member Thread Starter

i think i'm going the start collecting tapes of only the stuff never released on other formats.
    Listen to it digitally and keep the tape sealed (since i dont have a tape player)
    I would just hate the fact a sealed tape could deteriorate without me even knowing it and become worthless. Or will it remain of some value still bein sealed?

The Trinity and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

This was actually the companion cassette labeled 'Sides', however it does contain True Faith Dub, not found on it's UK cassette counterpart.
    Once again the US got screwed when it came to New Order :laugh:

patient_ot and anorak2 like this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

As with sealed old stock LP's it's always a risk to the buyer. I've noticed a few sellers 'play grading' cassettes, it's actually a huge help to the buyer.

DRM and patient_ot like this.
  17. Justme87

For a record it’s all about how it was stored I think. Plus if it is sealed, you should check for warping

my sealed tapes I’m planning on storing them vertically, out of the sun, in my a low humid music room (in cabinets)

The Trinity likes this.
  18. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Isn't that contradictory? If it was never released on other formats, you can't listen to it digitally. :) I don't think there are many examples though.

MINT will up the resale value considerably, no question. Sealed proves it's mint.

19. Justme87

A lot of bands I listen to released their first demo or ep on tape and are available on bandcamp

Sealed means mint, but cassettes could deteriorate over time. So I could never tell if they are sealed.

20. ANALOGUE OR DEATH

ANALOGUE OR DEATH Forum Resident

Sealed means sealed.It does not mean mint.

21. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Unless there is an obvious visible flaw, a sealed cassette, or LP, or.... will be presumed mint.

OP, you should do whatever makes you happy. Investing in physical media can be dicey, but if you still love the item after it sky rockets in value, or bottoms right out, then there is no harm done. I’ve got LPs that I’ve spent over $1000 on, and they have held their value and / or increased in value; however, they may eventually tank as the demographic that loves these records, ages and dies. I’m just pleased to own these rare albums, whether valuable or not. They’ll always be rare.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    Cody B, anorak2 and DRM like this.
  22. harby

harby Forum Resident

You're going to look back at the time when you could have bought all those now-collectible CDs for $1 a pop at the pawn shop.
    Just like LPs.

[​IMG]

We're talking 600%+ return on my investment, only the housing market beats that!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    c-eling likes this.
  23. Justme87

Thx for your opinion! Appreciated.
    Whatever I buy right now, I never intent to sell some day. I have about 1500 records that I will never part with.
    As for the tapes, I know they can degrade. Even if remained unplayed/sealed. That is what’s bothering me: owning sealed tapes but not being able to tell if the work fine neurotic I know

24. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Think this is cassettes. I'm a hoarder, lol. Worth a lot more than CDs and way more collectible.

I used to work with Cedric Bastians. He was one of the inventors of the media when he worked for Phillips in Holland. He had the patents bronzed and up on the wall of his office.

andrewskyDE, DRM and Justme87 like this.
  25. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Future buyers know that too. Most of them are collectors who likely don't want to open the sealed package. It's like asking stamp collectors if they write a lot of letters.

DRM likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.