Taping Project: Sample Program - Disc # 31 [Master # 0323]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Dec 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Friends,

Most of you are aware that since September 2002, I have engaged myself in recording the biggest hits of the AM Top 40 era or the period covering 1955 through 1974. As this project has evolved, my recording has taken on (2) distinct projects. One in more strict chronology, on Reel Tape, and the second, in programmed sets, direct to CD. Presently I am on Vol. # 63 on the Reel Tape project or 1971. On the 'direct to CD' project, I recorded Disc # 31 last night. I thought it might fun to share this program so, all of you could see how I sequence these compilations together.

The key to recording listenable and highly enjoyable compilations basically comes down to (2) major factors:

1) Track Sequencing: Mixing musical styles and tempos in order to create a compelling program for the period covered on the set

2) Level Matching: Recording the tracks so they are uniform in volume throughout the program

On the 'direct to CD' project, I have recorded tracks in natural time period sets. Disc # 31 covers the period 1955 through 1963. Additionally, on this project, I have recorded both Mono and Stereo mixes of certain tracks, different masterings and even a few different edits of selected tracks on different volumes.

Here is the track listing for my latest volume:

Disc # 31 [Master # 0323]

1. Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin (Mono 'hit' single mix) 1959
    2. Stay - Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs (Mono) 1960
    3. Don't Be Angry - Nappy Brown (Mono) 1955
    4. Do You Love Me - Contours (Mono) 1963
    5. You Can't Sit Down - Dovells (Mono) 1963
    6. I Got Stung - Elvis Presley (Mono) 1958
    7. Gee Whiz (Look At His Eyes) - Carla Thomas (Mono) 1961
    8. If You Wanna Be Happy - Jimmy Soul (Stereo) 1963
    9. Tonight (Could Be The Night) - Velvets (Stereo) 1961
    10. So Many Ways - Brook Benton (Stereo) 1959
    11. Rockhouse (Parts 1 & 2) - Ray Charles (Mono) 1958
    12. Chain Gang - Sam Cooke (Mono) 1960
    13. I like It Like That (Part 1) - Chris Kenner (Stereo) 1961
    14. He Will Break Your Heart - Jerry Butler ('Drier' Stereo mix) 1960
    15. Little Darlin' - Diamonds (Mono) 1957
    16. Leavin' On Your Mind - Patsy Cline (Stereo) 1962
    17. Ruby Baby - Dion (Stereo) 1963
    18. Susie-Q - Dale Hawkins ('Dry' Mono mix) 1957 [SH Mastering]
    19. Personality - Lloyd Price (Stereo) 1959 [SH Mastering]
    20. I Count The Tears - Drifters (Mono) 1960
    21. Old Cape Cod - Patti Page (Mono) 1957
    22. Sumpin' Jumpin' - Bumps Blackwell (Mono) 1958
    23. The Loco-motion - Little Eva (Mono, Underdub, UK 'hit' single mix) 1962
    24. The Monkey Time - Major Lance (Mono) 1963
    25. You'll Lose A Good Thing - Barbara Lynn (Mono) 1962
    26. Shirley - John Fred (Mono) 1959
    27. That's All There Is To That - Nat King Cole & the Four Knights (Mono) 1956
    28. Five Months, Two Weeks, Two Days - Louis Prima with Sam Buttera and the Witnesses (Mono) 1956
    29. Wolverton Mountain - Claude King (Stereo) 1962
    30. Since I Don't Have You - Skyliners (Mono) 1959
    31. I (Who Have Nothing) - Ben E. King (Mono) 1963
    32. So Rare - Jimmy Dorsey (Mono w/count-off) 1957

Thanks for your indulgence!

Bob:)

2. billh

billh Senior Member

Very interesting selection, Bob. I've read about your projects with great interest, because I do the same thing myself. I'm sure everybody else here does, too. It's funny to think about all the comp tapes and CD's that must exist.

Just a couple of questions and observations (NOT criticisms): I know you like the mono hit version, but I was curious about your choice of the mono Chain Gang. I really like the sound of the stereo on the Sam Cooke SACD Portrait of a Legend.

Did you use the SH Mastering of So Rare?

Keep providing us with these lists. I just might use them to make my own comps.

3. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Nice comp, Bob :thumbsup: ... my kind of music :) ... nice to see you included Ray Charles' and Dallas' David "Fathead" Newman's "Rockhouse (Parts 1 & 2)" ... and The Drifters' "I Count The Tears" ... which source did you use for that one?

4. Bob Lovely

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your comments. I have recorded the Stereo mix of "Chain Gang" on another volume. Recording different mixes affords me the opportunity to present the same track in different mixes and as mastered by different Engineers. The bonus in this approach is that I get to enjoy some favorites more than once on the project. One thing to remember is that the Stereo mix to 'Chain Gang' is missing one final vocal line [most likely an overdub] that is on the Mono 'hit' single mix. The version of Chain Gang' on this program was transferred from a NM '45' by a generous Forum member on my behalf.

The SH mastered of 'So Rare' will appear on a later volume. The one I used on this program has the count-off and I took it from the Ace CD, Teen Beat.

5. Bob Lovely

Hi Chip,

"Rockhouse" was a must [thank you]. The version of 'I Count The Tears' on this program was taken from the Rhino Ben E. King "Best of" CD...

6. billh

billh Senior Member

Is that version of I Count The Tears better than the Atlantic The Drifters' Golden Hits? That's the only Drifters I have and I always felt it could sound better. I love I Count The Tears.

7. Bob Lovely

Bill,

The disc was mastered by Dan Hersch in 1991 [as I recall] and I think it sounds very nice. This disc is still readily available and nicely priced at that. I paid $9.99 for it.

8. Bob Lovely

Bill and Chip,

This CD...

Attached Files:

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Thanks, Bob ... as a big Drifters fan, I have Rhino's 1996 3-CD Rockin' & Driftin' which I highly recommend ... it was mastered by Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch ... can't be w/o "Room Full of Tears", "Sweet For My Sweet" and "When My Little Girl Is Smiling" ...

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Bob,

You KNOW I enjoy your tape/CD-R projects, and reading about them. If I thought anyone here would me interested in one of my custom home-made CD-R comps, i'd post them here too. My comps are mostly either 60s or 70s music.

That's is a nice CD-R you listed, but there are a few I never heard of.

11. Bob Lovely

Grant,

On this project, as you might suspect, I am recording what many folks might describe as 'deep tracks' in addition to more well known hits...

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.