Target Vinyl Blowout

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Jrr, Jul 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ivor

ivor Senior Member

This clearance is probably happening to free up store shelf space, in which case a lot of these would be shipped from stores instead of a regular distribution center. Stores probably don't have LP mailers.

My only pick up is Prince Sign o the Times. A bit warped and noisy, glad I didn't pay $30+ for it. The sound is good when I can ignore the noise though.

GentleSenator and Davidmk5 like this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, you're definitely correct about the stuff shipping from stores.

i picked up multiple copies of sign o' the times and the pressing quality is quite bad. there are no identifiers, but it has all the united pressing signatures. even some non-fill on side 4 of each copy. the cut sounds great, but definitely glad to not have paid $30+ for this.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  3. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Same experience for me.

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Picked up at my local Target:

• Amy Winehouse - Back to Black (exclusive pink vinyl) $5.99
    • Khalid - American Teen (2LP exclusive blue vinyl) $6.29
    • Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night Sweats - The Future (exclusive clear vinyl + alt cover) $7.69
    In the section were maybe 30 copies of the new Gaga + Tony Bennett LP and the exclusive green copies of McCartney III along with the new Streisand, Selena Gomez.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  5. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I am pleased to report the following:

1) Prince - Sign O' The Times Target vinyl just play tested to perfection. I didn't detect any flaws. This will be a go-to listening experience with the CD super deluxe version being reserved for the times when I want extended listening of this terrific album.

2) Bee Gees - Timeless is en route.

3) The sale is still going on for those who assumed (like me) that it would end on Saturday.

6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

lucky! i'm considering grabbing another copy to try and find a flawless side 4. it does sound great, but it's been a frustrating experience so far.

SJP likes this.
  7. rcsrich

rcsrich Forum Resident

Yeah- went through several of the orange Target versions- one does seem to be an RKS cut, but was an awful pressing and the other was an older cut with a hum in one channel. The blue Walmart pressing is on par with the Acoustic Sounds version.

fmfxray373 and Davidmk5 like this.
  8. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

I went to grab All Things Must Pass tonight because it said one store around here had some. I called and had them hold one for me and when I got there the guy said they have a whole bin of clearance records if I wanted to look. Around the corner was a cart stuffed full of them, probably 200 records. I've never seen anything like that around here, at most I've seen 8 or 10 on clearance at one time. I wonder if that's just normal because they're selling more vinyl these days or if they overestimated demand.

There were probably only about 15 different records, 12 or 15 copies of each. The new Robert Plant and Alison Krauss album was down to 8.50, that was probably the highlight other than ATMP for $21. I finally picked up Chris Cornell - No One Sings Like You Anymore too, also 8.50

9. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Can I ask which SoCal Target? For a cart full of 200 records, I might drive a bit...

10. kevinkasson

kevinkasson Forum Resident

Probably not worth it, besides the ones I mentioned above they had a bunch of copies of Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight, Various - Music For The Movement, Streisand - Release Me 2, a couple others. Pretty much the stuff that I've seen on the shelves for the last few months, I was just surprised to see so many copies all at once. I think they also had Black Pumas which I've definitely already seen on clearance a couple times before at Target, I guess they keep getting more to clear out.

CWillman likes this.
  11. ENelson409

ENelson409 Forum Resident

"The sale is still going on for those who assumed (like me) that it would end on Saturday." I visited four Targets in my area yesterday. The two Mega Targets had small vinyl sections. There were more records at the normal sized Target. Anyway, some of the Targets had stickers for all of the records that were on sale. I looked at a couple and they all said "good through July 23."

At the last Target I went to, a Target rep was working nearby, while I was going through the records. He said, "There are several clearance records on endcap 45A." I went over there and found many records stacked, lying flat in two piles. Prices ranged from $8 to $12. I picked up Tattoo You (only one copy), Nathaniel and the Night Sweats, Demi Lovato, Foo Fighters, and Steely Dan live. I didn't realize they had clearance endcaps at Target. There were several games on another shelf.

Also, the Lady Gaga / Tony Bennett album is available cheaper at stores (around $8) than online, if interested.

Davidmk5 and Fred Dender like this.
  12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

How is the colored vinyl Marvin gaye? Lots of bad reviews on warping

superstar19 likes this.
  13. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I picked up at 50% off or more:

• Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - The Future (pleasantly surprised!)
    • Prince - Sign O' The Times
    • Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - Love For Sale
    • John Lennon - Gimme Some Truth
    • Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raise The Roof
    • Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    • Cat Stevens - Greatest Hits
    • The Go-Go's - Greatest

Brendan K, Davidmk5 and superstar19 like this.
  14. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Well this is distressing news having just ordered an orange one. How can it be that the same orange series contains more than one version of this record? Have they featured it twice over time? Because it doesnt make sense they would use two masters for the same run unless there was a mess up at one or more pressing plants.

This walmart blue one, I guess I need to track that one down then, I was under the impression (from here) that the Target one was the same master or stamper or something as the UHQR version. Guess not.

jb

15. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Then there is crazy shat like this, read the description:

Robot or human?

yep an idiot bastard file alright

jb

16. Did you play your copy?

I schiit you not….and you won’t believe this.

Side A is Marvin Gaye, nice sounding too.

But Side B is……Kanye West!

I flipped the record to side B and I’m thinking, was Marvin Gaye a rapper????? And wow, I am hearing MF’r a lot more than I would have expected on a 1971 record. What the hell?????

I used Shazam to find out what the I was hearing. Four Kanye tracks! Someone at the pressing plant is having some fun with us. I actually have one other record in my collection with a mismatch between the two sides; Head East, Flat as a Pancake. What are the odds?

Edit:

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

The 3rd comment! He got Bob Seeger!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    aperfecttool and Davidmk5 like this.
  17. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Well this is even more distressing!

Just got Whats Going On and the Coltrane disc and I have to say I don't think I will be ordering from Tar-get any more. Records thrown into a box with some air pillows in with it and a huge red "INTIMATE APPAREL" sticker on the side of the box (I sheit you not). Box seal was broken and the records lying in there (no intimate apparel). Not obviously damaged but not the best of handling I would say. Gonna take a miracle...to quote Ken Boothe probably quoting someone else.

So, tomorrow, the question: damaged? Crap pressings? Carpenters or someone else totally irrelevant to my existence on the B side? What's GOING on? indeed.

jb

Fred Dender, BGLeduc and Davidmk5 like this.
  18. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Gonna try & play mine tonight , i bought so much Vinyl in this past week i'm WAAAAY behind , i did get the Lionel Richie which for $11 is a great double greatest hits ...few clicks & pops but overall good .
    Also the Diana ross & the supremes #1's that one is terribly warped probably going to take it back .

I did read those reports with the wrong music on the Marvin G. My stores have Piles of this lp still .

BGLeduc likes this.
  19. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Just swung through my local Target to grab a cold Diet Coke and decided to check the status of the vinyl markdowns…

I went through the whole vinyl section and grabbed a copy of anything I thought I might even remotely want and took them to a price scanner. Roughly 80% of them came up with either a half-price markdown or even more. None of them were tagged on the record itself, and only a few were tagged as being on sale on the shelf.

Wound up grabbing:

Paul McCartney III $8.09
    Paul McCartney IIIimagined $17.49
    Beatles Let It Be with T-Shirt $18.99
    Beatles 1 $19.99
    Leon Bridges Gold-Diggers Sound $7.49
    Beach House Once, Twice Melody $8.39

20. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I played mine last night and kinda surprised that mine has the right side #2 , it's pressed a bit off center & has the "sway" to it & the opposite side has the warp ,but it doesn't sound bad so i lucked out :righton:

shocked as i ALWAYS get defective stuff , kinda been a running family joke in the family :laugh: so there are certainly copies with the right side .

I was in 1 of my targets last night & they actually re-stocked some of the stuff that wasn't there before (all stuff that's been mentioned in this thread prior) I wonder if they are cutting out Vinyl all together ? or limiting what is carried in stores ?

BGLeduc likes this.
  21. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

That was an expensive Diet Coke!

22. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Hahahaha right?!?

Fred Dender, Davidmk5 and SJP like this.
  23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

A buddy of mine corrected me in the error I made by not picking up the Marvin Gaye album. I therefore went to my local Target this afternoon and sourced one of the half-dozen or so that were on the shelf. Upon returning home and playing the album, I found it to be rather flat, centered and containing the correct sides A & B. What a steal for $12 & change, what an amazing album that I had yet to hear previously.

24. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Nice!

Was really hoping the Weeknd's "Dawn FM" Target exclusive was going to ring up at a discount! I have read that's a good cut and sounding LP.

hutlock likes this.
  25. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

I feel like I ought to get back here and eat some words (in the most pleasant manner possible), played my green Marvin Gaye and its Marvin on both sides, lies flat, a pop or two I think I heard but really a great deal on a good sounding record.

On the Coltrane, A Love Supreme, orange-sicle kind of color vinyl, I have to say this was the score of the year, at least. Lays totally flat on the platter, did not hear one out of place sound over both sides, excellent pressing and mastering, if the blue one from Wally World is supposed to be better than this, I am finding it hard to imagine how. Sounded to me like some great dynamic range throughout both sides. Like someone up above said, if you do not already have six copies of this, its a total must, especially at the price.

Now I await the blue A Love Supreme from Walwart.

jb

Davidmk5, SJP and hutlock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.