Taskmaster moves to Channel 4.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MrCJF, Oct 6, 2020.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake. Thread Starter

After nicking Great British Bake Off from the BBC, C4 have now nicked my favourite celeb gameshow from Dave (that is the name of a TV channel in the the UK, not the name of a bloke).

Any fans a bit worried about this?

Love the trailer, though.

2. MrCJF

Incidentally, my search didnt turn up any Taskmaster threads but did turn up @Taskmaster and @taskmaster2.

Is that some sort of forum job title, or are Greg and Alex long time lurkers here?

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I started watching this show on YouTube after seeing articles about its quick CW cancellation. It's freaking great. I found it at just the right time--I didn't even wanna watch anything American, for a while, I was so fed up with things.

I hope they still upload the Channel 4 episodes to YouTube, in the future.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MrCJF

It's good to know it has been watched outside the UK. I hope it continues to be. Channel 4 has it's own online platform for the UK, not sure about the rest of the world.
    It starts here on 15th October.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  5. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I don’t think there should be any reason to worry - like GBBO, the show is made by a production company, and whether they sell it to Dave or to Channel 4, I don’t see why it should make any difference.

Having binged every single one of the previous series during lockdown, I can’t wait to start on the new one!

MikaelaArsenault and MrCJF like this.
  6. MrCJF

I was hoping they would do a Champion of Champions special after seties ten, like they did after series 9. I hope the move between channels wouldn't scupper that.

7. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Oh yeah, that would be great! I think Covid is more likely to scupper it, to be honest...

8. MrCJF

Series 5, not series 9!

9. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

The only thing I don't like about Taskmaster is that Bob Mortimer probably won't be on it again.

One or two of the later seasons have been weaker than the earlier ones in my opinion, because of the quality of contestants, but hopefully they'll have access to a new pool of comedians with the channel 4 connection.

I'm looking forward to it.

LivingForever likes this.
  10. MrCJF

One of the joys of the series is that you know one contestant is going to start taking it really seriously and Greg is going to wind them up with his scoring.

I think it's more to do with finding new tasks for them to do. It must be one of the most demanding formats creatively.

11. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Somehow discovered this show during lockdown, right before Alex & Greg started the HomeTasking challenges. Judging by some of the submissions it looks like they were able to tap into a global audience during the pandemic. Really hoping they can take advantage of that even though prior attempts in the US have failed SPECTACULARLY.

Here's a trailer for the American remake which aired briefly on Comedy Central in 2018:

I love Reggie Watts but I'm not sure I could think of a worse person to fill Greg's shoes on the show.

Wishing them all the best on the move to C4 and hope Avalon can figure out a way to break Taskmaster into the US without ruining it any more than they have in the past...

12. planetexpress

How's everyone enjoying Season 10?? For what it's worth the first episode was blocked in the US but the 2nd episode appears available on youTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2kdbLcVUU). Guess we'll find out by episode 3 which choice was a a mistake...

Also, a version of Taskmaster sans Greg and Alex just started up in New Zealand of all places a couple days ago. Guess they're really starting to branch out...

13. planetexpress

Looks like the Series 11 cast has already started filming (yeah Lee Mack!); here's hoping it's better than Series 10 (poor Kathrine Parkinson). Also a New Year's special and another Champions of Champions!

14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I thought series 10 was ok but suffered from the understandable lack of audience and some uninspired tasks (the one where they had to act out the play was just interminably tedious).

Looking forward to series 11, Lee Mack is a terrific choice and I'm a big fan of Mike Wozniak.

15. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Found it depended so much on the contestants as to how much we enjoyed it.
    Like Greg Davies. Less keen on Alex Horne
    Recorded a load on the Tivo and still not got around to watching
    I'll give C4 a bash

16. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

This will be a good thing, Dave have about 25 minutes of adverts per hour deeming the channel unwatchable unless you pvr it.

17. Phil Tate

Only half way through series 11 but it's already a huge improvement on series 10. Just goes to show that chemistry between the contestants and Greg and Alex is absolutely everything, and makes even the less interesting tasks more entertaining. And the lack of a live audience is much less obvious this series.

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

The only thing that pees me off about programmes moving from BBC to Channel 4 is the 15 minutes of adverts every hour on Channel 4.

19. Phil Tate

Agreed - Taskmaster hasn't though, it's moved from Dave to Channel 4, so there were always adverts.

20. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Must try it again. Didn't deliberately stop watching just lost interest
    Fingers crossed

21. Phil Tate

Series 12 off to a terrific start tonight, I'm a big fan of Morgana Robinson, and even Victoria Coren Mitchell was quite funny (I can find her quite irritating on Only Connect).

Shame they played the pre-watershed censored version though. Presumably an error.

Edit: it was an error, confirmed by Alex Horne on Twitter.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    LivingForever and OldSoul like this.
  22. Phil Tate

The Taskmaster twitter account just posted this:

"Get ready for #Taskmaster's New Year Treat with...
    Adrian Chiles
    @ClaudiaWinkle
    @LadyLeshurr
    @JonniePeacock
    and @SayeedaWarsi.

Coming soon!"

Ugh, Claudia bloody Winkleman. This might be the first Taskmaster I can't bear to watch. Is it not enough that she ruins Big Fat Quiz with her embarrassing drunken aunt at a wedding shtick?

23. MrCJF

I, on the contrary, love her contributions on Would I Lie To You, so I'll be happy to watch this.

24. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Taskmaster is s0 dependent on the contestants
    We'll give it a go

25. Phil Tate

I'm struggling with this current series. There's no chemistry between the contestants, and the tasks aren't interesting or funny. I'd say all three New Zealand series and the first Australian series have all been better than the last few UK series.