Taylor Swift New Album "folklore"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gregorya, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Yes, there’s a bit of a marbled effect when you hold it up to the light.

I can’t go down the rabbit hole of collecting all of her vinyl, but I have scoped out what is out there. There is a cool turquoise swirl Record Store Day? pressing of her debut album that now commands hundreds of dollars on eBay. Same deal with the limited orange vinyl of Reputation. If she actually follows through on re-recording her old albums and offers them on vinyl through her website, I will definitely buy those.

[​IMG]

Davidmk5 and Isitquiex like this.
  2. JackS

JackS Then Play On

3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

Taylor tweeted “not a lot going on at the moment” today, which means something is probably coming soon

theMess, RSteven, Spencer R and 3 others like this.
  4. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

Yup, the last time she posted a picture with that caption turned out to be the day she started working with Aaron Desner and wrote Cardigan. Today's photo appears to be in a particularly rustic looking room, which has me wondering if it's a music video set.

Also in her acceptance video for Artist of the Year at the AMAs today she said she's recording all her old music, so it sounds like it won't just be the hits. And she said she's re-recording it in the studio she originally recorded it in?

agaraffa and Davidmk5 like this.
  5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

according to what she said last night after winning artist of the Year at the AMA's she confirmed she's indeed in the studio re-recording the old albums

Taylor Swift Reveals the ‘Real Reason’ She Missed the AMAs

6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Not that she needs advice from me, but, if I were her, I’d stagger the re-recorded albums and put out a new one every six months or so instead of dropping them all at once. That doesn’t mean she can’t re-record them all in one huge session, I suppose.

theMess, RSteven and Davidmk5 like this.
  7. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Weird, obsessive project. I wish she could just let go. It's not like she needs the money. She so often seems so motivated by a sense of being slighted and disrespected and not getting what she feels like she's entitled too. It's not an appealing part of her character. But I'd be quite interested in what a mature Swift could do in revisiting some of the early material like "Fifteen" or "Dear John" or "Mine" or "Speak Now." A kind of substitute product recreation of the old arrangements of "You Belong With Me" or "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together," however, holds no real attraction for me beyond just kind of novelty interest.

RSteven, WhatDoIKnow and Davidmk5 like this.
  8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I agree , she should certainly do 1 at a time .....maybe she'll do a giant Boxed set Ala Garth brooks style with all the albums for really cheap ?

9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I've read mixed comments on vinyl pressings of Folklore - has anyone get the regular 'In The Trees' EU pressing and can comment on it? I have vinyl pressings of Red/1989/Lover, and while they're not perfect, they're generally decent sounding pressings. Does this line up with those quality wise?

10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

11. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

This documentary better reveal who William Bowery is

12. FJFP

I haven't watched the trailer, but isn't it more of a 'Live Performance Film' than a doc?

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The project will feature the superstar singer-songwriter and collaborators Jack Antonoff, The National's Aaron Dessner and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon performing and sharing the stories behind the songs on her latest album, 'Folklore.'

Taylor Swift has yet another surprise in store for fans.

The superstar singer-songwriter announced Tuesday that she'd filmed a concert film for her latest release, the quarantine-inspired Folklore, which will premiere on Disney+ on Wednesday, Nov. 25.

Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions, which Swift herself directed, was filmed in upstate New York in September and features Swift and collaborators Jack Antonoff, The National's Aaron Dessner and Bon Iver's Justin Vernon performing and sharing the stories behind the songs they recorded thousands of miles apart in separate rooms.

Swift and Co. will perform each song in the order they're presented on the album and reveal stories behind each track.

Swift announced the news of the Folklore film on social media by paraphrasing one of the lyrics to the Folklore track "Exile," which has quickly become a fan-favorite. "You haven’t seen this film before."

She also indicated that today's date is connected to her favorite number 13, as 24 minus 11 equals 13.

The project gives Swift and her fellow musicians a chance to perform live in a year in which concerts, like her planned Lover Fest performances, have been canceled around the world due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

And Swift's latest release was announced just hours before nominations will be revealed for the 2021 Grammys. Swift recently revealed that she's re-recording her earlier releases after the master rights to her first six albums were purchased by Scooter Braun and subsequently sold to private equity firm Shamrock Holdings.

Earlier this year, Swift released a film of her performing tracks from her last album Lover at a surprise concert in Paris, taped in the fall of 2019, which aired on Disney's ABC and later streamed on Disney+ and the Disney-owned Hulu.

The Folklore film drops at 12:01 a.m. PT on Wednesday, Nov. 25.

14. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I think it actually is. I just want answers!

15. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I wonder if she will release these performances for streaming? She's definitely taken to this (absolutely wonderful!) trend lately.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree, and yet, Paul McCartney has held similar grudges over his lifetime over Michael Jackson and others “stealing” the Beatles publishing from him, and also over the order of “Lennon/McCartney” songwriting credit. Almost no musicians have the bargaining power early in their careers to get the deals they later feel they should be entitled to. It’s not just her.

And, to a large degree, a song such as “You Belong With Me” stems from a similar sense of being slighted, disrespected, or overlooked, a sense of not being fairly recognized as the “cool girl” in high school. Whether that chip on her shoulder was justified or not, as a fairly well known musician once observed to me, most people who achieve stardom in music have what he called “some sort of burr up their a$$.” Who she is and what she’s accomplished can’t really be severed from the less appealing aspects of her personality, and one could say the same of John Lennon or dozens of other iconic artists. Without her grudges and resentments, I highly, highly doubt she would have been driven to achieve what she has achieved.

I agree again: if she simply does her best to copy the original performances and arrangements, which, I believe, is what Def Leppard did when they re-recorded their back catalog during a similar dispute with their original record label, then I’m not so interested. If, on the other hand, she re-records her better early ballads, such as “Never Grow Up,’ with, say, Aaron Dessner, or in the style of Folklore, then I would be very interested in that.

theMess, RSteven, Davidmk5 and 2 others like this.
  17. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Very Bummed this is Exclusive to Disney + it's getting crazy how many apps & subscription you need these days to see stuff :laugh::shh:

vivresavie, Peachy and Deuce66 like this.
  18. Memph

Memph Forum Resident

The audio will be available on streaming services at the same time as when the concert film first airs apparently.

She received nomination for 6 Grammys today

Album of the Year: Folklore
    Song of the Year: Cardigan
    Pop Album: Folklore
    Pop Song (solo): Cardigan
    Pop Song (duo/group): Exile
    Song for Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts

I can't decide what I'm hoping to see the most. For her to finally win her first Song of the Year Grammy, or for her to win Album of the Year a third time.

19. Musick

Musick Forum Resident

it does

ghoulsurgery and FJFP like this.
  20. Exitmusic

Exitmusic Forum Resident

I've seen the nominations for Album of the Year and I'm certain Folklore will win it,I like the Haim album more but the Grammys always like to back a winner.

Davidmk5 and FJFP like this.
  21. FJFP

It's Joe Alwyn - he wrote the piano and melody on Exile apparently, if I read that correctly!

Davidmk5 and ghoulsurgery like this.
  22. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

whoa. I was kidding! I can’t believe we know now haha

23. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I haven’t gotten to watch the movie yet but there’s a new album out to stream that’s got all 17 album tracks plus alternate versions of every song from the movie

FJFP likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Looking forward to getting around to watching this this holiday weekend. I'm not big on watching concert films or music documentaries as a general rule, my interest tends to drift in most cases, but I am interested in this one.

25. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

being named artist of the decade, and she's still unhappy, really?