Tears for Fears-Songs from the Big Chair-Nov.4 Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterzac, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

It definitely does!! I've burned my own CD, complete with custom-made cover (adapted from the VHS image). Makes for a really nice listen.

I did "remaster" the sound a bit though, I amplified it (because for some reason it has unnecessary headroom) and I tried to fix the dropouts in the applause between "The Prisoner" and "Ideas as Opiates". I managed it to sound so good that you wouldn't hear it anymore.

2. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It's been a while since I compared them side-by-side, but I recall the Rockpalast 1983 show as being pretty good too. If I recall, that one seemed a lot more guitar-based than the Hammersmith show. It might be time for a re-evaluation though.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. JulesRules

A CD/DVD of that, as well as a CD of the BBC radio concert from around the same time, are high on my wishlist for future TFF releases!

They even played "The Way You Are" at the time...

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes please! :righton:

JulesRules likes this.
  5. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Well, I fudged a little bit by starting off with the "Edits" disc, as yesterday I just wanted to hear something I (kind of) knew, but slightly tweaked. This evening I went for the Sessions/Unreleased disc, and what a joy!

This set is probably going to be my favourite thing ever.

EG.

Jagger69, jamesc, Thorpy and 3 others like this.
  6. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

The Hurting boxset just arrived from jpc.de :)

Eric_Generic and JulesRules like this.
  7. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Anyone know if these will be re-pressed again of if some stock hasn't made it to the various distributors yet due to the current Global situation?

8. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

I found A boxset on the u.k. amazon site for $29 u.s. dollars a month ago.....with the added vat and s&h it came to $60 u.s. dollars....it just arrived.i found "THE HURTING" box on the German amazon site for 56 euros.. after vat and s&h it came to roughly $75 u.s. Dollars. Still waiting for delivery on that....

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My Shout box arrived from AmazonUK yesterday!

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  10. Sebastian saglimbenI

Yes my "S.F.T.B.C." Box arrived on monday.....beautiful inside and out!I can't wait for the S.D.E. of "S.O.L." Big box!!

11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

12. LedHetland

LedHetland Forum Resident

Received my SFTBC set last night through Grooves.com (or whatever after “dot.”) and I’m super stoked to check this set out. I’ve been waiting since the first run sold out, and I “justified” not getting it because of the titanic price and that I already had the first Deluxe Edition and MFSL. Luckily I’ve come around this time. ;)

First question though, and maybe it’s been answered, but I remember someone noticing a mis-balance in sound of the remastered album in the first run of the super deluxe set, does that appear to possibly still be an issue here/hear?

13. Sebastian saglimbenI

Great question....seeing both the "S.F.T.B.C." and "THE HURTING" re-runs have "2014" on the labels I'm wondering if there is a difference....I'll have to check because crazy me own both S.D.E. Original runs...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    LedHetland and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

According to SuperDeluxeEdition's Paul Sinclair, these are just exact repressings of the same product. No fixing, adjusting or changes have been made to them. So I'd assume that the new sets will have identical characteristics to the originals.

EG.

15. Sebastian saglimbenI

Thanks for that quick clarification!that's what I suspected too......

Eric_Generic and LedHetland like this.
  16. LedHetland

Thank you for the clarification. I bought the individual remastered stand-alone album on CD some time ago, but could not really tell of an imbalance then. If the record company knows about it, maybe they’re hoping most won’t notice. I certainly haven’t seen much talk about it here.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

So they screwed up the stereo remaster AND the multichannel mix? Pretty sure one of the channels in the 5.1 mix is out of phase iirc. That is lame to reissue it without fixing it.

LedHetland likes this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

All I know is listening to the SFTBC box I'm so sorry I didn't order The Hurting...

19. LedHetland

It seems to appear that way. I scrolled back some pages and found a very detailed article on the subject of the author’s favorite version of SFTBC. Though my favorites are almost opposite of their’s, it was helpful to see the “mistakes” made on the releases. The author also estimates the imbalance to be up-to 1.5db on one side to the other.

Here’s the article:

The Best Version Of… Tears for Fears’ The Hurting and Songs from the Big Chair

albertop likes this.
  20. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

The actual album disc in the boxset would be the last one I'd play, if at all, as I already own multiple versions of it (90s CD, reissue, 2CD deluxe etc). I had planned to listen to the Hi-Res version on the DVD, is that the other one which has had sound issues?

EG.

LedHetland likes this.
  21. LedHetland

Judging by Hymie’s post, it looks like the 5.1 may be compromised as well. I haven’t looked through all the posts to see if anyone else has confirmed or denied this.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  22. LedHetland

I also have the original W. germany Atomic CD, MFSL, and 2-CD Gary Moore Remaster. IMO, I find this remaster to be kind of in-between the MFSL and G.M. Deluxe Edition. It’s not up-front as the D.E., and the MFSL seems to have a clarity and spacing that I enjoy. The remaster just kind of sits weirdly closer to the MFSL, but without any characteristic that gives it an edge. Apparently the MFSL has clipping, but I haven’t looked enough into that. And I haven’t listened to the W. Germany since buying the latter.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  23. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And the MFSL has the channels reversed I believe.

24. LedHetland

That is true. Though the channels being swapped doesn’t bother me at all.

25. JulesRules

This is new information to me.

The hi-res remaster of the original mix has the same imbalance as the CD master, if I'm not mistaken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.