Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Cameras, huh? All I'll say here is that I used Olympus OM SLRs and a Leica M4 (an early original version) and a few other rangefinders when I was a kid. I had a couple P&S cameras in the early days of digital but then bought a Nikon D90. Later, I bought a D7200. Now, I'm sold on Fuji and have three of their bodies an an assortment of lenses. Still active with photography to the point of taking an indie study studio class each semester. Grew up on analog but totally in the digital camp here (even though I still keep film on hand and have every single film camera I ever owned going back to 1960).

As to golf clubs, I've owned two sets in 30 years. Fishing tackle? Same thing. My last fly rod was purchased in 1991. Still works as well today as it did then,

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    BayouTiger likes this.
  2. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I love it! I'm not sure where I fall. I think I just set a particular budget and get the piece of gear I like most that falls into the budget.

recstar24 and csgreene like this.
  3. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Actually, I like to think I'm a 90%er but around here, I've learned I'm not... ;)

I've done the same this as to budget because as important as music in my life is to me, I have a lot on my plate so I'll set a budget for certain things. Audio gear is one of them. Astronomy gear is another. I recently had the opportunity to buy a very hard to get, limited quantity Astro-Physics refractor. When I was notified, I ordered it immediately and sent half the $3500 total cost in as a deposit. The thing is, I've got a couple 95% refractors already and don't spend the time under the stars I used to. When I realized I was going to spend $3500 for something that would be, at best, marginally better than what I already owned, I cancelled the order and got my $1750 back. Guess what paid for the 1210GR and VM540ML with change leftover? ;)

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

All cool, enjoy your new table, it's a nice one!

DoF likes this.
  5. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Very cool. I just gave my little cheapie telescope to my goddaughters. As much as I wanted to get. into it, just too much skyglow here. Also found that fighting Louisiana night creatures made it difficult to concentrate on anything long!

luckybaer likes this.
  6. Andre Acvedo

Andre Acvedo Sargento Primero

I certainly agree with a lot you say and you can obtain excellent sound at an affordable price and you certainly don’t have to spend thousands to obtain it. I would though agree with @Slick Willie that separate phono pre amps can totally transform the sound of a system and you don't have to spend a lot of cash on one to notice the difference. I used the phono stage in my Marantz PM series for quite a while until I bought a Rega Fono and the difference was night and day.

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Sometimes I plug my Pioneer PLX-1000 with my Nagaoka MP-110 and my Musical Fidelity V90 LPS phono in my main amp and speakers just for fun. It's not embarrassing, sounds good. Mid fi can be very enjoyable for sure.

bru87tr and recstar24 like this.
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

But not in the case of the Ortofon shibata Vs Audio-Technica microline cartridges discussed here recently. Here we have an example where a "cruder" linear contact profile (i.e. the 2m Black) is more expensive than a micro linear one (AT ML line).

Andre Acvedo and patient_ot like this.
  9. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Along those lines, I just viewed the microline diamond on my work microscope and it's a thing of beauty. Really symmetric with complex cuts and crystal clear diamond.

10. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

If one is interested in the 1210GR, Musician's Friend is at 17% off right now. You'll have to call in the order but they just extended 2% more from the 15% I got about a week ago. Delivered price as of today is $1411 (at least to me in Idaho).

11. MusicNBeer

Everyone should be interested in the G/GR!

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

That's pretty significant for a TT that doesn't really go on sale.

13. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Be sure to let us know your impressions are once you get it setup. Obviously you are not the perfectionist that some of us are, and that's totally OK. I'm still interested in knowing how you like it after you get it.

MusicNBeer likes this.
  14. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I don't know... I get the impressions that the OP is mostly a very dedicated music listener who after 35+ years finally felt the upgrade itch for a new TT. And this seems to be a significant enough purchase for him, that he might be feeling the need for just a little hand-holding initially to help to keep him from feeling buyers remorse.

Regardless, to the OP: Congratulations! I really hope that you enjoy your new TT! :righton:

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm not the OP. I don't feel buyer's remorse. And I'm not a perfectionist, I'm an 80%er...

MusicNBeer likes this.
  16. MusicNBeer

You have to actually get it and listen before feeling the remorse! I doubt you will though, but you never know being an 80%er.

csgreene likes this.
  17. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

Considering I've had a Technics table for so long, I bet I'll like this one too, especially for the use and engagement of using a turntable the way I did prior to the early 80s when I got my linear tracker.

18. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Git one of them there bug zapper thingies.

BayouTiger likes this.
  19. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979 Thread Starter

I’m the OP and you shouldn’t feel obliged to explain why you don’t want to be spending your money on audio equipment, changing gear all the time for marginal/barely noticeable gains on audio quality - I also have no interest in that. Spent that money better to go out with your friends to listen to some live music, instead of staying within 4 walls switching cables and doing A/B. And yes 1500 is a lot of money for a turntable.

xpresso and H8SLKC like this.
  20. BayouTiger

Had one. They flew off with it!

Slick Willie and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  21. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

:biglaugh:

22. BayouTiger

So the big question is whether to go with a G or get the GR and a JC3jr? My phono stage is not up to justifying a new table. My current tables are all pretty good. I just love the 1200 ergonomics!

23. MusicNBeer

If cash isn't a big issue then the G, for nothing other than it being such a thing of beauty. Not only is it engineered really well, it is gorgeous. I have zero faults with my GR, but still would like the G.

Robert C, recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  24. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

G in the main system, GR in the secondary.

Drewan77 and Slick Willie like this.
  25. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

That's almost certainly where I'm heading & intend to get a 1210GR for the American system next year. At present the house has so much remodelling going on that it will be summer before I'm ready & have the free time to listen properly.

Now back in the UK for a few months, enjoying my 1210G again (after extended absence, it's like hearing a new turntable each time I return!).

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.