Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

It's tough to nail it down to simply the GR as we're talking different cartridges as well as an upgraded phono preamp (with the Debut Carbon I used Pro-Ject's PhonoBox V and with the GR I've been using a PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter.)

So comparing those two analog setups the latter is much more refined sounding, more accurately pulling information out of the grooves. The difference is not subtle and I was happy with the Pro-Ject set up for what I'd invested in it.

The other big factor to me is piece of mind. It's such an easy to set up and adjust table that no audio nervousa ever sets in. It allows you to get on with enjoying the music and not worrying about speed stability, VTA, motor hum, belts wearing out, etc.

The ability to swap carts so simply is also a big plus in my book.

I was initially hesitant to spend that much on an analog setup. I thought simply spending twice as much might have been fine. But once everything was in place and I went back to records I knew well I was confident that the extra expenditure was well worth it.

It's been an absolute joy to use and is likely going to be my last table (I'm in my early 40s).

2. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I agree on the assessment of the Rega. I heard the same thing you did.

HiFi Guy and punkmusick like this.
  3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

It is no contest. Functionally speaking, and sonically speaking, the SL-1200 G gets my vote. It does what I need, does it well, does it reliably and consistently. And other than a cartridge or cartridges (and a few headshells) needs no "upgrades". Balance it, set the tracking force and VTA to taste, and play. It does not get between me and the music, it adds nor subtracts nothing. It simply does it's job. The GR is even better.

wgb113, recstar24 and classicrocker like this.
  4. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think you have this backwards. The GR comes in at $1700 and is a direct price point competitor to the P6. The 1200G comes in at $4000, which would be more in line with the just announced P8.
    And having demoed both the 1200GR and the P6, I do not believe one is inherently better sonically, but they are clearly different. However I would give the edge on functionality to the GR for a wide range of reasons.

Opriv, loudinny, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979 Thread Starter

What about Sonics? Did you audition them with the same cartridge?

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The GR then will do it for me.

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Besides sonic presentation, the question wether SL-1200GR versus alternatives is also a matter of features.
    I personally wouldn't want a turntable without VTA on the fly. In my experience, 0,5 mm makes a difference with shibata stylus for example, and it is nice to have this option easily available. I also don't want a turntable without pitch adjustment on the fly. I rarely use it but I do have a few records that run at an incorrect speed. Ramones "It's Alive" is a record that comes to my mind. It runs about 4% too fast, with digital you can correct it in Audacity but to listen to it in a record at the correct speed you need pitch adjustment. The Technics makes that very easy. Detachable headshell is also very nice, makes it much easier to install and align a cartridge. I have all the respect in the world for belt drive turntables at the same price point as the GR, like the MoFi Ultra Deck. I've never heard of an owner that doesn't love it. But for my practical needs, the GR is just perfect. Being sonically equivalent, I have no doubt.

8. displayname

I discussed sonics earlier in this thread. Unfortunately I couldn't find a dealer that carried both the P6 and the 1200GR, let alone set them up with the same cartridge. I was buying them as most consumers would, with the packaged cartridge. Honestly I wouldn't bother a dealer with trying to get the same cart on multiple tables unless I was spending a lot more money or I was providing the carts for them. Using the same cart would be the ideal test, but I'm a regular guy, not a reviewer bringing these into my home for shoot outs.

HiFi Guy, Giacomo Belbo and Davey like this.
  9. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Has anyone here put a Rega arm on a 1200GR, or heard same? If so, how'd it work out?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Seems like a backwards step. You lose the elegant VTA adjustment, azimuth adjustment, and easy change cartridge ability.

11. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Caved in and bought a 1210GR, absolutely gorgeous piece of kit and built like a tank! I'm coming from a Rega P3/Exact which sounded excellent but i was seduced by the looks of the Technics.

Antwurp, Paul K, csgreene and 6 others like this.
  12. displayname

Let us know how you like it! It is excellent, and almost opposite of the Rega in every single design element.
    Also, what cart are you going to start with?

Exiled Geordie likes this.
  13. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

It looks like a Rolls-Royce next to the Rega, always hated the cheapo lid on the P3. Going with a Nag Mp-110 which i had in a drawer, not as refined as the Exact but sounds pretty decent.

Opriv, Helom, Giacomo Belbo and 2 others like this.
  14. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Need a spacer for the Exact or it would sit too low, unless there's a headshell that would compensate?

15. displayname

Don't be afraid to go further up the Nag line. I really enjoyed my MP-150. If I would have gone with the 1200GR I'm not sure exactly which cart I would have ended up with, but the MP200-500 would have been under close consideration. You could also dabble into the Grado world, which would not have previously worked well with your Rega. It's a very different sound, but one that a lot of people enjoy.

Opriv, HiFi Guy and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  16. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

When you go further up the Nag line they start to get very expensive!

eyeCalypso and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  17. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I've admitted to not being a fan of the older SL1200mk2 or mk3, whichever the one I owned was. I also admit it was probably plagued by sloppy or loose gimbaled tonearm bearings from day one because of the incessant mistracking racket it made for the 3 or so years I put up with it. Because of that I probably wouldn't buy the new improved model but after hearing one glowing/raving review after another of the newest 12ooGAE, 1200G and 1200GR from people I would trust to know the difference I would say your going to have to shop other brands models over $2000-$3500 to get something comparable. One thing to keep in mind about all turntables but especially Regas, they need isolation devices/platforms to give their best. And when you do isolate a Rega TT properly the results can be astounding.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  18. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

There was nothing wrong with the sound of my P3 but the Technics is a thing of beauty. I'm still getting used to the arm on the 1210, feels pretty delicate but I'll get used to it.

displayname and Giacomo Belbo like this.
  19. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979 Thread Starter

The Technics just feels a lot better made than the Rega. A side by side with the mk5:

20. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Elements of the Rega feel really cheap, such as the lid and hinges but they don't impact on sound quality. The worst part of the 1210GR is the cue lever, Rega wins in that respect.

21. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Read of a few issues and saw a video clip of a strange spasmodic/bounce movement of the cueing mechanism.

Local GC has one that was a return & sure enough when using the arm lift there was a strange movement like the video above....

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  22. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Yeah, the rubber they use on the cueing mech that contacts the tonearm is grabby which leads to the funky bounce. I have a 1210 GR and, while it looks funky, I have not found it to impact the cueing operation when lifting or lowering the arm onto or off of an LP at least in my experience.

I find the cueing to be very solid and accurate

23. loudinny

loudinny Forum Resident

Yup .. Another video .... strange jerky bounce

24. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

But then again DJs don't use the cue lever?

Dignan2000 likes this.
  25. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Yup, it does the wobble on my TT as well but as I said it cues an LP perfectly just looks odd at least on my 1210GR that is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.