Technics 1200GR vs alternatives

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Giacomo Belbo, Sep 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That's like saying that you don't see the point in using a parking break because you've never had your car jump a gear, and roll down the street when you didn't bother to use it. Just because this hasn't happened to you personally yet doesn't mean that using a cueing lever isn't a good habit to be in.

Sterling1 and Fender Relic like this.
  2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Well I don't think my turntable is going to run over and kill someone if I continue to manually cue up my records.:laugh:

jeff

recstar24, missan and 2xUeL like this.
  3. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

But what is the benefit of not using the lever?

Mikhail Bernatsky and JackG like this.
  4. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

So here is something interesting. I actually have two LP120s. I just tested them to make sure I wasn't mistaken, and one is super slow, while the other is nice and smooth. The slower one we rarely used. I wonder if they get looser over time or if they stiffen up w/o use. That or they are all different out of the factory? Do you remember if yours was like that from day one?

displayname likes this.
  5. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

:biglaugh:

As a DJ I take pride in dropping the needle by hand. :D

(PS: Please don't give me **** about calling the stylus a needle; sometimes 'needle' is just the better choice!)

bever70 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  6. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Funny bit in the manual on page 23 for playing records:

Step 5: Lower the cue lever slowly. The tone arm moves down slowly.
    And on page 22:

1 Put a record (not included) on the turntable.​

Thought it was funny that they called out a record is not included.

One other thing that came up on another thread I was on was whether or not to have the lid closed, open, or off during playback. I thought it was interesting that the manual doesn't mention the lid at all in the play section, so all I can read from that is that it doesn't matter. I had been playing it with the lid open but not off as my Pro-Ject Carbon Classic manual stated you shouldn't play with it closed. I'm not able to remove the lid on my SL-1210GR as it's on a wall mounted shelf up against the wall with just enough space to lift it, but not remove it. I've switched to closed now to minimize dust on the deck over time.

7. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

For me, having the dustcover closed has always been about critical, low-volume listening with higher output moving magnet carts, so the cover masks the high-frequency leakage directly from the cart.

8. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

Interesting. I get reducing any outside interference. Hows does the cover mask high-frequency leakage directly from the cart? I haven't heard that before.

9. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

It just muffles it.

Bear in mind, I'm mostly talking about high-output carts with old records cut really hot like 45s, where the 'leakage' is substantial--and listening at low volumes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    matrix-6 likes this.
  10. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I always drop by hand and lift with lever. Never had an issue.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Same here, but once in a while find myself carefully and SLOWLY lowering the lever in low light, and / or in the morning when still wobbly pre-coffee......... or late at night, post-whisk(e)y....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    Fender Relic likes this.
  12. xpresso

xpresso Well-Known Member

So can anyone say that the 1200gr will make a huge improvement in sound from my new Audio Technica LP140XP? I am tired from switching from dj mode to listening mode. Swapping out mat and cart for for easy listening is what i am hating right now and ready for a third turntable, be it the gr, rega, marantz etc....

rlwings likes this.
  13. rlwings

rlwings Well-Known Member

The GR is much better in every way. In terms of your question concerning sound quality, the Technics will have more (deeper) bass with a rhythmic drive that is unparalleled. It's the first thing everybody notices. The "musical drive." - There will be more subtle detail and air. The GR will also have a lower noise-floor and better external and internal resonance control, and of course far superior build quality. The GR also has unequaled speed accuracy. Best in class all-in-one turntable. And the tonearm is much much better than some are claiming. It's been fully redesigned and properly matched to the deck. So with the right cart, wires, preamp and setup you can achieve musical nirvana! - I liked it so much I did it twice! - (2 rooms).

14. xpresso

xpresso Well-Known Member

Thank you, was headed in this direction over other turntables in same price range.

rlwings likes this.
  15. rlwings

rlwings Well-Known Member

Good choice! - I can almost guarantee you won't regret it... Now the only decision will be be silver or black. (1200\1210) Keep in mind that the black version has flat chrome elements on it so it looks really really good! - (Can you guess which one I got? :)

xpresso, classicrocker and punkmusick like this.
  16. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I'd add better defined imaging to that.

xpresso and Slick Willie like this.
  17. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Both these comments are absolute nonsense!

18. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Have you ever driven a car with a manual transmission?

Did someone say "Drop the Needle"?

jeff

19. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Perfect analogy lol!

20. matrix-6

matrix-6 Forum Resident

RE " You know the crackle you hear on used records between tracks and at the beginning of each side? Needle drops...."

I'd love to hear what you think causes it then.

21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Would you like to share what car you know of that did this so we don't buy one? Standard or automatic? Recall?

recstar24 likes this.
  22. In my case a VW Golf.

2xUeL and Fender Relic like this.
  23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

This time of year humidified heated air is blasted into my audio listening room from my furnace, and some of this air carries unfilterable airborne dust which settles on my turntable, as well as the LP being played from the turntable, so I usually play LPs this time of the year with the dust cover closed, which seems to eliminate distracting dust pops.

bajaed and Fender Relic like this.
  24. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

From day one the A-T Turntable tonearm has had a relatively fast decent. It is smooth and precise.

25. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If I was in your shoes, I'd be less concerned about the turn table and more concerned about my lungs. That seems like a lot of dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.