Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

It seems is only a question of features between mk7 and 100c ... and colour (mk7 can be ordered in silver).

Price / performance and construction quality apparently are the same.

Waiting for the first impressions :agree:

Big Blue likes this.
  2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

:biglaugh:

Big Blue likes this.
  3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Do those statistics also include sales of used records?
    Plenty records that have been in storage (attic/garage finds etc) for years are now being sold and played again.

4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

When I had the 1042, U.S. retail was even higher, though it was possible to order from overseas. In any case, I think AT price increases are coming once production gets back to normal. They've already said as much, but I think the prices increases will not be that much.

Technocentral likes this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Definitely not. And yes used is very important since used vinyl is a steady business lately. However, I think new vinyl really needs to increase in sales dramatically if we want to see anything approaching the equipment choices in the 70s and 80s, more new pressing plants, etc. There is an ocean between the economies of scale then vs. now.

Oelewapper likes this.
  6. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

FWIW, the Technics/Panasonic salesman at this German HiFi show introduces the 1500C as their new 'entry level' turntable.
    (Please excuse all the DJ references he makes about the MK7 lol..)

7. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

He includes "Made in Malaysia" among reduction factors, while stressing that GR is made in their Japan factory, as an opposite of that, like it's some sort of higher quality. Interesting.

8. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

Well obviously the higher quality/ more expensive deck is made in Japan, but you're also twisting his words. He was simply explaining the differences.

nosliw, WithinYourReach and Big Blue like this.
  9. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning

I understand that, but what I'm saying is why brand it as 'entry level'? I see others noting that Technics is an audiophile manufacturer and that's true, but why use those words like. 'Entry Level' for Technics stuff maybe.

I disagree when people say that the lower end of the market is 'covered' by Hanpin stuff etc, there are plenty of people who don't have the big bucks for higher end stuff yet want a decent TT with a good brand name... I think there is a market there. I'm not talking about the 100-300 quid market, more the 350-600 mark. Maybe a decent competitor for the Pioneer TT, the name escapes me. Those are people who obviously know their vinyl and know a bit about turntables. And someone in that category is most likely going to go for Technics over a Pioneer or Audio Technica. I think there is a viable market there.
    I also think that they should have done this with the MK7 rather than the sl1500c. With the DJ features and all that

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. 33andathird

33andathird keep em spinning

I'll give you my old ATLP60 for $500- guess what? My expensive moving coil cartridge comes FREE with it!
    Just because something is advertised as free doesn't mean it actually is.

Uglyversal likes this.
  11. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

Two things that annoy me about the 100C (and 1500C)- lack of 45 adapter recess on table, and the 'manual push/pull' VTA adjustment.

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Why mention where's something made when explaining differences in quality? Wasn't it "it doesn't matter where it's made, qc is what matters"? o_O

13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

He obviously brags the "not important" "Made in Japan" factor as an additional value.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's a dj feature!:agree:

That's really pity.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

In this case, the cartridges are free. Your resale example has nothing to do with the way Technics has arrived at what is offered in this package. I promise you, if sold with no cartridge, this is still $1k. It’s a free cartridge.

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m convinced they probably don’t match the Technics arm as well as the 95, anyway. Possibly fine, people use them, but the 95 seems just right.

JackG and csgreene like this.
  17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Technics’ competitor to the Pioneer PLX-1000 is the SL-1200 mk7. Expecting better quality from a good brand name without a higher price is not realistic.

18. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

The question was asked 'What's the biggest difference between these two, is it just the removal of the pitch-fader?', so he replied by listing the differences. Like I said, you twisted his words.

19. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

A 45 adapter is for people who play 45s. Having it on top is convenient, and IMO the silver accent is welcome.
    A turn-dial VTA is more convenient that the push/pull IMO. But not a big deal as I rarely use it.

20. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

You are in a good place.

21. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I like to think so. ;)

22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I understand what you are saying, it's just that it's not possible with the current scale that Technics has. Remember Technics is part of Panasonic. To make things worth their while, they either have to play in the premium market, which they've calculated works for them, or magically go back to 1982 turntable and vinyl sales to maybe, just maybe, get the price down further. They can't do that under their current model.

I have a couple of older Japanese turntables here. They sold for 200-300 at the time they were introduced. That's a lot more money when adjusted for inflation. $250 in 1982 is around $700 today. In 1982 the scale was there. Not even close today. Again, look at the graph I posted upthread.

350-600 dollar turntables is a viable market...for some manufacturers. Just not Technics right now. Pro-Ject does very good business in this market right now, and I'm surprised they've hung on as long as they have. Even though I don't like their gear, a lot of people do buy it. In a few years, I wouldn't be surprised if they start cutting the lower end of their business though, as the Chinese OEMs get a bigger share. I don't think Technics wants to go there. They'd rather stay in the "premium" market and pitch themselves as a lifestyle brand.

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

So what kind of difference makes the place of manufacture, so it's that important to be mentioned? I'm not twisting his words, but you refuse to realize that even a Technics representative puts Made in Japan above Made in Malaysia.

I was just teasing you about the 45 adapter as you frequently state that mk7 extra features are for dj's.
    The rotational/helicoid VTA is truly better and I was serious when saying it's pity they didn't make it the same on the 100/1500.

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Ok, then, I'll take just the free cartridge they can keep the table. Thank you!:D

25. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

He answered a question by stating the facts. He wasn't 'stressing' it, and he didn't say Japan was better/worse than Malaysia, that was your interpretation lol.
    I have zero interest in continuing this pointless conversation.