Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. noman

noman Well-Known Member

Paging @csgreene , please report to this post for embarrassment and mandatory disciplinary action.

2. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

So does this thing go up for sale tomorrow or not? By the looks of it I say not, but I though the press release said June 1

3. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I've bought a SL-1500C, this release seems a bit flaky.

100% happy.

4. hfarrior3

I don't think the inconveniences of the announcement will have any direct effect on the quality of the product.

Big Blue likes this.
  5. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I don't think my post infers that at all, but good luck with that point of view.

6. hfarrior3

Your post read as if you bought the 1500C because the release seems flaky, but whatever.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    Big Blue likes this.
  7. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I did. And how is that a statement on the actual quality of the turntable??

Good luck with your absolutely rubbish attempt at baiting and good bye.

8. hfarrior3

So you bought the 1500 because you were impatient, got it. That's all you had to say.

9. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Aftermath and hfarrior3 like this.
  10. Pali Gap

Announced by Technics themselves, tho further details have yet to be provided.

Rob6899, Aftermath and hfarrior3 like this.
  11. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

Oh yeah I am the only American driving a domestically built Honda or Toyota with years and tons mileage on them; I am an unicorn!
    By the way my Malaysian built Technics 1200 Mk7 is almost two years old! My warranty still has two months on it also!

patient_ot likes this.
  12. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

The lack of pre order detail pushed me towards the SL1500C. I couldn't wait until more info was released and tbh was a bit disappointed that even Amazon didn't have anything for pre order yet.

I still think the SL100 will be awesome, still not sure how I've inferred anything else?

However I'm really happy with my purchase.

13. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Rob6899 likes this.
  14. Pali Gap

There are no orders, or preorders, or even any delays as far as we know. We just don't know anything because there's no other info available.
    It has however shown up on the Technics Germany site as well, quoted at 899 euros.

SL-100C Plattenspieler | Premium Class | Produkte | Technics

goer, 33na3rd, Big Blue and 2 others like this.
  15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

The pricing seems off, the sl1500 is 995 here in Ireland with the 2m Red and preamp, 800 would make more sense, in Ireland at least. Also not being able to listen to it before you buy it seems like a poor decision on technics behalf. (Irish dealers link to 1500's price here)

Technics SL-1500C — Cloney Audio

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  16. shades

shades Forum Resident

33na3rd and patient_ot like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just be careful ordering from that shop. I didn't have a great experience with them and I doubt I would use them again for anything.

BrilliantBob likes this.
  18. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident

I suppose this question has been asked a lot by now, but has anyone been able to confirm that the SL-100C is exactly like the SL-1500C, minus the built-in phono preamp and 2M red cartridge? I was just about to pull the trigger on the SL-1500C, but don't need the built-in preamp and was planning on immediately upgrading the cartridge.

rischa likes this.
  19. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I was considering this one too, but ultimately got the 1500C just this week. I'll bypass the Phono preamp, so it doesn't matter to me that it's there, and it seems like the price difference here is about $200, so I just went for it. I figure, too, the 1500 has been through a few production runs and isn't first-run like the 100C will be.

Rob6899 likes this.
  20. hfarrior3

What was the issue? Was the product damaged?

21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Turntable Lab online experiences

I'd recommend dealing with Sweetwater, Crutchfield, etc. instead.

BGLeduc likes this.
  22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

That's correct. The auto lift feature is still on the SL100c. Considering the 100c comes with a VM95c spherical, an easy upgrade is the 95ml stylus. So that would bring the SL100c to $1,150 but with a far superior cartridge than the 1500c/2M Red at $50 more.

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It is odd that the SL100c is the same price as the 1200 Mk7 considering the 1200 has a much richer feature set already mentioned. I would have thought the 100c would have been $899 or lower.

ranch 22b, hfarrior3 and sharedon like this.
  24. Pali Gap

The first thing I notice is this linked thread happened from March to May 2020, when retailers (everyone?) were struggling to cope with the effects of Covid. I wouldn't rush to criticise any store during that timeframe, it was a chaotic time for most.

hfarrior3, BluTorch and Boltman92124 like this.
  25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

+1 for Crutchfield. My 1500C came fast and without issue.