Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JackG, Apr 21, 2021.

1. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Just £100 less than the 1500C, and with no preamp and cheaper cart (even though I would rather have a(nother) VM95 instead of O)?
    I do not think it was worth bothering.

2. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Assuming you have a preamp. You could put the price difference into a microline or shibata stylus for the 95 and have a much better sounding turntable than the 1500C is out of the box, for near enough the same money.

ubiknik likes this.
  3. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I'd rather have this than the 1500 with a phono stage I'd never use. I also couldn't care less about the cartridge. Perhaps Technics should have dropped the price a bit more an not included any. Is this the same arm as the 1200/1210 GR?

bootbox and McLover like this.
  4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

"Dull", pssh. I think it's "svelte". [​IMG]
    I think the black and silver bits on the 100C look a little mix-n-match.

rischa and Pali Gap like this.
  5. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

No, I don't think the 1500C shares any significant parts with the 1200GR.

clercqie likes this.
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

This. And if it's essentially 1500C without a preamp, then the name 100C along with this "entry level" campaign sounds like it's much weaker turntable. Beginners, at which it's primarily aimed, would be better off with the 1500's preamp in the "bundle".

7. Julio Alejandro

Julio Alejandro Well-Known Member

Any serious Turntable doesn't have an integrated preamp. Why you spend more than $1,000 on a tt and use the integrated preamp or the cartridge included????????? If you do that you only need a AT-120.

Francois1968 likes this.
  8. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Agree 100%. I can't stand silver buttons on black gear.

Cognac62 likes this.
  9. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

How is it 'much weaker'?? And fyi many people above the level of 'beginner', who don't need strobes and pitch-faders, are interested in a 1500C without a preamp.

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

It's probably not and that's the problem. The name doesn't suit it. Should've call it 1500C-something.

11. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

The 1500C-minus?

(I can see why that would not make it past the marketing department.)

shades likes this.
  12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

That's exactly what a beginner sees when comparing the numbers 1500 vs 100.

13. Pali Gap

The 'beginners' must have been really excited when they saw the 1500 was $500 cheaper than the 1200! Lol...

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Lol indeed.

15. JackG

JackG Forum Resident Thread Starter

In all fairness, "entry-level" was the term used by What Hi-Fi? in the title of the article I linked. I don't see Technics saying that.

WithinYourReach and Dignan2000 like this.
  16. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Yeh, when I used my Rogue RP-5 I always wished they had black buttons and not silver.

rischa likes this.
  17. ODS123

ODS123 Forum Resident

This should NOT be the case. ..There is no engineering/ evidenced based reason why RIAA equilization circuitry cannot - with good results - take place within the turntable. ..We've been fooled by the audio gear companies into believing that we need yet another component and cables to accomplish this technically easy and straight forward feat. In any other field of engineering it would be considered poor execution to split into 2-boxes what could be built into one. If not built into the table itself, then phono pre-amps should be built-in to the integrated-amp (or pre-amp, etc.).

IMHO, the fetishizing of the phono pre-amp is pointless. Today, the phono sections of integrated amps add far less noise of their own than is already in the record grooves themselves - in other words, groove noise is the limiting factor, NOT the phono preamp. Moreover, outboard phono preamps often create their own hum issues b/c they require yet 2 add'c cables that mingle with an already large tangle of cables behind our equipment. Outboard phono preamps also have separate power sources which mean another grounding point - again, a frequent source of noise.

Turning phono pre-amps into yet another expensive component is NOT an engineering based decision, it's a marketing decision.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  18. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

Technics did listen to customer demand, that's great !
    Now we need to know how the deck/tonearm perform against 1500C without phono/2M red., its not clear to me where it differs apart from the color choice.

Cognac62 and bever70 like this.
  19. Pali Gap

I believe those are the differences- no phono/ no 2M Red/ different color. We'll have to wait to find out if anything else different. I certainly hope they didn't cheap out on other materials..

20. Pali Gap

I think it's a decision most of us appreciate- having the choice to mix and match components to our liking, as opposed to being 'stuck' with the one the manufacturer chose to include (usually based on financial advantage). To be fair there are several turntables currently on the market with integrated phono stages, offering the 'plug n play' experience to those that want it.

dreamingtree1855 and Claude M like this.
  21. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

I'll be watching this with great interest. i was looking at spending around £1500 to upgrade my current set up, but this has changed that plan.

Instant Dharma and Pali Gap like this.
  22. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Entry level is a relative term. For the average kid (not loaded) starting out, $1000 might not be the starting point. My experience with this was in 1981 when purchased an SL D2 for $100. This is about $300 today. Threw a $65 Shure cartridge at it and was happy for many decades with that deck. Now for an older adult, that already owns a nice system but wants to get into vinyl, or back into it, owns a few records from childhood or inherited the parents collection, $1000 might be the perfect price point.

23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I bought a 2M Red for my Kenwood KD-2070 because I wanted something cheap and didn't know any better. It is what it is. A $100 hot cart with a bonded elliptical stylus. I use it to play used records before I decide whether or not it is OK to use a better cart/stylus.

broccolid likes this.
  24. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

2M is not a very good cart imo, the VM is much better, irregardless of price. A no brainer if you work for Technics and have ears.

25. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Absolutely, if this deck is any good and you stick a vm95ml stylus on it you will have a great new budget TT.

Rob6899 and MikeJedi like this.