Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Man, this is all great news - but makes for a tougher decision. o_O

I was thisclose to pulling the trigger on a GR to replace my crusty, but still running well, 12oo MK2, but these other, less expensive, options have me torn now.

I like the auto-lift/auto-stop feature of the 1500, and ablility to totally bypass the built-in pre-amp, but if it's only a few hundred less than the GR, well...o_O

...and if the MK7 comes close to the sound quality of the GR and is 500 bucks less, well...o_O

CONFUSED.

May be best to wait and see what the reviews/comparisons are like? :p

2. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

If you can try to find a dealer that ends up carrying the GR and the 1500C. You could read a thousand reviews... or listen to 3 to 5 familiar tracks using both tables and quickly decide on your own. But don't go without the cash for the GR, because it's possible you'll lean that way once you handle and hear both.

I keep thinking that 1500C is too close in price to the GR, and then I remember the GR has no cart and no preamp. It's kind of a shame they aren't offering a version of the 1500C for $1200 with no preamp and no cart. I know I'd be bypassing the pre and changing the cart right away if I was potentially getting one.

3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I can't see the 1500C doing well at that price. It would have killed as an $800 or less table, but practically the same price as the GR? Nah. For that, I want pitch adjustment and a cueing light.

bever70, bru87tr, recstar24 and 3 others like this.
  4. Does 1500c have same arm and motor?

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Unless you are planning on doing DJ work, I can't see why the MK7 would present much appeal over your MK2. The 1200GR OTOH is a definite step up. So if I were you, I'd still be incline to get the GR.

7. TarnishedEars

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  8. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

Only thing that makes any sense would be GR going to Malaysia. Otherwise, why would they not keep the new ones in Japan too. The new ones don't seem any less expensive than the GR for what you get.

I know I'm repeating myself but these two new releases seem bizarre to me with the GR already available.

rischa likes this.
  9. arem

arem Forum Resident

DJ's aren't going to be rushing out to buy the MK7 at $1200. At least no DJ I know, and I know a lot of DJ's. As others have said, DJ's don't really benefit from some of the improvements in the new model, and if they can get the same performance from the PLX1000 or the Denon VL12 for 4-5 hundred less that is probably what they'll buy. Or they'll stick to the used market, which is even more likely.

bru87tr, OldSoul and punkmusick like this.
  10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Possibly the DJ market outside of the US is different?

11. TarnishedEars

I agree that it does seem odd to be introducing these units price-points so close to the GR. Perhaps this might mean that a price increase is coming for the GR?

Joel S and MusicNBeer like this.
  12. displayname

But the GR is not practically the same price. You still need a cart and preamp with the GR. If you got an "equally equipped" GR it would run $1900, a $500 price difference.

I do think the 1500C would be more appealing at $1200 (or better yet $1000) with no cart or preamp. And let dealers put combos together if they want.

13. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I did see this, and I think it's a good solution that seems to work and look better than a Q-up, but costs half as much as a Little Fwend. This is why I don't consider auto-lift or auto-stop mandatory features built into a turntable. However, if an otherwise good turntable has the function built-in, I'd still rather not have to attach an accessory to my plinth. I'm certainly not going to pay $1400 for a turntable just to have it do this unless the turntable actually plays worthy of that price range.

14. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

My 1200G came with the alignment gauge.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

People should keep in mind, too, the built-in preamp is claimed to support MC. That's going to cost more than the MM-only preamps usually built into plug-n-play models. I do think they would sell more of them if they ditched the preamp, though, were it to drop the price by enough. I really don't think many people who bother with MC carts are going to want to use the built-in, anyway (unless, as I've said previously, it's actually a pretty good phono stage for a built-in).

MusicNBeer and displayname like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I saw video of the 1500c and it’s not too exciting at that price. Doesn’t look any more specIal than an old 1500. I always liked the smooth beveled platter of the 1500. But this one is too close to the mold of the old Sl-1500, which you can pick up in minty shape and will give another 20 years of service for under for 200 bucks, to justify the crazy price. Of course this would be an SL 1500 with an SL 1200 arm so that would be different although the arm on the 1500 was pretty close to the final design of the 1200 arm although cheaper a bit cheaper. I always saw the SL 1200 arm as a good arm if not a great arm and now curious to see if it’s now been turned into a very good or great arm.

OldSoul and punkmusick like this.
  17. displayname

I did not catch that it was also an MC stage. But again, that's the kind of value add (aka feature listing) that I largely consider adding to cost, not to value. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think most people looking at $1k+ tables already have or plan to get a solid external phono.

I have seen people say "maybe it's a great phono built in" but I would think if it was a really was a great affordable phono they would sell it as a standalone as well.

*Edit - I'm not trying to hate on a table I haven't even seen yet. It does look great, and I'm sure they'll sell more than enough. I just think the price point is a bit of a bummer.

Drewan77, bever70, bru87tr and 2 others like this.
  18. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

C'mon man, get with the times, that's what digital is for!

Lucca90, punkmusick and displayname like this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I said before the SL-1500C looks beautiful based in the pictures but I was disappointed when I saw the video linked in the previous page. The MK7 on the other hand looks beautiful both in the pictures and videos.

Cyclone Ranger and Big Blue like this.
  20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Hey, you go your way, and I'll go mine. ;)

Most of my listening isn't focused while sitting in the sweet spot. I still like putting a record on and hearing analog.

21. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

100%

I wasn't meaning to make that a selling point, just to point out that it's part of the cost. Probably reinforces the argument in favor of ditching it to make a lower MSRP.

displayname likes this.
  22. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

What exactly you don't like about it?

23. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Agreed. I have a solid pre-amp and wouldn't have any use for the included cart either. I do like the cleaner look of the 1500 and don't need all that DJ stuff either.

Unfortunately, the shops around here don't have the GR in stock - at least not yet to do a comparison. Time will tell.

I'm in no huge rush as my old silver 1200 "works", it just looks a tad warn and needs a tune-up (no cueing light, tonearm height adjustment is gacked, and some other minor issues).

I'm also not a fan of silver as it sticks out a bit compared to the rest of my gear and prefer black.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    displayname likes this.
  24. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

From the web site, says MM compatible. Of course a HOMC would work as well.

The SL-1500C has a built-in phono equalizer amp compatible with MM cartridges so it can be connected to an audio product that does not have phono input terminals. The dedicated power supply for the phono equalizer is isolated from the power supply for the motor and control circuitry to reduce the effect of noise. Furthermore, the shield structure suppresses the effect of external noise. As a result, high-purity signal amplification is realized. Using the SL-1500C and the audio equipment you have, you can enjoy music from a vinyl record in high sound quality.

25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

It's "practically the same," I think, to people like me who don't spend that type of money on equipment. Everyone was talking about how this seemed like a good starter/casual table, and I just don't see that market laying down $1400 for this when they could get a PLX-1000 for $800 (or is it even more like $700?) with a $50-$200 preamp. The absolute highest the 1500C should've been to really make a mark is $1000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.