Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Seems strange that the concept of Technics farming it to China hasn’t come up....

Hopefully they have just automated the manufacturing process and can keep it in Japan, but maybe it’s destined for Vietnam where Panasonic has huge manufacturing capacity (from what I’ve read).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    recstar24 and punkmusick like this.
  2. gov

gov Forum Resident

The blue light always irked me.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I've thought it...but dared to voice it.

BayouTiger and punkmusick like this.
  4. Slick Willie

Do you own one? Or just anti-blue on principle.

punkmusick likes this.
  5. gov

gov Forum Resident

I own a mk5 in my office system. Not commenting at all on the table just the light. Seemed a silly thing to change when they stayed so true the rest.

ranch 22b likes this.
  6. Slick Willie

Cool, personally I prefer the blue, just a nice little touch to set it apart from the original. Plus some of my other gear have blue lights as well,

7. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I mentioned in my previous posts that the way to bring down the retail cost, while possibly not having to reduce the component and material quality, is to move the Mfg outside of Japan.

A big Mfg cost factor of the current 1200/1210 models is the low volume hand assembly done in Japan. Moving it to China, or other Asian Mfg location with lower labor costs, would save considerable Mfg costs.

BayouTiger and punkmusick like this.
  8. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Same here. I like blue better and I was happy they made it that way. Plus, the SL-1210GR in black with blue light matches my Parasound JC3+ and HINTO. On the other hand it looks like this new red light will be very cool.

9. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Everyone is assuming this table will be less expensive than the GR and Technics will cut costs, but do we know that will be the case? It seems it's entirely possible the Mk7 will be a GR level quality table with added features that many DJs want.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Curious to see what they do with this. I hope they don't compromise quality too much.

punkmusick likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

That is what I'm thinking - the Ferrari of DJ 'tables.

punkmusick likes this.
  12. BayouTiger

I’m guessing about $1500. This would be about 20% more than what the 1200 was at discontinuance. Not too out of line considering the time and improvements.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. Davey

Davey NP: Bruce Brubaker ~ Eno Piano (2023)

The old 1200 was never near that price except for the special bling editions with gold plating. I recall they were selling for under $500 when discontinued. Supposedly they are gonna be setup right across from Pioneer DJ at the upcoming NAMM show in the heart of the DJ section, so you'd think they would be in that price range.

14. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

You could be right. It could be like the G–>GR rollout... one expensive 'table initially, then a more reasonably-priced one later.

Or, just a GR-level DJ 'table. Which I think is less exciting than if they decided to take on the Pioneer PLX-1000, too. :(

punkmusick and OldSoul like this.
  15. BayouTiger

I was seeing them brand new when they were dropped for $1200. Maybe the result of the cancellation.

punkmusick likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Iam going to buy a new table in 2019, I certainly will be watching this announcement with curiousity.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. Slick Willie

Seems many are assuming the ad pic is of the (what we think we will be) new table.

Drewan77 and punkmusick like this.
  18. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

I guessing that the price will be $1,200.07 :D

19. gumsrave

gumsrave Forum Resident

With a domestic price of ¥120,007. :agree:

punkmusick likes this.
  20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

I've been thinking for a while of getting a G or GR - probably a G. But I'll be jealous of that headshell storage hole.... (I could use one to hold an extra headshell with a 78 cartridge.)

luckybaer and punkmusick like this.
  21. clercqie

clercqie Forum Resident

No way that DJ's will pay $3000 for a pair. Vinyl DJ'ing is already a niche, and with such a price uptake over the MK6 people will just continue to flock to Pioneer. Or score their 1200's second hand.

22. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

Some images Technics shared on Instagram, the last one with exposure enhanced by our friend @Drewan77

Could that be a black tonearm?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Slick Willie

Some visual cues (although hard to see) that make it look more like a vintage table pic than new are:
    Red lights
    Headshell holder hole
    On/off switch design
    Dual buttons above slider
    Anyhoo, I think that's what I see.

Ghostworld and punkmusick like this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Technics logo on the headshell? :love:

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Considering you could by them for $400 at Guitar Center or $200 at Panasonic Outlet when the cleared out the last 1200s (black glitter base), I wonder what the production cost was at the end after making 3.5 MILLION SL-1200s? I'm sure this is going to be a contender against the Pioneer around $1k list and you can pick it up for $800. And then three years from now $500. And they'll still be making a profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.