Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

But the platter rotation is where the audio signal chain starts.

2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yes, but you’re still getting entirely analog sound if the only digital aspect of the system is the speed control.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Right. My 1700 MK1 uses a DC servo motor. Not sure how many ICs are in there having never popped it open. IMO, the downside of this design is speed drift. It’s a bit of the PITA to adjust speed, even if it’s not a frequent ordeal. Quartz lock mitigates this issue, along with introducing the ability to control pitch in clean steps as well. I think the advantage of DD tech is always in speed stability so any quartz or otherwise digital motor control just takes the design to the logical next step.

4. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I do agree some pitch control would have made sense in the 1500C. Whether it’s a thumbwheel or some kind of hidden adjustment to tune it in if it needs correcting, I would have thought it would be easy enough to implement while still preserving the “cleaner” look as compared with the 1200 top panel.

I would argue, though, that stability is the DD selling point moreso than control. Most people don’t need to play at speeds other than 33 1/3, 45, or 78, but they want those three speeds to be accurate and steady. As long as the 1500C has the speeds tuned dead-on, and they don’t drift (I suspect that’s the main benefit of the digital component), this is probably still more desirable than a similarly priced belt drive that can’t touch the low wow and flutter performance of a Technics deck.

jeffsab likes this.
  5. Davey

Well, of course it's analog from the cartridge, but we are talking about the artifacts of the digital speed control that is part of that analog signal, you can clearly see them in any turntable speed measurement, such as those posted by Fremer in his reviews, he is playing a record and measuring the analog signal coming from the stylus. The corollary for CD playback is jitter sidebands on the analog signal coming from your CD player or DAC. There is also digital signal noise that can be added to the analog signal as well, either picked up by the cartridge or in the cabling, or via the power line as input to other components. Our audio systems can often have a pretty complex noise distribution and spectrum. But a lot of that is just from living in the modern digital age :)

6. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I agree that very few if any will have a problem with it. Just seeing it in their hype sheet is interesting, however.

I realize it should theoretically not have any impact whatsoever on sound.

Andrew Littleboy and Big Blue like this.
  7. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I have no idea if it is “most people” or not but speed control is a nice addition for me and definitely a selling point of DD. Whether I am playing Kind Of Blue, the debut Flying Burrito Brothers or some bootleg, I like having it. I may not use it that often but the idea of a table being bought in big part for speed accuracy that then does not allow pitch adjustment is an odd decision and makes the MK7 more attractive to me. And I can’t imagine I’m entirely alone on this....

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I think they may see it as a “Look, we’re part of Panasonic, so we get to leverage Panasonic R&D!”

9. zombiemodernist

I think it's best to keep in mind that Panasonic is ranked #114 on Fortune's Global 500. As much as I myself have complained about features of their new decks, I know their massive moat of cash and years of experience grants access to marketing data and user testing far beyond what any of the audiophile brands have. I'm assuming the features, designs and marketing of the 1500c and MK7 have been carefully tailored to meet market demands and price-point, since this bracket is where the Technics brand will start pulling in some real cash. The GAE/G/GR line is what has been developed for those core audiophile folks who post here, and the pitch control has been retained. Of course they are much higher in price and marketed as premium products.

Not sure I'm really following the critique of the motor marketing either. If the new drive was developed out of tech from their well reviewed Blu-Ray players, it's probably because they have found through their massive R&D department that the new tech was superior to the 1978 tech the older decks used. If anything the entire motor redesign and marketing of it is mostly a response to the years of critique by people like Fremer that the MK2 was causing perceptible cogging.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    nosliw, Sterling1, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  10. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I don’t disagree. In fact I have a GR backordered, in part because I have come around on the pitch adjustment being nice to have if you can get it. But I think people who want that will buy a mk7 or GR over a 1500C (or they’ll buy a Pioneer, but Technics isn’t even attempting to compete at that price point with any of these), so they’re not trying to go after the exact same market with each of the new models. The $1200 belt drives on the market don’t have pitch adjustment, either, so I can see how they would count on the speed stability alone as a selling point for DD over belt.

11. Davey

Pitch adjustment and speed stability are two different things though, there are belt drive tables with very good speed stability that don't have pitch adjustment, and there are some very inexpensive belt drive tables patterned somewhat after the SL-1200 that have pitch adjustment sliders but poor speed stability. Many of the belt drive tables now have gone back to DC motors so do have speed adjustments (many of the high end belt drive tables of the past were driven by DC motors), but they usually aren't exposed on the plinth for easy adjustment. The AC synchronous belt drive tables in that price range don't usually include a motor controller since it would add quite a bit to the cost, but they are often an option.

But I agree, hard to beat the speed stability of a good direct drive table. The rest of the stuff is really mostly about personal preferences.

nosliw, Big Blue and zombiemodernist like this.
  12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Right. In the 1500C, you are getting stability, but not adjustment. Technics must see a market for people who are just looking for accurate and stable speed at $1200, and I only see one belt drive (MoFi StudioDeck) around that price claiming nearly as good a wow and flutter spec as Technics. They’re not taking anything away compared with their competition at that price range by lacking speed adjustment, is all I was saying.

nosliw, patient_ot and Davey like this.
  13. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I have a SL-1200 mk2 built in 2001, a SL-1600 that I bought new in 1977 as well as 2 vintage Pioneer DD units...PL-560 and a PL-530 from 76-78...speed stability? You bet they have! And what the hell is this cogging nonesense?

14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think this is designed a a fail safe giving you opportunity for manual lift. Also clearly not achieved by mechanical link but some sort of electronic sensor after arm remains stationary for some seconds. This arrangement is likely more reliable with no mechanical drag on the arm movement. The mechanics in old auto lifts were an issue and thought to be detrimental to arm performance.

15. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Interesting theory as I never noticed as arm drag with my 1980 vintage semi auto Technics 1700mkII. The arm moved very freely with no hint of "drag" when manually cueing and the return feature is flawless.

Would be interesting to somehow scientifically measure and try to quantify if there is really any impact on tonearm performance with auto/semi auto return rigs.

16. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

And if the record you are playing hasn't been digitally recorded and/or mastered.

Sterling1 and SteelyNJ like this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Those seem to be well thought of on this forum/

19. zombiemodernist

The new video spot went up yesterday as well. The video is very over-directed and doesn't really tell us much we didn't know, but it may be interesting to some:

20. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I am critical of much advertising today; but, this piece is magnificent in all manner, "I got rhythm, I got music, I got my man
    Who could ask for anything more?".

21. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

My new Technics SL 1500 C. My MK7 coming next Week.

I was able to buy them in big promotion at the Fnac for 799 euros.

I no longer have the problems I had with the GR and the deformed or oscillating board; here the construction is impeccable. I do not have a negative aspect to give. I disabled the automatic arm reading.

22. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Thanks for sharing and you got great deals!

Should help reassure some posters here worried about made in Malaysia quality.

23. zombiemodernist

Out of curiosity, was this personal preference, or did you just find it too slow to be useful?

24. sniperfox

sniperfox Well-Known Member

no, you have to wait 10 seconds before he gets up. It does not worry me. By cons, I think it should be fixed because it has risen to a record (very long) before the end ... I have always been able to do everything manually so I removed this option. the only aspect can be negative of the turntable is at the level of the arm lift, As soon as it is lowered, the descent is done completely, it is not possible, for example, to leave the arm in the middle is not possible ( (like audio technica) but I imagine that it is the same on all other techncis...

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Richer Sounds price. Wow!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.