Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Okay, if you do not make a living in marketing, I can easily see why you are not quite sure. I'm speculating on the reasoning of Panasonic to offer a 1200 again to the DJ market. At any rate, we all will see how this plays out in short order.

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

My guess is $999. More expensive than PLX-1000 and VL12 but competitive with them due to the power of the name "Technics". And less expensive than the GR.

wgb113, displayname, soundboy and 2 others like this.
  3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

The new has one button, I thought I saw dual buttons in the pic for the 7.
    The on/off button also of the older design.
    Just wondering if that pic is of what was...or what will be.

Davey likes this.
  4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I remember that. Right when I was finally ready to buy....ugh.

punkmusick likes this.
  5. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

And presumed better build quality (in Japan).

My guess is $1,299 MSRP, cartridge included.

displayname and punkmusick like this.
  6. Slick Willie

I wonder what they will have to cut if they were to meet that price point. The. GR was about all the cuts the new design could stand and still outperform the old(?).
    So...
    Go back to quartz lock?
    Use a plastic case as on the Pioneer?
    Manufacture outside of Japan?
    :shrug:

7. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

The new ones are still quartz locked, aren't they? The waveform comparison in the control circuit is more technologically advanced, and I think they are running the control circuit at a much higher frequency now. And they would probably need to keep the rubber case for DJ use, I think it probably has much better damping than the PLX, not sure the zinc top casting on the Pioneer would save much over aluminum. Be interesting to see what they do to cut the cost, if that's the way it's going.

8. Slick Willie

Yes they are quartz locked...my bad.
    I meant to speak to the speed control system, can they incorporate the new digital control system or the new motor at that price point.
    We'll find out soon what they're up to!

9. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Stand corrected: Marantz has red power light and white display text, etc.

10. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

No doubt you are right, but just speaking for myself, I will always consider a premium paid for goods made in countries with a reputation and track record for quality manufacturing as an investment. I'm not knocking the Chinese or the Vietnamese or anyone else, nor am I implying that companies with clout can't establish excellent production facilities anywhere, but there is a reason why certain countries have developed the reputations they have over many decades.

11. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

No doubt Mmmark, I work for an AV company so have a feel for the cost of Manufacturing. My only point is one of the ways for Panasonic to bring the cost of the SL-1200 MK7 down is to move the Mfg out of Japan to China, Vietnam, Malaysia or another SE Asian country where the Mfg costs are much less expensive than building these turntables at their factory in Japan.

The cost of Mfg for the current Technics SL1200/1210 G/GR is not insignificant when you consider that each unit is individually handmade by a single person and only make 15/25 a day currently. Even the GR unit takes 45 minutes to Mfg. which is a long process time for a piece of consumer electronics.

I have read the complaints about the retail price of the current SL1200/ 1210G/GR TT's on various websites and forums when compared to the old SL1200's but when you consider all the costs involved with creating this new version, i.e. engineering design, new tooling, the cost of Mfg in Japan and the quality control they go throught the prices are not out of line with the quality of the products.

It will be interesting to see what the price will be for the new Technics SL1200 MK7 DJ turntables but in my experience it will be very difficult for Panasonic to get the price down near or under $1K without making a number of cost saving compromises unless they are going to rely on volume to make up for the reduced margin.

The longer you make a product the cheaper it gets to Mfg that product as your initial development and tooling costs are amortized with time.

Technics explains why its new SL-1200 turntable costs $4,000

Was reading online that Foxcon makes 350 iPhone X units a minute and the parts cost alone for the phone is about $370. Labour in China at Foxcon is $1.95 / hr so think about how much cheaper it would be for Panasonc to build the TT's outside of Japan by reducing labour and tooling costs.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    LivingForever, punkmusick and SpudOz like this.
  12. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

Hey man, I totally get it, and I often make a deliberate choice to buy stuff made in cheap labour markets to save money. No argument, and no disagreement. All I'm saying is that for some products (items which for me are purchased with an eye to top quality and longevity as well as daily interaction) the assumed benefits of strict quality control, competent assembly, and higher quality materials (as well as worker expertise and personal investment) are worth a premium.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think mfg outside of Japan is the biggest and most obvious way to reduce cost. Hard cast plastic case over the metal is probably significant as well. Maybe feet and internal damping as well. Just those 3 points could really bring down build cost.

But there is also economies of scale. If they plan to sell 2-3x quantity wise, they can survive on a lower profit margin as well. For a lot of companies the "cash cow" isn't the flagship lines, it's the entry level products. Making $2/unit selling a million units makes more profit than $5/unit of 300,000 units. The fact that DJs buy in pairs matters here again. It also comes more into play if someone like Guitar Center and/or B&H have committed to large POs.

Plus they could have possibly covered their R&D costs for the new 1200 line with the G/GR lines, so this new line would be all materials cost with minimal design cost.

Obviously that's all speculation, but they have a lot of ways to cut costs.

punkmusick likes this.
  14. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Absolutely agree, which is why I bought my Technics 1210GR and not a Hanpin clone.

Nothing wrong with the Hanpin TT's, when you get a good one, but I liked the quality control and build quality of the Technics.

punkmusick and luckybaer like this.
  15. Mmmark

Mmmark Forum Resident

I will say, though, that it is disappointing to see established companies that have built up a solid rep over decades squander their credibility overnight by churning out crap under their good name. They make a ton of money over a couple of years, but fail to retain any converts while also alienating their legacy client base. Technics does not seem like the kind of brand to do this, but there are certainly a few examples that come to mind.

punkmusick and luckybaer like this.
  16. Slick Willie

Wonder if they would want the 1200 name associated with a Hanpin product?
    And isn't the 1200 and their ilk somewhat outdated in todays DJ market?
    Anyway, they would have to go high production to reduce the price if made in Japan. Not sure if they have high volume assembly set up for this and it would seem to me to add to the cost at first.
    Vinyl is popular...but it's no where near popular enough to pay off in high volume sales.

punkmusick likes this.
  17. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I have no idea if the volume is there. Or what volume they would need for various decisions to make sense. I'm sure they wouldn't want their name associate with a Hanpin product, but the fact of the matter is that their name is already associated with Hanpin because Hanpin is basing products off the 1200 design.
    If Technics does/would move mfg out of Japan I don't think they'd be using Hanpin though. Technics is still a Panasonic brand, and I think they know a thing or two about mass production in a range of countries. It might not be in Japan, but I'd imagine it would still be in a Panasonic facility. Even making it somewhere in Europe seems like it might be cheaper than doing it in Japan.

Sterling1 and punkmusick like this.
  18. LH5

LH5 Well-Known Member

I think Apple comes to mind....

19. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

Well, we'll all know tomorrow... :)

punkmusick likes this.
  20. I did a little photoshop with the online picture. This might be what we'll see tomorrow.

[​IMG]

punkmusick and Slick Willie like this.
  21. punkmusick

I am 6 hours ahead, I'll have to wait until tomorrow unless I stay up all night which is not on my plans.

displayname likes this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I expect them to announce it about 5 hours from right now. Time for a nap?

punkmusick and displayname like this.
  23. punkmusick

I thought it was supposed to be 8PM Las Vegas time, which would be 2AM here.

displayname likes this.
  24. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I thought there was a Panasonic keynote at 10am today, Las Vegas time? I could be wrong.

25. dahoo

dahoo Forum Resident

panasonic press conference now:

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.