Technics new SL-1200MK7 and SL-1500C*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by punkmusick, Jan 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

1800MK2 is relatively safe for a dangerous series. Those MK2s are amazing (essentially the SL-1200 MK2 with a double suspension) but the ones with auto features are too complex for their own good with a high rate of failure this late in life. 1800 is simpler and more worry free, and IMO one of the best decks they made.

Honestly I think it would come down to your comfort level with used decks, and the cost. I wouldn’t pay a dollar over $400 (and that’s really pushing it) for an 1800 MK2 regardless of condition. Sadly the costs for Technics are ballooning despite these new models.

brimuchmuze likes this.
  2. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Has anyone heard this table with built in preamp? How is the built in pre?

3. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Covered here:

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I’m going to pull the trigger soon on the 1500c

5. haz2000

haz2000 Forum Resident

I wish the SL-1500C had a better tonearm lift. It's just a spring in there, I think.

6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Is it different that the 1200MK7?

Does it lift and drop the tonearm too quickly or what is the problem?

7. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I was *this* close to buying the 1210GR last Xmas but decided not to as I just don't play records enough to justify the cost plus whatever cart I settled on. However, if I changed my mind, the 1210GR would be worth the extra cost. I like the looks of the 1500C better but the 1210 is MiJ and a more solidly built table. If one was a serious vinyl guy, the difference in price would be forgotten quickly enough. And if not, you should just play CDs and stream...

;)

8. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Here's a nice 1500c mod

389 Tripower and Lucca90 like this.
  9. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

And just a few days after this post, I bought a 1210GR and installed a spare universal mount AT450NE cart that I use on my Technics linear SL-QL1. I guess I play records enough to have changed my mind (and I got a stupid good price from a dealer I do other business with).

10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Any similar projects for adding external tonearm to a Technics?

11. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

This was the first one ever seen with a non high end Technics table.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bever70 likes this.
  12. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Here's an old deck that is probably on par with the 1500c [​IMG]

13. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Actually I have seen few on the web with mk2, but can't find them now.

14. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

I'm surprised somebody does not sell a separate tone arm, plug and play kit (maybe they do). You just plug into power, plug into a preamp, set the tone arm up and play. I would find this iseal for a separate arm for 78 rpms

15. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Has anybody heard anything about the mk7 being offered in silver? I for one would seriously consider buying if it were.

Silver is the classic color! Well here in the states...weren't the 1210s in Europe mostly/exclusively black?

16. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

That would be nice. I'm guessing they won't because it could cannibalize sales of the 1200GR.

It's still surprising to me that they were selling the 1200MK2 (made in Japan) back in 2010 for, what, $600? Right now they don't offer a model at a price that I would consider. The 1500C is interesting, but I don't need the preamp or the 2m Red. Both that and the MK7 are made in Malaysia.

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’m guessing it has more to do with the cost to make it in two different colors, which may not make sense for them on what they are trying to sell as their most budget-friendly option. I don’t think the existence of the black mk7 is exactly cannibalizing sales of the 1210GR, as the mk7 and GR have enough of a gap in price to put them in different markets.

The mk2 was a legacy product by 2010, with R&D and tooling long paid for. Since they, perhaps foolishly, scrapped everything in 2010, all the newer models have required new R&D and tooling, which drives up the cost. Perhaps whatever they roll out next will be closer to that $600 price range, but I’m not counting on it. I do think something in the 1500c style that ditches the preamp and cartridge and either lowers the cost or beefs up performance to GR level would make sense, though.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

There is black GR too. Why it is not cannibalized by the black mk7?
    My guess is that we'll see a silver mk7 soon. It is weaker enough to not affect the GR.
    The whole thick was to increase the hunger and triple the price, riding the vinyl resurgence wave. They are company that makes profit, not a charity.
    Don't use them, still a good buy. Technics rep. said there won't be a cheaper model.

19. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

I don't think it's a good buy when you compare it to the millions of Technics decks out there that are still running as well as they did 40 years ago.

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes, if used is an option and you find it for a good price and in good condition.

21. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Ok thanks, one more question: Where can a guy find a new silver 1200GR for a reasonable price nowadays?

22. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Yeah, this being the tricky part. If you stay away from the 1200 line you’ll be more lucky but if you specifically want a 1200, good luck finding a perfect one at a reasonable price. I am a big advocate of buying used Japanese DDs, specifically Technics, but let’s not kid ourselves that there are any “deals” around in the current used market for desirable models. I too wish these were cheaper but they’re not as much of a ripoff as some frame them to be.

Big Blue likes this.
  23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Technics must be marketing their SL-1210GR to folks like me because I bought one rather than something else. A guy like me is someone who is in that market having been aroused by vinyl enthusiasts to get into it, and having done some research/shopping concluded the Technics model can deliver all there is in the groove to get, as well as convenience at an affordable price point.

24. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Marketing is mostly about getting new customers, much less so about confirming the faithful.

25. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would need to see some reliable comparisons between a mk2 and a mk7 to really decide that. If the mk7 has improvements over the mk2 that are appreciable, then a brand new mk7 may in fact be a better value than an old mk2 with various degrees of wear. It certainly seems to be a good value within the new turntable market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.