Technics SL-100C in USA?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rick58, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

Realize it's the cheapest Technics deck next to the MK7, which has pitch slider, no cart and no hinges. The 1500C includes a 2M Red that many people seem to detest. The cartridge included with SL-100C simply allows you to upgrade immediately to a better AT stylus with ‘plug and play’ convenience. That’s another $150ish, but still you’re not going to get a (new) Technics any cheaper. IMO we’re lucky that the vinyl resurgence has prompted Technics to expand their turntable lineup towards the ‘lower end’ while seemingly maintaining quality.

McLover, aunitedlemon, Rick58 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

SL-100C in action with a user-installed shibata stylus.

3. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Oh I certainly agree. Just wondering what the US price will be, assuming it reaches our shores. The Red is $100 but seems like it could serve better than the super cheap AT in a pinch. I’d listen to the Red for a while anyway.

I plan on getting a 2m Bronze premounted on a new headshell immediately (at the moment, unless something else strikes my fancy).

4. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

Having spent countless hours in the company of my 1500C I have to say that my eyes do not appreciate the buttons and arm on the 100C being a contrasting color.

Also of note is that the built in preamp on the 1500 is better suited for the recommended capacitance of the Ortofon carts than the Audio Technica's. I believe the 1500's preamp was posted somewhere amongst these forums as being loaded with 390pf. Nearly double the recommended max for AT carts. A non-issue for those that have an appropriately dedicated phono stage, just saying.

Rick58 likes this.
  5. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I prefer the look of the silver on black, but hey, different strokes for different folks I guess. :cheers:

azideam, ranch 22b and aunitedlemon like this.
  6. Rick58

Hmmmm, yeah, I was gonna get the black, and possibly the all-black of the 1500C might tip my decision. I do like it better. Besides, by the time I decide they’ll have raised the price of the 1500C. Hmmmm … again … decisions decisions.

7. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

I just discovered the SL 100C is a thing yesterday and I desperately want it in the USA. It's exactly what I would have built. I hate the idea of a built in amp even if it can be disabled and the entire Ortofon 2M line doesn't track well on these aluminum S shaped arms. They do better on a straight kind of medium mass arm I think, but every one I've heard on an S shaped aluminum arm on a replaceable headshell like that, they just struggle to track the inner grooves, I think it was an awful match. Now the AT 95, even the cheap conical, it tracks fantastic on these arms, it's a much better match and even the less expensive cart to me actually sounds much better than the 2M Red especially as passages become more difficult to track. Upgrade to the microline of Shibata and you have a pretty premium sounding cart for a very fair upgrade price. If anyone from Technics is out there, Cliff will throw you a ton of virtual love if you let my USA based ears purchase the SL 100C. Pretty please?

Aftermath likes this.
  8. aunitedlemon

aunitedlemon Unity is in the pith.

If you want one bad enough you can order one from overseas. @Riot Nrrrd™ got his hands on one w/o too much added expense. I think from UK Amazon?
    You've seen this thread?
    Technics has a new entry-level turntable, the SL-100C

9. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

:yikes: Sinner! Thou simply can not have that opinion. Banished you are from the Holy Church of Audiophiledumb!

Rick58 and Mike70 like this.
  10. hifisoup

Singer/band and album title please? Loved it!

mike catucci and Aftermath like this.
  11. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle LP

Generally the music credits and copyright info is below the video on youtube ...

Song: Samurai Cop (Oh Joy Begin)
    Artist: Dave Matthews Band
    Album: Come Tomorrow

mike catucci and hifisoup like this.
  12. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident

I feel the exact same way as you, but I think it's going to be quite some time before the SL 100C is available domestically. Pretty much every Technics turntable model is on backorder with all of the retailers right now, so it probably doesn't make sense for them to start cranking out a bunch of SL-100Cs right now. Supply chain issues and production capacity, I suspect. At the current GBP to USD exchange rate and shipping cost, it doesn't really make economic sense to have a SL-100C shipped over right now (plus, think of the headache if it has a defect and you have to return it).

I ended up just ordering a (backordered) SL-1500C, and who knows when that arrives. I've already got a AT95ML cartridge to put on it.

Rick58 and cliff_forster like this.
  13. hifisoup

Thank you.

14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

According to a friend that also tried to investigate 1500C availability and pressed the retailer, Technics is experiencing some supply chain issues w/r/t bearings on top of normal production capacity issues that every manufacturer is experiencing right now. Apparently there was also a bad batch of 1500s with auto-lift issues that had to be called back.

15. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

I watched that video awhile back and immediately sought out the song as well, great tune!

mike catucci likes this.
  16. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

The production/supply issues are universal and affect everything, doesn't really explain why this specific deck has been withheld from North America. They're all made in Malaysia!
    Technics' lack of communication with all their North American distributors/dealers is baffling.

cliff_forster likes this.
  17. Victrollin'

Huh, that's interesting. Looks like they're starting to be available again... as of today Best Buy has silver ones in stock. I'm waiting for a black one, though. Kind of annoying, but look on the bright side...at least food and toilet paper is easy to come by! And according to my wife, "why do you want a new turntable, when the one you have works perfectly fine?"

cliff_forster and Rick58 like this.
  18. Curtis Loew

Curtis Loew eat a peach

Apparently these auto-lift issues continued into the production of the 100C, mine is useless and the 'service mode' adjustment can't even fix it. It's outside the acceptable range, lifting @ approx 65mm from spindle. I'm not bothered, I find it pretty useless unless it actually works for every record. Could have been easily checked before leaving the factory.

19. Rick58

I got the same comment from my wife. :D Yes, I’m on a waiting list for a black one thru turntablelab …

Wow if/when I do get one hopefully that’ll work properly. One main reason I want this. Arrrggghhh.

20. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

This is just me. I think Technics, in partnership from Ortofon, should include a nice Concorde cartridge (2m red or blue level) with the 100C. It's basically plug n play which would be attractive to newbies. Technics could still include a headshell if they choose.

McLover and ranch 22b like this.
  21. Victrollin'

I keep telling her...my current turntable has a speed deviation of up to 0.9%, and a wow and flutter spec of 0.15%! What are we...a bunch of animals??? A man can't live under these conditions!!!!

22. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

I gave up on this and ultimately picked up the last Audio Technica LP7 that may have been on sale in the US. Huge upgrade from my Fluance RT83.

23. Rick58

I have an SL-1500C-K (black) on the way from turntablelab … plus a Hana EH, Ortofon 2m 78, and two Technics headshells. Just got the Hana EH yesterday.

cliff_forster and aunitedlemon like this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And if you need pitch control, it's there. In zero position, just like the SL-1500C. I am glad I have it when desired, even if it's not always used every time. Cheaper, and while no auto lift, does what you need and want to do at a good price for new.

Mike70 likes this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Wrong. Until the 2M is upgraded to Blue or Bronze, it is a downgrade otherwise. The AT-VM 95-E beats 2M Blue. And upgraded easily to AT-VM EN, or ML, or SH if you desire. And unfussy, and easy to live with. Cost effective unlike Ortofon. My present Technics SL-1200 Mk II black has an Audio-Technica AT-VM 95C installed right now (and I have several other options). I like it better than an Ortofon 2M Red. And I will buy an upgrade stylus for it, as I love it. Flat and accurate, and unfussy about capacitance load. And any medium mass/low side of medium mass tonearm these Audio-Technica bang for the buck cartridges/styli work superbly in. Musical and track great, the most for the least cash outlay. Versatile, upgrade or down grade capable as you need or want. What is not to like? I don't object (and I am not always the ultimate AT fanboy here either).