Technics SL-1200MK2 Upgrades (Pictoral)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 56GoldTop, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

These two mods were performed on my SL-1200MK2;
    - total rewire from cartridge pins to phono preamp (single continuous wire)
    - upgraded bearing by Applied Fidelity

I requested I longer spindle and that's what Jim (Applied Fidelity) provided.
    - changing to a thicker mat and using a record clamp is no longer an issue.

Other upgrades and tweaks were done but the aforementioned made the biggest improvement.

:cool:

rebellovw and 56GoldTop like this.
  2. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident Thread Starter

Nice.

Speaking of mats, I've never heard his screw down mat; but, I've seen it on more than just 1200s (spotted one on a Thorens TD124). Looks cool, though having the platter drilled is a bit of a one way trip.

Applied Fidelity Delrin Non Static mat

[​IMG]

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I know its kinda out of context but...
    I have a Technics sl-d2 (1979) and wanted to change the red led to blue. What size bulb? And is it simple? All I ever see is 1200/1210 info

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

I agree, this is a meaningless replacement, there is abolutely nothing wrong with this bearing. There are many other things one can concentrate on that really will make an upgrade, but not the drive system because that is already very, very good, IME.

5. bluelips

bluelips Forum Resident

my SL-1210 is all stock and I have zero desire to upgrade anything other than eventually getting a nicer cartridge/stylus than the shure m97xe i currently have

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Thread is on a time-out for misbehavior (earlier in thread, now reported). It will return.

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Here is my Technics - M5G - KAB Damper, Powersupply, Strobe disabler, Mike New Bearing and Isonoes - all worthy upgrades.

[​IMG]

And my equally favorite Classic - today is a snow day - loving it!

[​IMG]

Two great tables.

Happy new year.

8. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

I was skeptical about those aftermarket bearings until I installed the Applied Fidelity improved bearing.

Darker backgrounds with clearer vocals and instrumentation. Cost for this particular bearing was around $225 and IMO worth every cent!

56GoldTop and rebellovw like this.
  9. blakep

blakep Senior Member

No personal experience but in terms of the reading I've done the praise is pretty much universal among those who have modded the table with the improved bearings (Timestep, Mike New or Applied Fidelity) that it is, in essence, one of the best and biggest bang for the buck mods.

Main bearings are very, very important. Many overlook the importance I think.

56GoldTop likes this.
  10. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I'm a big time skeptic on any bearing upgrade on the 1200's. Sounds like splitting hairs for the sake of splitting hairs.

11. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

I collect vintage audio gear the same way some collect vintage autos. I keep my equipment as close to stock as possible and enjoy the performance for what it was when the gear was manufactured. Different strokes for different folks they say...

12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

It is pretty simple - the bearing supports the platter completely - the platter spins on the bearing - nothing else touching the platter - might as well use a great bearing if one is available. It is certainly not mandatory - you can take it or leave it - but most - very expensive tables - place great emphasis on the bearing.

56GoldTop likes this.
  13. 56GoldTop

I see no reason not to put that arm on a 1200. If you know the history of the 1200, you would also know the armless version (from the factory), the SL-120MK2 which is equal in every way to the 1200, minus the arm. As such, it was often supplied with a from the factory with an SME armboard (as were SL-1500s, SL-150MK2s and other models). Putting other arms on 1200s isn't a new idea, certainly not to Technics themselves at the time they were producing these various tables.

I own 5 12oos. I have taken them apart many times. I think that qualifies me to say, as well with any piece of gear, that if one uses the correct tool and does not over-tighten or otherwise mistreat the table, the screws will not strip. They never have for me. Furthermore, the build quality is excellent. Many tables of the time had cast tops. The precision and uniformity of the build has not only stood the test of time (and abuse); but, it also makes swapping or upgrading parts (the purpose of this thread) happily predictable and simple, even easy.

Thanks for your opinions on the table. By the way, that's a great pic which exemplifies just how much technology went into this table ca. 1978 and just might be the reason for it's reliable performance, stable speed and reputation as a table that can take an incredible amount of abuse and keep going. That they were able to do all this and mass produce it means there are many people who can get there hands on a great deck for less than the cost of a VPI Classic Direct (another great table).

Anyway, back to the available upgrades since that's what this thread is for.

Tim Müller and motorcitydave like this.
  14. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I would possibly like to try a different arm further down the road. I was looking at the Jelco brand. What do you guys think of them?

15. 56GoldTop

No personal experience; but, several that have mated them to the 1200 report positive results. There is one guy in particular who makes a tighter tolerance aftermarket collar for the Jelco arms. I like the fact that the Jelco (as well as the Ortofon and other tonearms) allow the easy use of well regarded lower compliance moving coil carts such as the Denon 103R, Ortofon SPUs, etc.

Jelco SA-750D with Mike New Audio aluminum/copper platter (which I don't believe he makes anymore, in favor of his ETP platter)

[​IMG]

16. I have a 1210 with a Jelco arm. The upgrade opened up the presentation, brighter without harshness. Before the upgrade I used the AT-150 and a Denon DL-103. After the change out the 103 got sweeter and the 150 seems a bit brighter. I have not tried another arms. The Jelco arm to about 2 hours to install, a fun afternoon project.

motorcitydave and 56GoldTop like this.
  17. missan

missan Forum Resident

For those that like keep everything stock, I would recommend the KAB fluid damper. A great real upgrade, and the TT is still totally intact.

18. motorcitydave

Cool, thanks for the info! :cool:

19. motorcitydave

Cool, sounds good. Which model Jelco? http://www.jelco-ichikawa.co.jp/products/tonearm.html

20. Dave: I have a 750 SA-750DB 9". I got the arm from a vender who use to sell on Agon and Ebay. Also note, preparatory Jelco RCA cables are needed, which added $100.00 to the transaction. The armboard kit was also off eBay from a seller in Greece. I used Youtube video's for disability. If for some reason you are not happy with the change, you can always put the stock arm back on and sell the Jelco.

Before I made the switch, a friend loaned me his 1210 w/jelco 750 along with a phono stage with two TT imputs. Both 1210's had DL-160 cartridges. I performed side by side A/B comparison. I have two copies of Dire Straits "Brothers In Arms" . The results were interesting. To my ears there was very little sonic difference. Later on after he took his gear home, I purchased a DL-103 for my still stock 1210. The 103 was slightly dark yet very smooth. So I got the Jelco. After the change the 103 opened up and remained sweet. The 103 was so nice, I got a DL-103r which is my main stay on the modified 1210 these days

Also note, since getting the 1210 I’ve always used a Sumiko HS12 Headshell except after buying the Jelco which comes with a Sumiko HS12 clone.

21. motorcitydave

Ok, cool, thanks again! :)

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Ooh that was my first 'table! I loved it at the time though now I realize it is not as well-built as the 1200. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is a great upgrade. :agree:

24. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

I have a predecessor of the SL-1200, the SL-1800, made in 1978. How anyone can put down a product that does exactly what it's supposed to after 37 years of life is beyond me. I don't care what it looks like under the hood, the thing plays great and is ultra reliable.

dmckean, motorcitydave and Huck Caton like this.
  25. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

IMO this is a waste of money. There's nothing wrong with the stock bearing. I have a 37 yr old Technics SL 1600 with essentially the same bearing in it and after all these years it still doesn't induce any audible noise into my system....why fix something that isn't broken?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.