Technics SL-G700 Grand Class Network Streamer/Super Audio CD Player thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Jack Skowron

Jack Skowron Well-Known Member

Here's a question-I have the v1 player, and use the app on an Android phone. Is it possible to stream my Bandcamp purchases through the Technics? (I do this in the car all the time, using Android Auto, the Bandcamp app allows you to stream any album you've purchased, which is a wonderful perk!). I can't seem to figure out how to do this (if it can be done). Thanks in advance.

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Some more about the Technics SL-G700 M1.

About the error correction system when playing CD/SACDs. This player is a bit more sensitive to some CDs, than my Yamaha SCD 1000 player. I think I have spun more than 350 discs so far. 3 of them had some issues. The first CD seemed to be perfect, but a closer look it had some small spot of grease. After a wash, everything was fine. The second one the Technics had some problem reading was one of my scratchy CDs. Well, after a wash, this one also played perfect. The third one was a strange case. A norwegian CD from 1995, visual absolute perfect. But several tracks on this CD, this happened: when you push play, you can have a look at the display, the CD is playing, but no sound. After 10-15seconds, the music starts playing. Same with a few other tracks on this CD; the display tells me the disc is spinning, but no sound, total silence, then after 10-20 seconds suddenly there is music. What is it with this CD that the Technics don't like? Some kind of error?

Every SACD disc so far plays perfect. My previous SACD player before Yamaha was a Sony european CD/SACD model. This Sony machine had big problems reading a specific classical hybrid SACD. Also some problem reading a Creedence SACD from Analogue Production. But both the Technics and Yamaha plays both SACDs without any problem.
    Maybe someone can share some information why error correction from different machines not reads disc equal? Different sort of error correction chips?
    I have two blu-ray/4k players from different brands. One machine has serious problem reading a specific disc, the other machine; no problems at all.

The sound quality from the Technics amazes me. I could swear it stills improves a bit, now after 8 moths and maybe 800 hours on it. In the last days I have played norwegian music recorded on wax between 1947 and 1952 (CDs), also played much Edith Piaf CDs, music recorded between 1940s to 1960s. This kind of music recorded with little or any sound cosmetics, now sounds significant better than my previous digital. The music sound so clean and full bodied and "visual", especially the vocals. And very clean sound, if there still are some clicks and noise to be heard from the wax recordings, transferred to vinyl or 78s, and then digitised. And I can really hear the acoustic room the music was recorded in. I'm really impressed.

The Technics SL-G700 belongs to the Grand Class components from Technics. I'm wondering how a Reference class CD/SACD/streamer would sound.:)

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  3. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

This is my favorite Reference SACD:
    [​IMG]
    STS Digital doesn't make SACD any more - too expensive to produce...

This player is for those who want to upgrade their system to a good player at a reasonable price. If it can also play MQA-CDs... why not?
    And you played your favorite discs (CD, SACD), you heard the SQ improvement, you like the sound.
    Then you're wondering what this tricky MQA-CD sounds like? And you buy the MQA UHQCD version of one of your favorite SHM-SACDs with the same mastering you already have and compare...
    The result may surprise you... You were so skeptical... And only one question remains: to whom should I apologize for everything I said about MQA?

ToniFromMars likes this.
  4. Jack Skowron

OK, no one knows about adding Bandcamp app to the Technics, it seems (that's OK, was a long shot).
    Another question/issue: I have a lot of music on external hard drives, some hi-rez, some live recordings, about 4 TB worth. I've tried connecting the hard drives to both the front and rear usb solts, doesn't work (they are 4 TB drives). (Occasionally a small amount of what's on the drive shows on the app, usually just doesn't see it). I read that there is a 2 TB limit on the drives, so I got a portable Samsung 2 TB drive. Downloaded about 1 TB of music to it, connected it to both the front and rear usb slots, again didn't see the drive at all. Do I need to invest in a server (NAS, or a high end audiophile version, like Aurender, Milco, etc)? Would an Apalple Mac Mini (or other computer) connect and allow the hard drive music to be seen by the Technics DAC? (The whole point of the Technics was a 1 box digital solution, for streaming ,usb, CD, SACD, but seems I can't get the usb part to work). A small usb stick with a few records DOES work in the front usb slot, but that's as good as it gets).
    Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  5. Bringbackvinyl67

Bringbackvinyl67 Active Member

You are possibly hitting an issue with the version of usb that the technics supports. Not much you are going to be able to do except check the version the player supports and then check your removable device matches. Alternative might be if it’s got a network port, if so you can probably attach a nas but I’d check using a laptop or other computer as a source before buying a nas.

Jack Skowron likes this.
  6. Jack Skowron

There are different versions of USB? It's a new external hard drive, connects with the standard usb cable (which does fit in the back). Maybe I need to reformat? (I do have an HP Laptop that isn't getting a lot of use, could try that as well, though it's a bit bulky/unwieldy. Also have a MacBook Pro, use it more but could connect and disconnect as I wouldn't be always using the external hard drive).

7. Jack Skowron

Vinyl is quite back, btw...:)

Triffid likes this.
  8. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Check if the latest firmware update is installed.

9. Jack Skowron

(as I have a wired connection for internet radio already, I think the only other connection I could use IS USB.

10. Jack Skowron

My App says I'm on 1.01.05.00-is that the latest? How do I check and update?

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Jack Skowron likes this.
  12. Bringbackvinyl67

Firmware update might help, but it could be hardware

Jack Skowron likes this.
  13. Bringbackvinyl67

Yes, generally a v2 port can accept a v1 device but often not the other way round. There are nuances to this but that’s the idea. Probably why your cheap slow memory stick works but not the more expensive and faster external drive.

Jack Skowron likes this.
  14. Bringbackvinyl67

If your internet radio connection is via an Ethernet cable you might be able to also connect a nas or computer to your router and use them as sources at the same time. Depends on the software on the player

Jack Skowron likes this.
  15. Jack Skowron

I am connected to a router (wired) (spent some bucks to get a router near my system). I tried the internet update on firmware, the Technics tells me it's up to date.
    Going away for the weekend, will try connecting my HP laptop with an external drive when I get back (will need some long ethernet cables-probably need to upgrade the cable that's currently connecting the Technics and the router as well. It never ends...)

16. Jack Skowron

(Or, I can just go back to playing LPs...)

Triffid likes this.
  17. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Here it says latest version is 1.01.06.00 Grand Class SL-G700 Firmware | Firmware Update | Technics

You can try the Update via USB flash memory, scroll down on the link above for instructions.

Jack Skowron likes this.
  18. Jack Skowron

True, my app says I'm on 1.01.05.00, but when I did it through the internet connection, using the remote and the knob (it is fussy), it tells me I'm up to date. I'll try the flash memory sometime this week, thanks!

19. Jack Skowron

OK, so I connected my HP laptop to my router via the available USB-C connection, connected the external hard drove to the laptop, then checked on my Technics phone app (Android) forop the music on the external hard drive. The laptop and the hard drive do not appear there. Maybe I do need a server (defeats part of why I bought the Technics in the first place, though).

20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Did you try this?

21. Jack Skowron

(Come to think of it, I have a PC in an upstairs bedroom that is connected via wire to another router on the home network; the Technics doesn't see it in the Music Server section, or the external drives connected to it)

22. Jack Skowron

No, on my to do list...

23. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

There is a LOT of info in the manual about usb playback so probably worth it to review.
    This is copied from the manual if you want to reconfirm the specs of your usb devices:

The USB drive or its contents cannot be read.
    • The USB drive format or its contents is/are not compatible with the unit. (⇒ 105)
    • The USB drive may not be read which has the files/ folders with the long names, even if the number of the files/folders of the USB device doesn’t reach a maximum number (⇒ 111).
    • This unit does not guarantee connection with all USB devices.
    • FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS file systems are supported.
    • This unit supports USB 2.0 high speed.
    • USB devices may not be recognised by this unit
      when connected using the following: a USB hub
      a USB extension cable
    • It is not possible to use USB card reader/writers.
    • This unit cannot record music to a USB device.
    • Not all files on the USB device may be read if there
      are some files not supported.
    • About supported format, refer to “File format”
      (⇒ 113)
    • Folder and file structure
      The unit plays back only the music files in the
      selected folder. Select the folder containing the tracks that you want to play back.
      • Nothing is played back if you select a folder
      without music files, such as the folder in the
      diagram below. (“Empty” is displayed.)
    Go to page 105 in the manual to see examples of recommended and not recommended file structures:
    https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20201202151300/Manuals/133/133SLG700K.PDF

USB (Front/Rear)

Type A Connecter
    USB 2.0 High Speed
    DC 5 V 500 mA (Front) DC 5 V 1 A (Rear)
    USB Mass Storage Class

Support Memory Capacity
    2 TB (max)

Maximum number of folders (albums)

Maximum number of files (songs)

File system
    FAT16, FAT32, NTFS

File format
    This unit supports the following file formats.
    • This unit does not support the playback of copy-
      protected music files.
    • Playback of all files in formats supported by this
      unit is not guaranteed.
    • Playback of a file in a format not supported by
      this unit may cause choppy audio or noise. In such cases, check to see if this unit supports the file format.
    • This unit does not support VBR (Variable Bit Rate) playback.
    • Some of the connected devices or servers may
      be capable of converting files in formats not supported by this unit and output them. For details, refer to the operating instructions for your devices or servers.
    • File information (sampling frequency, etc.) shown by this unit and playback software may differ from each other.

File format
    Extension
    Sampling frequency
    Bit rate/ Number of quantisation bits

MP3
    .mp3
    32/44.1/ 48 kHz
    16 to 320 kbps

AAC
    .m4a .aac
    32/44.1/48/ 88.2/96 kHz
    16 to 320 kbps

WAV
    .wav
    32/44.1/48/ 88.2/96/ 176.4/192/ 352.8/384 kHz
    16/24/32 bit

FLAC
    .flac
    16/24 bit

AIFF
    .aiff
    16/24/32 bit

ALAC

.m4a
    16/24 bit
    DSD
    .dff .dsf
    2.8/5.6/ 11.2 MHz

Jack Skowron likes this.
  24. Jack Skowron

Thanks-I did see all that before, but thanks for taking the trouble to repost it.
    The player doesn't even see that a hard drive is connected, much less list the files that are on the drive. It didn't work directly connected to the Technics, or to the Router.

25. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

I wouldn't expect a usb hard drive to work connected to a router unless you have a type of compatible server meeting the specs of the Technics player and compatible software controller.
    The usb drive would only work directly connected to the Technics player.