Technics SL-G700 Grand Class Network Streamer/Super Audio CD Player thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by russk, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Audirvana looks interesting to me as Roon is much more expensive. But being fairly tech unsavvy how does it work and what external hardware if any would I need? I currently have a 2TB HD and a WiiM Mini connected to my SL-G700. I use the Technics Audio Connect app which isn't the best but it works. How is Audirvana a better alternative than the Technics app? Thanks for any thoughts on this!

2. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I'm not a tech savvy guy. I figure out what I can then run to the net for the rest. Audirvana is far less user friendly than Roon but it is not difficult to get up and running. Both allow you to EQ and check the quality of your streams. Roon is superb at cataloging your material and providing you with metadata. Both are said to enhance the quality of the music you stream as well. I use Roon (lifetime use) but used Audirvana for nearly a year. You download the app to your phone or tablet. The core gets downloaded to your computer which is part of your network. That is plugged into the SL-G700. The SL-G700 is Roon ready which simply means Roon and select Technics hardware are designed to recognize each other and work together with ease. It does. Audirvana works fine too. I never use the technics app beyond the adjustment of filters and such.

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thank you for your thoughts, much appreciated. I'm going to try the Audirvana free trial. So when I download the Audirvana app to my laptop (Windows 10) it will show the SL-G700M1 as a player? Then do I download the app to my iPhone 13? Any other tips that would ease the setup? Thanks again!

Todd68 likes this.
  4. Mansinthe Mavea

Mansinthe Mavea Forum Resident

Roon is absolutely worth it. Especially once you use all the DSP features it offers. I got a lifetime 1.5 years ago. Absolutely worth it.

Todd68 likes this.
  5. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

Jack, back to pages 6 and 7 of this thread - you’ve been chasing this for over a year now.

The most straightforward solution is for you to buy a NAS device. That’s the lowest cost option to access data (music files) from another physical location - as long as you have a home network.

You cannot access the hard drive connected to your PC - the only solution I’m aware of (which I also use) is that an iPad can access music from a Mac iTunes library via an app called ‘Remote’ and stream it to the G700 - I’m not even sure they offer this app anymore, but I still have it and it works great.

That said, please tell us: do you have a home network? What device (router/Wireless access port) do you have?

If you have a router/wireless AP, do you have a spare Ethernet port on it?

If you do, you can plug a NAS into the Ethernet port and the G700 can access the music on the NAS via the home network, even if it is in another room.

[As a caveat, I have my G700 hard-wired (via Ethernet) into my router and the NAS also wired (via Ethernet) into the router - I don’t use wireless. But I wouldn’t worry about it as I use streaming media all over the house via WiFi.]

Then you have two options to select songs. Option 1 is to select ‘DMP’ as the input and then via the G700 screen using the remote control - you have to scroll to the folder on the NAS in whatever structure you have, then the album, then the song, etc. Option 2 to use the Technics app on a phone or iPad to select songs on the NAS.

That’s it. That’s all that’s involved, after you transfer the songs from your USB drives to the NAS.

If you still have questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
    Jack Skowron and Bill Mac like this.
  6. dadonred

Just to add:
    1. A NAS is the music server in this case. (It will either have an app installed or allow you to install an app onto it.)
    2. The NAS has a processor built into it - it replaces the mac-mini in the approaches others referenced. The processor transfers/streams the music file to the G700.
    3. The G700 will detect/recognize the NAS as a DMP - digital music player (actually a digital music server/streamer).
    4. The benefits of a NAS is that multiple users may stream music from it at the same time. For example, someone could access it to stream to a digital TV if they’re exercising in a room at the same time you’re listening to your G700 in a different room; the NAS also can be set up with redundancy so that your music library is protected in case one drive goes bad.

Jack Skowron likes this.
  7. dadonred

One more add, for completeness:
    I have a fiber optic cable from my iMac to the G700. So when I use the iPad with ‘Remote’ app on it, it wirelessly communicates with the iMac to select songs/playlists (from its iTunes lib which is also stored on my NAS) and the iMac streams to the G700 over the optical cable. It ‘just works’ and is so simple. (The G700 in this case just selects that optical input.) I’m not aware of anything that works like this in the PC world.

Jack Skowron likes this.
  8. RWAudio

RWAudio Forum Resident

At any rate, George, my hope and expectation is that the SA-10's sound is somewhere in between the SA-KI's and SL-G700's. Which if it is, might be just what you're looking for. But I will see soon enough.

9. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Try Roon t00. Given the discounted deal, it is worth the effort. You will see detailed instructions online. Actually, it's pretty simple. No need to fear if you are not a super tech. If you stream, connect to the provider you use. They don't do Apple or Prime. Qobuz or Tidal work beautifully. Follow any online advice to connect you HD music too. Honestly, they do a far better job explaining the setup than I ever can. I had no issues with either from the get go.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Awesome… thanks again! I’m going to sign up for the Roon Black Friday special of 3 months for $3.00. Great opportunity to try Roon for next to nothing. I know the SL-G700 is Roon ready but I wonder how it’ll work with my Marantz SA-KI Ruby that’s in my main system. I’ll have to read up on that.

Todd68 likes this.
  11. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Good luck. I hope it all works for you. Roon crushes Audirvana in terms of ease of use. I am sure you will agree. I only use Roon now. I have a lifelong subscription. No regrets at all. But, mess around with both and see what works best for you.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. George P

George P Notable Member

A word of warning - Crutchfield has a seemingly friendly policy regarding returns. But - if you have three returns, even if they were all defective and properly documented and approved as such by Crutchfield, they will cut you off.

I had three returns (all defective, all returned in like new condition in less than a week each time) in a SIX YEAR period and got a "friendly" call today that I shop locally. I asked how that would help me determine if a product was defective and the guy had no answer. He didn't even have the guts to tell me straight that I would no longer be able to order from them, I had to ask him directly. Only then did he admit it.

So I just wanted to warn you guys. I will be starting a new thread on this to alert others.

martinb4 likes this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm having no luck setting up Roon. I have yet to find a way to set it up once loading the app on my Windows 10 laptop and iPhone 13. The app on my iPhone is stuck on "Connecting...". Not a good start for someone with very limited computer skills. Not very intuitive to setup IMO.

14. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

You need the Roon Core on your computer and the app on your phone. This should help.

Bill Mac likes this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks so much Todd! I really appreciate your help!

Todd68 likes this.
  16. dadonred

Well, I’m glad @Bill Mac mentioned that AVS thread on using Qobuz. I signed up and was streaming directly to the G700 in no time, controlling it with my iPhone. I enjoy it very much!

But on Qobuz, browsing and selecting songs does seem to drain my battery - after a full day and then a 90min listening session, phone was dead. I guess that’s the app UI. The app crashed once (on the iPhone) but still maintained the connection with the G700 when I opened it back up. When I turned off the G700 (at the end of the session), Qobuz app started streaming to my iPhone.

The app UI is ~OK. I couldn’t figure out how to see the play queue and I dislike that when you play the next song - it plays the next one in whichever album you happen to be in, not the next song in the play queue. I did see catalog holes in this 90 min session and a lot of songs I chose were CD resolution. You have to watch the volume from track to track as levels may differ substantially. But all in all, I’m pretty interested in it. My expectations are few: play high-res, simple to use (control what’s streamed to the G700 using the iPhone), reasonable cost, and a good catalog. I’ll see how it goes over the next 30 day try-out.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

So with the Lifetime, its 1 payment of $800+ and that's its you have access to the app with updates and such for a lifetime am I understanding that correctly?

Todd68 likes this.
  18. TheRealMcCoy

TheRealMcCoy Senior Member

I just downloaded Audirvana on my Mac to use with with streaming from my NAS over my network to my laptop connected via USB on my Ruby worked great. Was a bit tricky to figure it how to get it going but I got it... I'm not a fan of subscriptions but you can buy a license for a $100 or so.... I'm not big into consistently "upgrading" Hope you find something that works for you.

Bill Mac likes this.
  19. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Yes, that's right.

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  20. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Regarding the SL-G700 (either models), I looked into both models, but AFAIK, it is not Roon Ready--only Roon Tested. Roon Tested means it behaves like an Airplay or Chrome Cast devise and is limited to a the maximum throughput. True Roon Ready devices are listed on the Roon Partners page (What does Roon work with? ). The difference between Roon Ready and Roon Tested can be found on the Roon Partners page.

Perhaps something has changed, so please correct me if I am in error--I had hope to consider the SL-G700 M2 as a SACD player/DAC/Streamer. I instead I purchased an iFi Neo Stream with an optical input (dead quiet) as a temporary DAC to replace my TEAC. I do hope the Technics unit will become Roon Ready or perhaps is already.

21. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Good point of clarification. You are correct. It works great with Roon but I do believe it actually falls under the "tested" banner.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  22. Jack Skowron

Jack Skowron Well-Known Member

Thanks for getting back (I don't get notifications for some reason when someone answers me, just see them when I open the Setvehoffman site).

Anyway, not too long ago, I needed some Verizon work, so I had them add a router to my Living Room (where my Stereo is). The Technics IS connected via cable to the router (which is whatever Verizon provides).

I have a Macbook Pro, an HP Laptop that I use in the Living Room to get work done. My music is mostly on external hard drives in an upstairs room (also with a Router and wired connection), connected to a Windows 10 PC.

I have been struggling with this for a year (I work, don't spend all my time on it, but it's been something I've tried to get going, with mixed results).

My PC uses JRiver (31, the latest version), which is supposed to allow for this sort of streaming. I've tried to use the MacBook Pro, can't seem to find the music on the upstairs hard drives.

JRiver does have 2 "Remote" apps for Android, which I've downloaded to my phone. One of them, JRemote2, actually seems to work, sees all the files on the PC/Hard Drives, connects to the Technics, plays the music. So what's

the problem, you ask? The app maxes out at 320 kbs mp3 (I have SACD, hi-rez FLAC on the drives). Parts of my stereo are Aging Audiophile (Thiel 3.6 speakers, Krell KSA-150 amp), but I could hear this wasn't "hi-rez" before I

realized the app was downsampling, took me a while to find the settings, and the lack of a way to stop it from downsampling.

The other app is just called JRiver-I've had trouble getting it to "see" all the music on the drives, and to connect to the Technics (though I think this may be the solution if I can figure it out).

But I've been leaning to some version of NAS or music server (probably should have some for backup of those TB of music files). Is there a specific NAS that you'd recommend? Does it need to be directly connecte to the Technics?

Would a high end server be advised (these will cost 2-3 times or more what a NAS would cost)? Any recommedations on these if recommended?

I'm an older audiophile, not digitally savvy by a long shot! I do very much appreciate the feedback (and I'll take it to PM if there's more to go into).

Thanks very much!

dadonred likes this.
  23. Jack Skowron

And, to belabor the (already belabored) issues, would a mini PC or Mac Mini work (either connecting drives to them or via the network)? Somewhere that's been a suggestion. I have an ancient iMac, needs to be repaire, but could be used as well (though where to put it would be a challenge). (I've also read about WiiM streamers, very inexpensive, an option?)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  24. dadonred

The only NAS I can speak of is this one: https://www.westerndigital.com/prod...erm=WDBVBZ0040JCH-NESN&sku=WDBVBZ0000NCH-NESN

If you have this one, you can connect it to your network. If you have an unused Ethernet socket, you would plug this NAS ethernet port into your Verizon router. When you configure the NAS, you can select applications that can be pre-installed for music streaming. Installing it is easy with their user interface. You would need to select the capacity of hard drives for your NAS. This one has 2 slots for 2 hard drives. You’d configure it as a RAID1 where one disk has essentially the same data as the other one - if one hard drive were to ‘die’, all your content would still be available on the other hard drive and the NAS would automatically select it to stream your music.

Now, because it’s a NAS, you would then be able to play your music on your macbook, on your PC, on your phone while connected to your home network. The others would access it through your router via WiFi. (My network lets me stream high-res files without issue over WiFi; but like you I also have my NAS hard-wired into a switch and router.

The NAS typically comes with a USB interface to attach to a local machine. But you really don’t want your PC involved every time you want to listen to a song on your NAS. The NAS has computer (server) built into it which takes care of streaming and networking aspect - another computer is not required.

The one thing you’d have to do is transfer your music from your current drive onto the NAS. The NAS GUI provides simple instructions to do that. In this case, you’d likely attach your current hard disk to the NAS via USB to speed up the transfer process.

Then when you have this, a device would just see your NAS as a music server - this is how it looks to the G700. And you can navigate the content on the NAS with the G700 remote (hierarchically, using the panel) or on the Technics mobile app to select songs or create playlists. For all practical purposes, audio files are streamed from the NAS directly to the G700 after the selection is made so that high-res/FLAC files are no issue.

Joe Hey, Bill Mac and Jack Skowron like this.
  25. Jack Skowron

Thanks so much-looks like NAS is the way to go!

Bill Mac likes this.