Tedeschi Trucks Band I Am The Moon quadruple album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Miles1968, Apr 20, 2022.

1. rodrigosanche55

rodrigosanche55 Forum Resident

I would love some insights on the induction of new members to TTB (Gabe Dixon, who also contributes to the song writing, Brandon Boone) and departure of the previous ones (Tim Lefebvre, Kofi Burbridge).
    Also, usually Mike Mattison's contributions tend to be my favoutites, but here it's my least favourite.
    Great album though, looking forward yo the next ones and to catch them live at Bataclan on November!

Jimbino likes this.
  2. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Well Kofi Burbridge sadly died and was replaced by Gabe Dixon who was a solo artist prior to joining the band.

Tim Lefebvre is a highly in demand player but also is a bit of a nomad. He left, briefly joined the Black Crowes and left them.

They also recently added Isaac Eady on drums when JJ Johnson left.

ARK, Skydog7 and rodrigosanche55 like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I've been an Allman Brothers fan since 69 and the last lineup of the band was my favorite since the original lineup. I'm new to the Tedeschi Trucks band and would appreciate your suggestions for their live albums.

pocofan and Skydog7 like this.
  4. WarEagleRK

I meant more live in person as I doubt they have ever done a bad live show. They only have 3 live physical release albums (Everybody's Talkin', Live From The Fox in Oakland & Layla Revisited Live) so it shouldn't be hard to catch up on those. They do release select shows on nugs.net to download, I would suggest the Chattanooga show from last November if it is still on there as it is quite great.

ARK, Skydog7 and ssmith3046 like this.
  5. ssmith3046

Thanks, I'll order those three today

ARK likes this.
  6. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Good stuff here...enjoying this one and look forward to the rest of the series.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  7. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

Their “officially released” live CDs pale in comparison to the far too few shows available for digital downloads on nugs.com. I am a huge believer in this band. I’ve seen them over 15 times…and for some reason, their “official” live releases do not do the band justice. Serious. You want to be blown away, download and listen to these shows…

05/17/2019
    05/16/2019
    12/03/2016 (fire, fire, fire)
    10/05/2019 BEACON
    10/04/2019 BEACON (I was at both Beacon shows..simply mind-altering)

Tedeschi Trucks Band Live Music Stream and Concert Downloads

There are many more on nugs. Each one deserves to be downloaded and DANCE, DANCE, DANCE or just close your eyes and be transported. That’s the unique thing about TTB. You decide how to enjoy! There’s no wrong answer.

renounce, rontoon, oneway23 and 5 others like this.
  8. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am happy to enjoy their studio recordings, and really I don't have any desire to see them live. I am not wild about their "live" albums, but I am generally not a fan of "live" recordings in general.

9. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Who is that sharing vocals with Susan on `I Am The Moon'? Not Mattison...the
    keyboard player, perhaps?

10. WarEagleRK

I am guessing so. The song was written by Gabe Dixon so that would make sense.

Daryl M likes this.
  11. WarEagleRK

No offense, but not having a desire to see this band live is your loss. They are amazing live.

12. mooncusser2k

mooncusser2k "Oink, Oink, Woof, Woof, Baaaaa."

Correct, it's Gabe Dixon.

13. Further

Further Forum Resident

I loved what I heard on Part I so much, I just ordered the Deluxe LP box set of this. This just feels like one of those important “masterpiece” type of albums and I felt that I would regret it, if I completely fell in love with it later and didn’t go all in for this one, while it was available.

I hope I’m right because it cost me $288.00 CAD, shipped! Yikes! Haha

gdpeck, Skydog7, allbrosca and 3 others like this.
  14. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I have listened to the CD a few times now since getting it the other day and like many my favorite is Pasaquan.It brings to mind all those great instrumentals in the days of The Derek Trucks Band and even the songs featuring Mike there was still a lot of great jamming.
    No doubt this will never happen,but i was thinking how great it would be to have one of the 4 new releases be an all instrumental record.
    Susan is certainly one of my favorite singers as well as Mike.But it would be so good to just feature Derek and the band playing.
    Of course there have been a few instrumentals by TTB,but some included as a bonus or hidden track.
    Jazz musicians have expressed themselves through their music for decades,i'm sure this great band could to.Give Susan,Mike and the other singers a break for just one record :)
    Here is one of those great hidden tracks.At least on the CD.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  15. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

both their live albums are worth buying, but I don’t find them to be go-to’s for my listening. I prefer the shows they release through their fan club through nugs.net

Everything these guys do has connected with me. As I said upthread, I’m fundamentally unable to *not* like Derek Trucks’s output. Biased as hell, just as I am with Duane.

Music is what it is, not what it’s not, and I effing love this new album. Cannot wait for June 21 in Jax.

16. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

ditto @Bossyman

Bossyman likes this.
  17. ssmith3046

I love this new album too. Another member suggested the nugs.net also and I ordered the CD of a 2019 Beacon show. How do you like Signs for a studio album?

Skydog7 likes this.
  18. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

Gabe was a fill-in for Kofi for the Spring 2019 tour. Gabe has added all kinds of things, not just playing, but singing, presence, and songwriting.

On the day Signs was released, Kofi died.

They took the stage that night and some of their shows in Feb and March 2019 are incendiary…reminded me of the spirit and energy of the ABB’s 5-man band in 72 and Govt Mule after Woody died in 2000.

my favorites are and Tedeschi Trucks Band Live at The Met on 2019-02-26 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive . the shows from Japan that summer are also pretty incredible.

Tim had left the band the previous summer, and Brandon Boone joined then. He’s added a deep funk groove to the bottom end. JJ Johnson left the band in 2020/1 and Isaac Eady from NOLA got the call. It’s added to the swampy groove.

rodrigosanche55 likes this.
  19. Skydog7

Skydog7 Forum Resident

I love it though it took awhile to grow on me. I listened the sh!t out of it (on repeat) to get it into my craw—a habit I’ve picked up with artists I love.

For bands like TTB, with such a strong live presence, it’s easy to overlook the studio work. But I appreciate that they keep making new music and put so much effort into it.

I don’t really have a favorite studio record of theirs. I genuinely love them all. Signs was a really mature record, then 1/4 of the band changed: Kofi, Tim, and JJ for Gabe and Brandon and now Issac.

I’m looking forward to how these new songs appear in the sets this summer.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  20. WarEagleRK

It's good for my bank account that nugs.net sells the physical releases as CD-R's, because I would spring for the $23 each for a bunch of live shows if they were pressed CDs.

ABBDutchFan and Skydog7 like this.
  21. Bossyman

Bossyman Forum Resident

I would say you MUST do Revelator first…(their debut album)…PURE STONE COLD CLASSIC

Then “Made Up Mind”…another great one…Then “Let Me Get By.” Once you’re indoctrinated, you can do “Signs”. It’s a slightly different vibe.

You will be enthralled. I promise…lol…

Have fun…what a wonderful thing it is to discover new music…(spread the word…the band deserves a larger following)…

vegafleet and ssmith3046 like this.
  22. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Thinking of getting the CD: how’s ythe sound and mastering?!

23. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

96k - Album DR7

24. Further

Further Forum Resident

I have the same problem as others. The Bandcamp download gives me everything in 24/192 except Pasaquan, which is 16/44.1.

Is Bandcamp just sending corrected files to people who happen to ask about it? I would have thought that after a few complaints, they would have fixed the main album download link by now.

Who did you guys contact to sort this out, Bandcamp, Fantasy or the band?

25. geddy402

geddy402 Forum Resident

Anyone know if these were recorded to tape?