Television - Marquee Moon (Rhino High Fidelity AAA reissue, Jan 2024)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PearlJamNoCode, Jan 10, 2024.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I have an original Japanese pressing so i don’t need a 2012. I should have looked a bit harder. Hopefully Juno will let me return it.

The new one only seems to be for sale from the Rhino US site, which makes it quite expensive in the UK

Flaming Torch likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Now I’m confused: Which “new one only seems to be for sale from the Rhino US site”? :confused:

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

The Kevin Gray 2024 AAA cut. As far as i can tell. It says ‘exclusive’ to rhino.com

peskypesky likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

The one this thread is about? Yes, it’s been discussed above, on the first few pages. Sorry for the confusion but by now I thought everyone knew this. This is effectively why I ordered it.

5. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

To be clear, there has never been a remix of Marquee Moon, only remasters. Huge difference.

VQR, peskypesky, Darren L and 5 others like this.
  6. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Ok. Not sure why you got confused. We’re both talking about this new 2024 AAA pressing.

peskypesky likes this.
  7. Neonbeam

Well that might be the next Rhino version: “Marquee Moon: The Steve Wilson Remix”!

peskypesky, MGM and versionsound like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Because by now I thought it was clear that the Rhino High Fidelity series was only available online.

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Yeah, my mistake. I know better.
    Except for the times when I don't...

peskypesky and versionsound like this.
  10. versionsound

Stranger things have happened, but I’ve never heard anyone complain about the mix.

Neonbeam likes this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Probably more about simply not caring. Rhino is owned by Warner Music Group. They can afford nicer mailers, especially if purchased in bulk.

They can also afford better customer service, but choose not to provide it. Been that way for years now.

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

'only available online from rhino, to be specific.'

Not clear to me . As I have not been following the thread from day 1.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Well only a couple of days ago I asked the very same question. Because it wouldn’t be the first “store exclusive” that later showed up through regular channels. But apparently Rhino High Fidelity are reliable. Even if an item is a slow seller - which “Marquee Moon” definitely won’t be - it stays exclusive to their online store.

14. versionsound

I just want to take a second to thank @PearlJamNoCode for starting this thread. If this had just been added to the generic RHF thread, I’m not sure that I would even be aware of this release. If any other similar records get the RHF treatment, I encourage those of you who regularly follow the generic thread or just keep up with what Rhino is doing to create a similar stand-alone thread. I will definitely be watching this series, but I’d hate to miss something like Fun House because I just wasn’t paying close enough attention. If I see something good with no dedicated thread, I’ll do the same.

15. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Welcome back!

16. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Its not what the artist intended

Its amazing that some of the people who have been on this forum for years, even decades don't know the difference between a remix and a remaster.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Much more common than you think IME. Historic fetishist record collectors are especially guilty. Many have no idea how records are made or how music is recorded.

VQR, nosliw, snorker and 5 others like this.
  18. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Not to be confused with "Breaking In My Cart", a Steve Hoffman Forum favorite!

Neonbeam and patient_ot like this.
  19. ralphb

Like this, right?

[​IMG]

20. versionsound

That first TV solo record sounds more like Television than the S/T record, IMO. Any fan of Television should own it.

21. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

I have been following this with interest as I love the album so much!
    As you will all know Uncut voted it the best album of the 70s.
    As I am in the UK this new cut a bit pricey for me.
    However I have the 2018 Rhino R1 571606. Blue vinyl with Little Johnny Jewel and alternative versions as a second disc.
    It's great!
    It was released in Europe and may still be a more affordable option for those without an original.

22. ralphb

Disagree about the S/T album, agree about the first solo. Very underappreciated album, and "Breakin'..." could have gone for a full side as far as I'm concerned.

zobalob, pobbard, Liam Brown and 2 others like this.
  23. versionsound

I’d love to have the outtakes on vinyl, but the cheapest copy on Discogs right now is $70, so I don’t think it’s a cheap option anymore…

BornToBoogie likes this.
  24. versionsound

I like the S/T album, but with Tom using his solo voice, it always sounds more like a solo album to me.

ralphb likes this.
  25. abracax

abracax Forum Resident

At first I thought you were referring to Television instead of Tom Verlaine :laugh:. I wonder whether the band are called Television because T.V. corresponds to Verlaine's initials. I had never thought of it before. Massive coincidence otherwise.