Tell me about your cd player.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Good Guy, Sep 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Looks just like it!

2. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dear Mr Freak . I started another thread a week ago called " Please tell me about your Turntable" I talked about mine , however very late night listening before you fall asleep (float down stream) turntable isn't that practical , thats why I like CD. Cheers.

3. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all your posts , I have enjoyed reading every reply. Keep them coming .

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ah, the PD-91 was probably my favorite CD player of all time, if only for the giant platter. That always seemed to impress the hell out of people. The Sony SACD players with the "hockey puck" holder transports were much too fiddly for me, but I owned a few of those, too:

[​IMG]

God help you if you lost the hockey puck...

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I have a Sony XA5400ES SACD/CD player--love it! I use it for all RBCD and most SACDs, which I listen to in stereo. I use my Oppo 105 to playback multi-channel SACDs, primarily pipe organ or the occasional choral piece, plus an handful of orchestral works that truly sound better in multi-channel. (Most have too much direct sound in the rear channels for my taste.) I listen to 99% classical music.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

bxbluesman, tmtomh and Mik like this.
  6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I disagree, I need something to play my thousands of cds, scads, and dvd-a's. Music servers blow and are way overrated.

tmtomh, bhazen, samurai and 2 others like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

To each his own. I now have 7000 CDs ripped as of this weekend... only 5000 more to go!

8. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

First: Magnavox FD 2040. Gone now.
    [​IMG]

In the current fleet:

[​IMG]

Technics SL-PG100. Nice sound on this one. Bought it to interface with my Technics cassette deck. "Peak search" and "Tape Length" programming functions were a big plus back then.

[​IMG]
    Pioneer DV 588 A Universal player. Does a fine job with DVD-A and SACD. Also my main DVD player.

Honorable mentions: Sony CDP-CE525 5-disc changer, Pioneer PDR-509 CD-RW recorder.

9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Can you elaborate?

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Here's my Resolution Audio CD-50. I bought this on ebay for very little money back in 2004. The seller had pics showing quite a bit of cosmetic damage, thus the low price. After unpacking it I took a cloth and some windex and rubbed off a bunch of blue paint(???).
    [​IMG]

I have tried several other players in an attempt to better it. I keep figuring newer technology will surpass this player. Maybe my ears are just so accustomed to its sound or it really does sound better. Either way, I gave up trying to better it and bought an extra laser assy. I now plan on this being my last player.

11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Lets see, my first was the over hyped and sterile sounding Phillips 960. I got rid of that when my first laserdisc from Pioneer, the cld 3080, blew it away with its mash chip. Then I got the Cal dx-1 which was great even though it was just a Technics player in many regards. Then I went big time with a Meridian 506-20 player. A wonderful machine even though it tended to start a track a half second into the song(track) itself. Then my most fun player a Musical Fidelity dm25. Finally the best I ever had the Esoteric sa-50. Though they say today the Esoterics have even better chips from Akm. Ofcourse all over the place were/are DVD and bluray players that play cds but are not really used for critical listening. Pioneer 79 avi, Denon, Yamaha, Panasonic, Sony and two Pioneer Bluray machines. Take care, John M.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I've had more than I can remember, currently have
    Esoteric K01
    Sony 5400
    Oppo 105

Mik likes this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Which one do you prefer?

14. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Tell you about my cd player.
    It sits on the rack and collects dust.
    Tim

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Which one? :D

In my main system, I have a Sony SCD-777ES SACD/CD player and Denon DVD-5910CI SACD/DVD-Audio/CD player. Of the two, I use the '777ES more often for CD playback. In this system, I also have Sony SCD-C555ES and 'C333ES SACD/CD changers, which are nice obviously for loading up several CDs. I use the 'C555ES more often. Then I also have a Pioneer Elite PD-65, which is a good player, but I don't use it too often these days.

In my second system, I have a Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/CD player and a Denon DVD-3910 SACD/DVD-Audio/CD player. Similar to the main system, I use the 'XA5400ES more often than the '3910 for CD playback. I also have a Sony SCD-C2000ES SACD/CD changer in this system. Finally, I have Sony SCD-XA5ES and Sony CDP-X3000ES CD players in this system. The 'XA5ES was released in Japan, and the 'X3000ES was released in Europe. I don't use these players too often, but they look nice. :)

tmtomh and Mik like this.
  16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Esoteric X-05
    Oppo BDP 105D
    Marantz SA-11S2

Mik likes this.
  17. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

How about the old Technics players with a 45ยบ mirror:

[​IMG]

This was my first player - loaded with cool features ("side A/B", anyone?).

The Panasonic DVD-A350 was a vast improvement and still stands up today. Big, solid, detailed sound for CD (if you use the "Front" audio outs, not the "Mixed" outs) and the best transport I've ever used - faultless for 15 years and counting , perfect functionality (except not CD-R compatable) and sounds better through my DAC than others I've tried.

The SONY SCD-1 was the best sounding player I had but then I went over to streaming (and had back surgery!).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    tmtomh and ffracer like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Gaaaah. Wasn't that the one that took five minutes to load? I was appalled when I first encountered that.

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Esoteric K-03. 65 lbs. of joy.
    [​IMG]
    Replaced a Bryston BCD-1 which replaced a couple of Arcams which replaced a Technics which was my first spinner.

D.D.

Bachtoven, Mik and bhazen like this.
  20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

That's the bastard :agree:

Even worse was the BDP-S1 (the one in the Bond movie). I was going to watch Gone With The Wind on it but I didn't have time to wait for it to load :D

Vidiot likes this.
  21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

My first player, in 1985, was a compact Hitachi bought new for $299 (I think.) I shall never forget how mesmerized I was listening to Dark Side of the Moon the first time: utterly silent backgrounds, zero tics & pops. I was (and remain) hooked.

Since then, I've had an Onkyo, a Rotel, a Rega Planet, Naim CD5i, and an Onkyo C-S5VL (a brilliant CD/SACD player; sadly, the transport on that just died.)

Despite its unfashionability, I remain committed to CD playback; I have nearly one thousand discs. My current worry is, will they still be making CD decks twenty or thirty years from now??

Erik A. flickinger and hal jones like this.
  22. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I've had a Rega Apollo for several years now. I don't listen to it all that often anymore, but I do like it as a player. Rega as a company supposedly keeps enough parts on hand to repair their CD players for quite a few years into the future.

bhazen likes this.
  23. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

I know the "refusal to open the CD drawer if an un-burnt CD-R is placed inside some CD machines" problem.
    Have you tried turning off the CD machine, waiting a moment - and then by carefully " almost similtaneously time-juggling" like a pin-ball game : Pressing BOTH ...the drawer' open - switch..... AT THE SAME time as one presses the ON switch of the CD player..... It works every time for me, when using either one of two Pioneer PDS 802 CD machines( Circa 1995) I have

One of the many other machines I own & use....my Sony Elite SACD/ CD ( which when faced with an un burnt CD-R) ...simply displays such 'a no information' read-out : does not seize up the player .... but then by the mere press of the CD drawer 'open button' - allows easy removal of any said such disc

24. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The English Naim brand still is/ was also into this 'puck' idea. The moment I saw 'the device' demonstrated in a shop... I thought "Here we go again . Won't the aficianados that swore on the need for huge weighted stabilizing pucks on TT, be pretentiously wetting their pants with joy, on seeing this puck -idea??!!" :rolleyes:
    My personal thoughts...
    (1)
    Imaging the puck slipping off -after not being properly affixed by the user - before CD drawer closure- "doing high speed damage"
    (2)
    A user going hysterical : "I've lost the puck. NOW........I cannot play a CD!!!"

Vidiot likes this.
  25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I got rid of it cos its not as good as vinyl :winkgrin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.