Tell us about a song that blew you away on first listen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

"Interstate Love Song" by The Stone Temple Pilots was one of the few songs from the '90's that really grabbed my attention. :thumbsup:

2. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

The two that most quickly come to mind are both songs I
    heard first live. And I still remember the dates !!!!

1.) July 11, 1986 - Van Morrison at the Garden State Arts Center
    During the evening, Van played several songs from his upcoming
    (unreleased) album. But the one that stoned me to my soul ( :) )was
    played toward the end of the night. I believe it was the 2nd
    to last song during an encore. Van played "In The Garden"
    with its line "No guru, no method, no teacher... just you and
    I in nature... and the father, son, and holy ghost". The
    song was COMPLETELY unexpected and I cannot imagine
    anyone else being able to write or sing a similar song.

2.) November 29, 1985 - The Ben Vaughn Combo at City Bites, Philadelphia
    They opened their last set with "Hey Man Hey". I was aware
    of some good press that Ben was getting in Philly and NYC
    and I knew Marshall Crenshaw had just covered "I'm Sorry
    But So Is Brenda Lee" but I was not aware just HOW GOOD
    Mr. Vaughn was. It took about 3 seconds into "Hey Man Hey"
    and I was hooked. I returned every chance I could. More
    importantly, I wouldn't trade those nights at City Bites for
    a trip in Sherman's wayback machine to the Cavern or
    Hamburg (circa 61-62). Ben has since moved to LA and
    found "fame" doing background music for television and film.
    He makes more money than he did back then - but I sure
    miss those days. At least I get a good smile when that
    car commercial comes on that features "Bad Word For A Good
    Thing" in the background....

3. BZync

BZync Senior Member

The first time I heard "Sweetness" by Jimmy Eat World I was pretty impressed. I thought a few of the Coldplay songs were good upon first listen.

But being "blown away".....somehow I'm going back to the Summer of 1990, sitting in a Greek fast food joint on the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica & having the lushest sound come over the stores speakers. It sounded very Beatle influenced to me. It sure wasn't a new McCartney track. But the voice was familiar. No, more than familiar, I knew that voice....but it was out of context musically. Fortunately, the DJ announced the single "Praying For time" from the upcoming George Michael disc.

George Michael? Yep, that sure was his voice, but it was miles away musically from "I want your sex". Turned out to be a very good album.

-BZync

4. A few previous suggestions I will echo..

Crazy Train - First heard it in a pinball arcade over Bose 301's and I was astonished, and had to find out who was that guitar player!

SRV - VooDoo Chile. I first heard this on Austin City Limits while channel surfing back in the day. And agree 100%....that was THE definitive version of this track.

But if I had to pick one, it would be hearing Van Halen's Eruption/You Really Got Me over FM radio (WAAF, then based in Worcester, Mass) while cruising around in the car in 1978. At that time, I had never heard anything like it (was there anything like it at the time??).

I am thinking that was in the spring of '78, because later that summer, they toured with Sabbath (Ozzy still in the band), and I got front row at the now defunct Cape Cod Coliseum, and 1/2 the crowd still did not know who VH were.

BGL

5. darbelob

darbelob Senior Member

For me, THE ONE was Break On Through. I was in high school during the golden era of 64 to 68 and heard some of the greatest mements of Dylan, Byrds, Beatles, Beach Boys, etc when they were new. But when I put on the Doors first album and heard that first song, for me, I had never heard anything as cool as that!

6. DavidW

DavidW Senior Member

Like A Hurricane - Neil Young

I first heard it on TV on one of those late night concert shows that used to run on Friday and Saturday nights and loved the song. I bought the album shortly afterwards. And the title fits the theme of the thread.

7. WhosieWhat'sIt

WhosieWhat'sIt New Member

The first time I heard John Coltrane's version of "My Favorite Things" was a moment of absolute, transcendent bliss. It was December of 1994, I was at a performance of a local dance company's tongue-in-cheek take on "The Nutcracker". One of the main characters performed a solo ballet to the entire song. Truly one of the most joyful things I've ever seen in my life.

(So many other songs qualify, I could write about this topic for weeks... Another biggie was the first time I heard "Bells" by The Pentangle. Wow.)

8. Lindy

Lindy New Member

Two experiences come to mind --

1. My Bloody Valentine, Loveless, "Sometimes" -- I'd never heard anything like this before. This was my first exposure to the shoegazing genre.

2. Bill Evans, The Tokyo Concert, "Mornin' Glory" -- My oh my, the first couple minutes of this song are so delicately and almost painfully beautiful.

9. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

10. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I've Seen All Good People - Yes

Listening to the local FM rock station one day in the spring of '71, suddenly I found myself completely mesmerized when those high, angelic harmonies kicked in...."I've seen all good people turn their heads each day, so satisfied I'm on my way..."

Still love hearing that one to this very day.

11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

"To Keep from Crying" by P. Hux (Parthenon Huxley), from the album "Deluxe."

Let's face it, so much of what makes Power Pop great is pure *sound* -- ringing guitars, great harmonies, etc. Here's one song where the lyrics and the feeling stand toe-to-toe with the sonic elements.

12. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Paul's Here Today made me cry the first time I heard it, and it still does.

Elton John's The Greatest Discovery. What a beautiful song and what a great message.

"And all you ever learned from them,
    Until you grew much older,
    Did not compare with when they said,
    This is your brand new brother."

I was lucky enough, many years later, to see the thrill in my older daughter's eyes (she was almost 2 years old at the time) when we introduced her to her baby sister.

Life can really have some wonderful moments if we take the time to notice them.

13. Frank G

Frank G Forum Resident

"She Ain't No Good" by Sean & the Brandywines. Heard it on the radio and just about drove off the road bobbing the head. Just loved the hook.

Frank G

14. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

In the old days, new songs broke out on AM radio. Stuff like "SOUNDS OF SILENCE", "BORN TO BE WILD" and "PAPERBACK WRITER" were first heard on tiny car speakers or clock radios and sure sounded great back then. Seems like every other day there was something new and exciting to hear from the radio. It's not quite the same these days.

15. Tim Lyman

Tim Lyman New Member

A while back, I purchased the Eric Hard to Find 45s on CD, Volume 7 comp, and discovered a great oldie I'd never heard before: Nancy Wilson's "(You Don't Know) How Glad I Am." When I heard Nancy's sing/speak delivery of the opening lines, I stopped what I was doing and just listened. Then I listened again. And again. I was just transfixed. Wow, what a great song.

16. "Sowing The Seeds Of Love" by Tears For Fears.

I was tuned into K104/Poughkipsee, NY, and the DJ said something along the lines of "I know we're not supposed to comment on the music, but I just love that new record by Tears For Fears!" That was Tears For Fears? Coming off the heels of "Mothers Talk"?? A great record, 15 years later.

Ron G
    a radio guy

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

Sandy Denny - "Listen Listen". I'll never forget the first time I heard it back in 1990. I checked out the vinyl box set Who Knows Where the Time Goes from the public library. It is the second song on Side 1. I was stunned. Still am.

18. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

Mickey Newbury - San Francisco Mable Joy, from the first LP, Looks Like Rain. Brought tears to my eyes and left me feeling like I'd been kicked in the stomach. Newbury was the first artist I'd ever heard who could literally paint lyric pictures in your head, and San Francisco Mable Joy was like a entire incredibly sad movie.

19. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Rolling Stones: Sympathy For The Devil...thought it was amazing on first listen

Beatles: What's The New Maryjane....freaked me out (bootleg)

Beach Boys: The Smile album

Bob Dylan: Positively 4th Street

Chaka Khan: Tell Me Something Good

Steely Dan: Peg, Deacon Blues

Clash: Should I Stay or Go?

Beatles: You Never Give Me Your Money

Jimi Hendrix: Bold As Love

Miles Davis: Shhh/Peaceful

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

My wife and I were at an Eagles concert at the Scope in Norfolk, Va, musta been about 1975 or 76. Way before Hotel California, they were opening for Linda Rondstat. I had been a fan and loved the LP "Desperado" and enjoyed "On the Border". I did not know they had a new album coming out.

Anyway, into the set list, they announced that the next song was the title song from their new album. They proceeded to play "One of These Nights". Wow! I can still see Henley singing from behind the drums, and the refrain "In between the dark and the light" echoing through the arena.

This was a song that I liked INSTANTLY! I knew that this would make them more popular when it came out. I could have never predicted the future, and the band becoming superstars, then burning out into a $300 a seat nostalga act 30 years later!

21. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Pink Floyd's Money, cranked up on a quad 8-track no less; the cash register sound whizzing from speaker to speaker was a revelation to this young listener.

22. Robker51

Robker51 Forum Resident

"DO YA" by the MOVE! If this song doesn't knock you back upon 1st listening!

23. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The Beatles' "She Loves You" was probably the first song by the band I heard. It still has such a joyous sound! I played my aunt's 45 over and over and over...

When I first heard Springsteen's "Thunder Road" my jaw dropped. The imagery, the feeling of freedom in the music was incredible. I wish I could recapture some of that feeling these days...

Big Star's "The Ballad of El Goodo." I remember listening to #1 Record for the first time through headphones and when this song came on, I knew I found a special band. Beautiful melody and performance.

Steve

24. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

HEAR HEAR!!!

Why, oh why did Lynne have to sully the memory of this essential song by butchering it with ELO?

25. Robker51

Robker51 Forum Resident

Not to get off the subject of Great Songs, but you are so right, MikeM! What was JL thinking when he re-did "DO YA"? ELO's version pales in comparison, big time! And I love ELO and Jeff Lynne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.