That 70's Show needs to RIP.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lisa, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The Foreman haircuts were plentiful in Oregon, I can assure you. Tie-dyes were out by the mid seventies, and only hippies had them then. They were never as symmetrical in their design either, they were hippie-hand-made.
    Some of the terms I hear on that show don't sound familiar to me, but there have always been regional differences. I remember hanging out in Vancouver BC in 1973, and a popular phrase when something was impressive was "That's real ace!".

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The thing that always gets me about MASH is how old the actors playing the enlisted soldiers are. Guys in their 30s and 40s playing characters that should be about 20. Gary Burghoff could pull it off pretty well, but the rest, no. Especially Jamie Farr... by the end of the series, you had an almost 50 year old guy playing a drafted enlisted man, and it was embarassingly bad.

Another hair anachronism was Michael Landon's hair on Little House on the Prairie. You'd be more likely to see a woman with hair like his in 1870 than a man. Hair versimilitude was not a strong point of 70's TV.

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

There was a lot of long hair out on the prairie in those days, but it wasn't fluffed and styled. It was slicked down with bear grease.

4. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

The show was pretty good at the very beginning, but I soon realized that it didn't play too much on the '70s' thing for too long. The Todd Rundgren (but he's no Frampton) type stuff was funny, but they didn't use that angle for very long. I don't watch it anymore at all, but I could imagine that it could be situated in 2004 just as easily as the 1970's. A good idea that just took a wrong turn along the way.

5. Someone kind of beat me to it but, I also was going to mention how at some point the "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley" casts started sporting 70's hairdos and clothing during what was supposed to be the 60's era. So lame. And "That 70's Show" was good in the beginning but now just needs to fade away. "Freaks and Geeks" was so very, very, very much more better. I miss it.

6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That '70s show is supposed to be almost dead-on when I graduated high school (1977). I watched the first episode and hated it. It has nothing to do with the '70s, except as a vehicle to make fun of the broadest, easises targets. The characters are right out of the generic sitcom playbook, e.g. the clueless exchange student.

Trust me, I was there, and this isn't nostalgia, it's just stupid.

Kwad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.