Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The Absolute Sound High-End Loudspeaker of the Year: Yamaha NS-5000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hoffmanuser2020, Feb 22, 2021.

1. hoffmanuser2020

hoffmanuser2020 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Litejazz53, George P, Helom and 3 others like this.
  2. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Forum Resident

3. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Now we know who paid the most in advertising with TAS! :whistle:

4. iceaero

iceaero Well-Known Member

I’ve really wanted to hear these. No idea where or when I could though, but one day...

5. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

TAS must have changed, then. They used to review without "fear or favor" and panned Infinity's Kappa 9 speakers (circa 1990), along with one or two others (The IRS Beta got a decent, but not great review, and a couple of others), even though Harry had the Infinity IRS speakers as his reference. Arnie Nudell was not happy about that, and his speakers never made speaker of the year, yet he continued to advertise. I reviewed a pair of Genesis and the review was mixed, yet Infinity continued to advertise.

So, I guess you're talking about a different TAS, yes?

Also, this isn't THE speaker of the year; I believe that that will be the Wilson XVS speakers. This is a Product of The Year within a category. The fact that there are no other products means this will be put into perspective when the (print) magazine arrives. But it sounds like its more a "good-for-them" Product of The Year. Harley proclaimed the Wilsons the most lifelike speaker he'd ever, EVER heard. So, I doubt a $15,000 set of speakers would be THE product of the year. TAS has turned into an Alternate-Universe version of Stereophile.

In fact, this "Product of The Year" thing? It's confusing the way they do things now. I don't subscribe or read it much; it's not the TAS I knew and loved. Not by a long shot.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 3:39 AM
  6. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

The Lady doth protest too much, methinks

7. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sad but true. Don’t forget payola.

8. SonicCzar

SonicCzar Well-Known Member

Can we stop calling speakers like this "bookshelf"? They are floor standing speakers with a see through base, or stand mount speakers. If they are bookshelf speakers they should be reviewed on a bookshelf against a wall.

9. Ro-Go

Ro-Go Forum Resident

Gorgeous. Bet they sound good too.

For that price, though, it'd be tough to not go active ATC.

But these look nicer.