The Action - The Complete Recordings 1964-1968 4CD coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nick Dunning, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Amazon US price now down to $30.86 with free prime shipping :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DWFGF66/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

BeSteVenn, lightbulb and John D. like this.
  2. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

lightbulb and Tim S like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Thanks! I didn't see that! OK, money's tight here, but I gotta grab this.

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Ordered Sunday night - just came! Despite snowstorm. I'm in business now!

MisterPleasant and Mark Wilson like this.
  5. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Thanks for the heads up! This set wasn’t fulfilled on my Hanukkah wish list. Glad to take care of it myself today.

Tim S likes this.
  6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Nice box:edthumbs::cheers:

SteveFff likes this.
  7. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Superb box set and accompanying book; there is not a bad cut on it. I agree that the method of holding the discs in place in the set is poor - I have taken my discs out and put them in individual jewel cases.

"Shadows and Reflections" was a cover but the Action's version was the best; here are some other versions of it:

Anorak Thing: Shadows And Reflections with Tandyn Almer and Larry Marks

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    SteveFff and Tim S like this.
  8. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Just got this box when I got home today. Ripping as I type and about halfway through the first disc through my main system.

Christ, this is glorious music.

I don't know even close to all the details about the band's history but, man, staggering they never broke bigger than they did.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

So far I've listened to only disc 2 for a couple of weeks - I really enjoy hearing the band start to grow and forge its own style - and in particular to hear Reg King start to really find his voice.He's a totally soulful and engaging singer. As the songs start to get more adventurous he proves how versatile he is, too. He always delivered whether in their early mod-soul style or the later more psych leaning songs. I've pretty much worn out my copy of Rolled Gold, so the second disk seemed like a good places to start for me.

one slight complaint - Boy, I really don't like the disc 2 mix of Something Has Hit Me - with a dry as a bone lead vocal, one not-so well recorded electric guitar and no harmony vocals, the song loses a lot. I guess the good part is you get a clear, strong, very upfront Reg King vocal performance. This track and Never Ever are the first tracks where I start to hear the band trying some really interesting chord progessions, vocal melodies, and interesting harmonies - of course disc 3 is there all this comes to a glorious fruition.

10. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

As I said in the Rolled Gold thread the other day, my obsessive interest in the Action is limited to the material on disc 3, but with this post you’ve helped me to get off the fence and order the box. Thanks, Tim.

HappyFingers and Tim S like this.
  11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

I love the Disc 2 stereo mixes. They bring out a lot of things that are a bit buried in the mono. Still like the mono too but some of the musicianship doesn’t come thru as well.

Mark

Tim S likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Finally ordered myself a copy of this box. Previously only had the “Rolled Gold” CD that came out in the mid-2000’s. The stuff on disc 1 sounds great, but I’m noticing what sounds like some tape degradation on the Rolled Gold material on disc 3. Anyone else notice this? I heard it on “Love Is All”, and the great “Strange Roads” sounds like mud on here a bit.

I think I honestly prefer the mastering on the 2004 disc.

Good set and great book and packaging otherwise.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Finally caved on this set after being put off by the DR numbers posted earlier in the thread for the first disc. Need time to fully digest this but I went ahead and uploaded the DR logs to the DR database for anyone that cares.

I was sure what people were talking about re: the disc package, but I've never seen anything like this. It's a pseudo digipak try thing with no center spindles for the discs and these stupid little tabs to hold the edges, then the discs lay on top of each other. The discs don't stay in place well and are guaranteed to get scratched. Mine have been transferred to paper sleeves.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

14. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I hate the packaging, too. I don't put much stock in DR numbers, especially with material that originally went to tape with plenty of compression.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  15. John D.

John D. Senior Member

After waiting for the right price, I finally got a hold of this cd box set. I prefer LP's to CD's so after working my way thru the box set I determined I have to have some vinyl by The Action.
    I had another waiting process to go thru, as the LP listed at $29 and change. Finally it got down to $16.43 and that's when I made my move, and sure glad I did. Here's what I got.
    These stereo tracks on this LP sound very nice.

[​IMG]

Chrome_Head and Tim S like this.
  16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

OMG DR readings in the red zone, I am selling mine. :shake:

:laugh:

17. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Just announced for October 25, Mighty Baby At A Point Between Fate And Destiny ~ The Complete Recordings (6 CDs) on Cherry Red/Grapefruit. They've been working on this for a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WJR9HKS

Hep Alien, Tim S and Daveymoore like this.
  18. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Ooooh - I wonder if they've found anything interesting. I love the 2 studio albums (the first one is a desert island disc for me) but the live stuff that followed was a mixed bag - some good, some poorly recorded tedious jamming. I wonder what else there is...?

Sci-Flyer likes this.
  19. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I wonder if there'll be a sampling of their studio work, they were something of a house band at Island for a few years.

20. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

That’s true, I’ve picked up a number of albums over the years, Gary Farr , Robin Scott etc because they were the back up. Hope it’s more than that but equally I can’t help thinking we could have seen anything really good already.

21. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

I'm going to respectfully disagree here - I was quite disappointed by this vinyl release. I thought by Rob Caigers proclamations I was going to hear something magnificent here but I was a bit deflated after playing it (I loathe the front cover too - sorry to sound negative as I've loved The Action since getting the Edsel release in the early 80s)

patient_ot likes this.
  22. Dean R

Dean R Forum Resident

I don't think Rob had anything to do with this did he?
    It was Alec Palao and John Reed.
    Did Rob say he especially liked it?

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What's wrong with the vinyl and who cut it and pressed it?

24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Sci-Flyer and BeSteVenn like this.
  25. The Acid Mouse

The Acid Mouse Forum Resident

Ha you're quite right! I'd just been reading about the Autumn Stone when I posted originally - sorry for the mix up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.