The Astrud Gilberto Album - Help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SergioRZ, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I received today this CD:

The Astrud Gilberto Album

Japanese CD edition UCCU-9522

Doesn't have remaster credits, but it is a 24bit remaster... probably, like other japanese CD's from the same series, it has the same remaster used by Verve on any other current edition (be it VME or anything else).

I'm hearing what sounds like distortion during many parts of this CD... could it be some sort of damaged tapes phenomenon? I've never heard anything quite like this...

Is there any known issue with this specific album by Astrud Gilberto?

Does anyone have this Verve "Vault" edition:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist/releases/default.aspx?pid=11026&aid=2857

If so, please post peak values for the first three tracks...

My CD edition has:

Track 1 - 78,3%
    Track 2 - 78,3%
    Track 3 - 84,1%

I'm a little worried it could be some really bad mastering... on the other hand, I have quite a few CD's from this series (UCCU Gold CD's in mini LP format) andthey always sound at least as good as the VME edition (if one exists), or better in some cases. It would be the first one with unique bad sound :(

2. SergioRZ

So, no known issues with the sound quality of this album...?

3. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

I don't have the CD, just an original Verve mono LP, but I remember that the credits state Dave Hassinger engineered it at RCA Hollywood (think Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane); could be better, could be worse. My copy was mastered by Rudy Van Gelder.

4. SergioRZ

I can clearly hear distortion, like some intrument has a broken case :confused:

Sometimes Astrud's voice will also show signs of this distortion. It's very strange... I see I'll need to buy another CD version to check if this is something caused by poor mastering or if it's from the original tapes.

5. SergioRZ

Compared my CD to the Silver Collection CD... I can hear the same distortion problems on the Silver Collection CD.

I suppose it must be some problem from the tapes themselves...

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I just picked up the Silver Collection the other. I hear distortion throughout the CD. Is the Compact Jazz collection any better?

7. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I own the Man From Ipanema Verve collection of Tom Jobim, which contains 8 of the 11 songs on The Astrud Gilberto Album. I don't remember hearing distortion on any of the vocals. Could someone specify which songs, parts of songs suffer this?

Verve has released on their "Originals" reissue series, The Astrud Gilberto Album. I've been thinking of buying this, if it has improved sound over The Man From Ipanema cuts. Any opinions on this new Originals release?

8. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

I was also wondering the same thing and found this post. I guess the answer is "REALLY BAD."

To the Astrud G experts -- Is there a great sounding Astrud Gilberto compilation album? I have the 1987 Verve Compact jazz , mastered by Wilder,. and it sounds edgy, and although not compressed, it's not good sounding.

9. mfp

mfp Senior Member

There is an Astrud Gilberto comp called "Talkin' Verve"; I've never heard it, so I can't comment on the sound quality, but the selection of songs is original and interesting.

10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I have an ealier (UCCV-9005, 24-Bit, Bossa Nova 2001) japanese mini-LP reissue of this one and gives exactly the same peak lever as yours and has also same distortion you mentioned. The overall audio quality of this CD is far from satisfactory and I wonder if the LP is similar...

Best

Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.