The Ballad of Mott the Hoople and Ian Hunter - Album by Album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by onlyconnect, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

The ‘93 ‘Retrospective’ in the fatboy case is worth seeking out for the very unique mix of ‘Through The Looking Glass’…
    not available anywhere else. It’s… erm… interesting. :cool:

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  2. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks - Actually, I think I saw this the other day in a used CD shop - I'll be going back to pick it up.

Whizz Kid likes this.
  3. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Yeah, those Original Album Classics collections are often comprised of Legacy editions. The Vocalion SACD has Dudes, Mott, and Hoople right? With Mott split over 2 discs? That put me off. I think I don't need it.

4. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Also the All the young dudes Anthology 3 cds boxset seems to have the correct original album mix of All the way from Memphis, doesn't it ?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  5. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I don't know that one. Anybody else?

6. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

7. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

8. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

It contains the UK single version...

jeffrey walsh and smiley69 like this.
  9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

I can never get used to that truncated intro and early fade-out.

10. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

The retrospective compilations The Ballad of Mott (2 cds of Mott) and The Journey (3cds of Mott and Hunter) both have the correct the correct version

11. Braincapers

actually I take it back. I think Journey has the alt mix

jeffrey walsh and Alien Reg like this.
  12. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

I just double checked and yes, it does...

13. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for putting me on to this - I popped out yesterday and got it dirt cheap. Ripped the tracks I wanted. You're right about "Whizz Kid" - the "glam sigh" is present and correct. What I didn't know before is that the whole comp is a Vic Anesini remaster, so there's something of a guarantee of quality there.

And, yes, "Through the Looking Glass" - I wonder what brought that on!

14. Braincapers

I
    remember Ian being annoyed that the alt version was released. It was recorded as a joke

Alien Reg likes this.
  15. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

It does appear that Hunter is working on a new album. Anyone know anything about it?

Eg from Horse's Mouth Feb:

"You’ve written 20 new ones, is the next release going to be a double cd? Can we expect to be able to purchase it in 2022?” Right now, I don’t have an answer to that. When I do, you’ll be the first to know.

Horse's Mouth (Issue #230, February 2022) | Ian Hunter Dot Com

(the reference to 20 new ones is in the Jan 2022 Horse's Mouth.)

Tim

16. Only what you’ve posted here. Nice to see Ian still active. He’s been on a roll.

onlyconnect likes this.
  17. It’s fairly reasonably price at Discogs at the moment. Good set.

18. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Didn't realize Ian had a connection with Mike Campbell. You'll hear Ian come in at about a minute and a half. Reminds me a little of his Dirty Laundry work.

19. Braincapers

He’s been talking about it for ages. It looks like covid delayed it. There’s talk of many special guests

onlyconnect likes this.
  20. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Just received an e-mail notice from City Winery in NYC… on June 17, Alejandro Escovedo is playing “The Songs Of Ian Hunter” with Ian’s band, the Ranters. Very strange… what does that say about IH’s ability to play out himself anymore?

This has been his traditional local / “hometown” gig for the past ten years… it seems very odd he would sit it out while his band plays with a substitute frontman. :confused:

Old Fred likes this.
  21. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Might be that he is extra-vigilant about Covid considering his age and that there is some academic talk that long Covid can exacerbate tinnitus.

22. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

That's odd. I read every page of events for NY and Escovedo isn't mentioned. (Maybe I need new glasses? LOL!!) Did I miss it?

An, yes, it's odd Ian's not with the Ranters. :confused::confused::confused:

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

and there's an outtake of the unique mix where the band is laughing hysterically when Ian finishes his observations

Braincapers likes this.
  24. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Not one but two? From the latest Horse's Mouth:

"When do we get info on the new album? And are there two coming out – but not simultaneously?” It’s up to Sun Records – I’m told the first release is November 11th. Watch this space, the website and social media.​

Horse’s Mouth (Issue #237, September 2022)

slipkid, PJayBe and Eiricd like this.
  25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I heard the loud amplifiers and drum kits are what exacerbate tinnitus, and that was why he was done doing live shows, and of course, advancing age. Why, was there news he is thinking of returning to live performances?

Glad I caught that last Roxy show in LA.