The Banana Splits Movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I loved the original show and think this is a great idea. Looks fun.

BigManRestless likes this.
  2. Always thought that Bingo looked like Micky Dolenz.

Hawklord and woody like this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member

For those interested, the actors who portrayed the Banana Splits in the original 1960's show will be appearing at the Chiller Theater Convention in October. (Jeff Winkles who portrayed Fleegle in the show passed away in 2006).

[​IMG]

Chiller Theatre Expo - Main Page

MarkTheShark likes this.
  4. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

That must've been a pre-release mock up/place holder image while the "real" cover was being finished.
    Amazon is now showing this image of the DVD/Blu-Ray cover, which makes it pretty obvious that it's not a kids' film.

[​IMG]

MarkTheShark likes this.
  5. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A music parody would have been a better and more fun idea for a movie!

Why don’t we do it on Banana Road!
    [​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I loved the show as a kid, and the Tra La La song was one of the first records I had. I also loved the idea of this movie.

Unfortunately I think it's just a bad movie, I watched it last night and it just misfires on pretty much every level. I think it could have been a great idea taken to even more bizarre extremes, but it's just a cheap slasher film that happens to have the Banana Splits in it. It could just as well have been the evil Kiss robots from Phantom Of The Park...

Even having the Banana Splits as robots is bizarre...the film could (almost) have worked better if they'd been disgruntled actors. Anyone who can make robots that do what these Banana Splits robots do would be a multi-billionaire, not a bitter man working on a run down tv show.

To be honest I don't think it's never ever going to 'tarnish' the BS's 'legacy' or whatever. In a year or so's time I doubt anyone will remember the film exists except if they stumble upon it in bargain bins.

Bluesman Mark and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I have no intention of seeing this movie, but from what I’ve heard so far it’s the stinker I figured it is. :disgust:

8. keefer1970

I'll probably grab it when it comes to RedBox. I can't resist schlocky horror crap like this, especially with the Halloween season coming...

9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I kind of agree with this. I'm 55 and saw the show as a kid, although I'm pretty sure it was in reruns only by the time I saw. I have a nostalgic kind of fondness for it, own a copy of the album and like the music.

I have to say though, this movie seems pretty easy to ignore. I doubt that I'd have even heard about it, if not for this thread. I didn't even look to see if this is video only, is being shown on some cable outlet or what. I'd imagine that so few people will see it that it's not going to make much difference to any legacy the Splits can claim.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

There is always Scooby Doo...

Scooby-Doo! Curse of the Lake Monster

[​IMG]

11. keefer1970

Sadly... I think I've seen that. My kids went thru a major Scooby-Doo phase when they were small, so I saw pretty much every "Scooby" project ever made.

12. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Interesting, according to this Daniel Owen/Dan Winkless now goes by Anne Withrow, meaning she's likely transgender.

While that doesn't bother me in the least, how many people who were outraged/upset/traumatized at their "precious childhood memories", (aka "mistalgia"), being ruined by this movie are outraged/upset/traumatized to find out that their beloved "Drooper" changed genders?

I bring this up strictly to highlight what a pluperfect absurdity all the umbrage being poured on the useless little movie is in having a similar type of effect on those who got all bent out of shape about it "ruining their childhood"....

13. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I see Winkless/Withrow’s life choice as being a private choice and has no current bearing on the individuals’ past work on the original series.

The movie is a public work and is open to criticism from fans of the original series.

14. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

But much of the "criticism" leveled at this movie here has nothing to do with it's quality, (or the lack thereof), or it's merits, but rather by people outraged that a crappy kiddie TV show from 50 years ago is being parodied here, because it supposedly ruins their "precious childhood memories".

Most of the people taking offense at it have stated that they have no intentions of seeing it, which means that there's no way it can affect them or said nostalgic memories, rendering their issues with the movie entirely moot. Just like it's a moot point that her life choice has anything to do with people's memories of this show. That was my point. To me it's misguided outrage at best, or at worst faux outrage, simply for the sake of being "offended". I honestly don't know which it may be so I'm not commenting on that aspect of it.

But again, this movie's existence has no actual effect on anyone's memories, unless they chose to make it so, even if they do venture into viewing the film.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I support it simply for the "rapes/ruins/craps on my childhood" responses it elicits.

Jim B., keefer1970 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched the "Splits" as a kid. Shockingly, the movie didn't rape my childhood.

I like the premise but the actual movie is terrible!

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  17. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That may very well be. I really liked "Death To Smoochy" though, and few others seemed to.

18. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I still contend that a better way to have revived the franchise would been to do a musical adventure parody with the Banana Splits, a cross between the first Muppet Movie and Yellow Submarine. Liz Phair and The Dickies sort of were leaning in that direction and it could have been fun.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    clhboa likes this.
  19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Dickies version is ok, but I like the Liz Phair version better.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'd need to re-read my review to refresh my thoughts, but I recall thinking it was a missed opportunity. Lots of talent, good premise, lackluster delivery.

"Smoochy" is freakin' "Citizen Kane" compared to "BSM". The Splits movie is just a lot of gore and no creativity...

21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

A tale of two Snorkys.

[​IMG]

Silver Surfer likes this.
  22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I just finished watching the movie. Man, what a waste of time. I was pretty little when I watched (and loved) the tv show. I wasn't expecting much from the movie, but wow, what a piece of crap!

23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Told ‘ja! I knew it’d be crappy, and I have no intention of wasting my time with it! :rant:

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Now this is a fun cameo.

25. FredV

FredV Senior Member

The Banana Splits web cartoon was really fun, much better than the new movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.