The Band SHM “Flat Transfer” CDs vs Mofi /AF

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grateful Ed, Nov 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident Thread Starter

So that would indicate different tapes, right? Could there be any other explanation?
    I hear a bit of a pinched upper midrange on the SHM. Listen to The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down and King Harvest and compare with the AF and Mofi. That harshness on the SHM is not present on the other 2.

As far as tapes go, I don’t hear enough of a difference to really matter - this is all really just a curiosity. There are times when I think I may be hearing slightly better fidelity on the Mofi, but that could just be mastering choices (or placebo after viewing the spectrogram data). But if the spectrogram data can conclude anything, it’s that if any of these reissues didn’t use the original master tapes, it’s the AF and SHM whose spectrograms are more consistent with those of copy tapes. The spectrogram data from the Mofi is more consistent with that of a master tape, but it’s hard to say for certain.

Plan9 likes this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, someone could also have abruptly cut the hiss between tracks

Grateful Ed likes this.
  3. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Does the Japanese MQA from 2018 of S/T (Brown Album) share the same mastering as the SHM-SACD?

4. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Bump

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

How is the Pastmasters disc for Rock Of Ages? I’ve yet to hear a cd that does NOT cross fade the applause from the end of side 1 into side 2, and side 3 into side 4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.