The Band - Stage Fright 50th Anniversary- Remixed, Remastered And Expanded*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wavlebe, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Just got my vinyl copy. I didn’t think it was coming for another two weeks, so it’s a pleasant surprise.

Robbie is 3 for 3. This version beats the stuffing out of my original in every way. Great sound, great running order, great job.

Oh man...Stage Fright sounds like a new song...in a very good way. Snares and cymbals are actually on this number! Love it!

Alan57, jumpinjulian, dee and 4 others like this.
  2. FuturisticWorkshop

FuturisticWorkshop Forum Resident

It’s true that many people on The Band’s social media posts kiss Robbie ass, but I’d say that online Levon’s supporters/Robbie haters are even more vocal. It’s exhausting as a fan. The truth is clearly in the middle. Robbie takes too much credit and dealing with those guys had to have been a huge pain in the ass. I love the records and leave it at that.

3. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

Same with mine. Tightest CD holder ever...

CBackley and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've weighed-in on Band "writing-credit" threads here on SH. At this point, like you, I don't dwell on it anymore.

I've been on a BAND BINGE in the past couple of weeks and have really been enjoying the music.

dee, SKean and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

FWIW, I went through another thread on the old mixes - the history behind it is ridiculous, but someone gathered pretty much all of the important quotes on it in a single post - from Sandoval who found the paperwork, Ken Scott (who was there when Rundgren mixed it in London), Todd Rundgren himself, etc., basically everything stated since the 2000 reissue. There's actually a narrative that makes sense, and you can see why there have been different accounts, and the poster (stoneylarsen) kind of guesses it at the start.

The post that gathers the info:
    Sandoval goes by documents, it's the only thing he trusts and understandably so. But it's unlikely that Todd's going to be wrong about mixing in England at the same time as Glyn - like flying to another country, working days and days in a famous but completely alien studio where he had to struggle with the setup. And it's unlikely Ken Scott is wrong about being at Trident and being disappointed when Todd came in and made him a gofer - especially given Ken's history there. And a big part of Steve's argument actually fits neatly into this: that the Trident mixes were mislabeled as Glyn's and that the sonic characteristics of those mixes are too much like Todd's. It does have some real logic to it, and with Glyn and Todd's anecdotes, it looks more than reasonable.

Notice that Sandoval made no mention of Rundgren in London. His documents say that Johns mixed the tapes twice at two different studios. Most likely:

In June 1970 Todd Rundgren (NOT Glyn) began mixing Stage Fright at Trident Studios, London, and (maybe by June 13th, more on that later) mixed & compiled a master of the entire album (excluding "Just Another Whistle Stop"). And THIS is the basis for the 1990 Capitol CD & the 1994 DCC gold disc release. (I'll have to compare "Whistle Stop" later to see where that might have come from.) This would back up Todd and Ken's memories of themselves at Trident, and it would at least have Todd in London mixing per his and Ken's memory instead of having NO record of him doing any work there.

Sandoval's documents say that on June 13th, Glyn Johns mixed the album at Island Studios, London. (From these mix sessions the final masters included on the original vinyl release of Stage Fright were "The Shape I'm In," "All La Glory," and "The Rumor.") The date is funny because Rundgren remembers swapping reels with Glyn, where they both mixed different halves, then swapped reels to mix the other halves. The dates should probably overlap. Maybe Todd remembered that part wrong, but if we give him the benefit of the doubt, I wonder if the process of swapping reels caused a mislabeling or mis-documentation that made this all unnecessarily confusing.

Regardless, Todd eventually flies back to America with two sets of mixes, but they're ultimately rejected. Sandoval has documents that say on June 25th Todd began remixing the album at The Record Plant, New York. Sandoval also found documents that said further remixes by Rundgren were done at The Hit Factory (also in NY, commencing on June 30th & running through July 3rd). He says these wound up being the final mixes used for the original vinyl release with the exception of the 3 Glyn Johns Island Studios mixes noted above. It makes sense because Todd himself remembers mixing a third set of mixes with the Band, BUT he remembered it being done at Bearsville. As mentioned, Bearsville wasn't up and running until 1971, and given how Rundgren stated that particular detail - more or less in passing - he most likely misspoke.

Regardless, if we accept that Todd did the mixing in London at Trident, then the Record Plant/Hit Factory mixes are likely the third set of mixes that Todd mentions being completed, and again they were a complete pain in the ass because he had to appease all five members of the Band on a day-to-day basis, one song at a time.

So to sum up, the DCC gold CD would have to be the first set of mixes Todd created at Trident, none of which were used for the original vinyl release. It all seems to fit together, outside of "Just Another Whistle Stop" - if that was the only song that was never mixed at Trident, I don't know where the master tape used for the DCC gold CD would have gotten it. (Comparisons to all released mixes may have an answer.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    SteveFff, dee, DrAftershave and 10 others like this.
  6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Make69, ssmith3046, jamesmaya and 3 others like this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I get that the song sequence of a classic album is canonical, especially after 50 (!) years. But, again, being a newbie to this album, I can't imagine it not ending with "Sleeping." It's the best song on the album, IMO, summing up the band's strengths: emotional poignancy, the beauty and fragile strength of Richard Manuel, and superb, locked-in musicianship. It's a ballad, and it rocks in counterpoint...has it all, really.

"The Rumor," to my ear, is just where it needs to be ~ at a juncture where its intensity is called for. "Shape I'm In" also ~ I think it's at full strength in the 2nd song slot (leaving songs I like better still to come).

(And as one brand new to "Just Another Whistle Stop" ~ that song rocks.)

All the talk about the sequence has had me paying special attention to that on this release. And I've gotta say, I think it serves the material brilliantly.

If this album can't compete with the first two, it's still a great listen as presented here. Great mix. Playing it a lot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  8. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Stagefright 50 arrived yesterday. I paid £10.99 on Amazon UK (roughly $13-14 I guess). Fantastic. I had the 2000 remaster, but I heard the Albert Hall side, and I had to get it. I only vaguely remember reading about the concert in Melody Maker, I was 14 at the time. Isn't this how anniversary releases should be ? Reasonably priced and something extra not just demo's etc of teh original tracks. Makes Deja Vu 50 look a ridiculously bloated and expensive purchase.

9. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

The new mix and song sequence are a welcome revelation. A chance to hear the album with fresh ears.

10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I like this new version. It makes me think the original versions were finished with an ear towards an old timey tube radio and Victrola records sound. The new mix doesn't sound "effected."

dee, supernaut, hiterss and 2 others like this.
  11. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Still waiting for my deluxe set from Musicvaultz. They keep extending the release date. Now it shows March 26.

12. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I'm in the same boat. I think it was actually released a few months ago. I was contemplating cancelling and buying it elsewhere, but no one comes close to the price MV had it at, especially after using the 15% off coupon and for Canada.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

Medicine Show has a smooth mood and happy vibe. I love the tone of the melding of the 2 lead vocals even though they are split from the other. The horns, piano, electric guitar, are all teamed up sweetly. Just what Dr. Walcott ordered!

The first 2 songs, performances, sequence, new mixes, are 'undeniably' irresistible! Stage Fright wanting to become 'my new most enjoyable' Band album.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  14. dee

dee Senior Member

That alternate mix of Sleeping really hit the sweet spot with me. I was doing something else and noticed how my attention had been completely drawn into listening to the Sleeping alternate mix without thinking about what it was.

And the Strawberry Wine alternate mix is right on target too imo as I enjoy it in a different way, in its rawer, maybe slightly tartier form.

Revelator and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Just listened to the Royal Albert Hall concert and it is impressive. In particular, there's more guitar on the tracks and Robbie's biting tone really rocks up the tracks compared to the relatively sedate studio versions.

As for the sequencing controversy, the new "side 1" of the album is fine, but the second side sequence is awful. Ending with Sleeping was a bad choice. Maybe if they used the alternate mix it would have made a decent "coda" to the album. Strawberry Wine doesn't fit at all there.

16. dee

dee Senior Member

Rockin' Chair from RAH :thumbsup: . Wow. Bliss. Sublime. 3x in a row listen.
    "we've used up all our time...and the days that remain ain't worth a dime..."
    Damn.

Kudos to Bob Clearmountain too as the lead, co-lead, and group vocal mixes are outstanding imo fwiw.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  17. dee

dee Senior Member

The Band keep me gleefully awake in Sleeping with some propulsive drumming and that rapid, unexpected burst of guitar. Some of the playing and tone on the album track reminds me of their Big Pink debut. This 'alt mix' is really a keyboard and vocal-only mix. It's exquisite, melancholy, and dreamy. Captures the essence of the lyric better imo. Like them both, but the bonus track mix really pulls at my heartstrings.

Strawberry Wine "alt mix" is a treat too. Sounds like a mono mix and more like a demo? Got a swinging vibe and funky mood to it with the lead vocal and chugging guitar featured. It feels like it has a little more swagger to it than the album track. The bass and drums sure are deft on the album track though. Wish they had kept the jam going a little longer on the full Band arrangement.

Those 2 are so good it leaves me wanting for more mix variations or 'takes' on the other songs!

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yeah I was trying to figure out did they just mute a bunch of stuff or is it a demo?

dee likes this.
  19. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Must have muted stuff because it’s an alternate mix, I.e. the same performance as the regular version. It would be listed as an alternate take or demo otherwise.

dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I don’t know, I’m not thrilled with the remix. I listened to the remix (vinyl) a few days ago and it gave me a headache. I don’t like the way the vocals sound.

I did find a sealed original copy yesterday. RL in the deadwax on both sides. I have to give it a good clean.

TwiceFan, C6H12O6 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. AllegroVivace

AllegroVivace Forum Resident

I agree, they got it right the first time. "All la glory" serves perfectly as the slow, heartfelt ending to side 1 just as "Whispering pines" did on their second LP. It should not be followed immediately with the raunchy "Strawberry wine". Also resulting in two straight Levon solo vocals. "The Rumour" is one of the great ending tracks in rock history also. Powerful, enigmatic and showcasing all three vocalists.

This is just stupid and also, I think, disrespectful to the other members of The Band. Three of them (maybe four, depending on Hudson's condition) had no say in this. Sure he wrote or co-wrote all the songs, but it was not a Robbie solo album.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The MFSL SACD of Stage Fright has been my go to copy. The redbook layer on it works for me. When I was playing records I liked the MFSL vinyl releases too. I'm thinking about picking this one up for the concert. I'd definitely try the remix too.

23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so no arranging the same songs on the album makes this appear to be a robertson solo album?

24. Harry Hotspur

Harry Hotspur Forum Resident

I don't know what anyone else thinks but I find the new mix a hard listen. It just sounds so in your face and tiring. I'm sticking with the previous CD version.

bobcat, TwiceFan and Tommyboy like this.
  25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Currently down at £84.78 Amazon uk. Think I will wait until it drops closer to £50.