The Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andy, Sep 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

If the first-gen Brown Album master is really MIA, might this be a case where a careful remixing from the multis could be in order?

2. Duke of Prunes

Duke of Prunes New Member

Two issues:

First, David, I have heard such reviews from others, but I've also heard less favorable (still favorable, just a bit less enthusiastic) reviews from others without HDCD players... I'm wondering how the HDCD affects the sound, as I don't, and won't, have HDCD capability. I haven't heard the set yet.

Second, I would like to say that I'd be HUGELY in favor of Steve doing anything Band-related, i.e. solo efforts by Danko, Manuel, etc, other good Band albums, live and studio.

BTW, I see I mentioned the vinyl brown album earlier, which I acquired a while back (I suppose an original pressing...). I can't listen to it, though...

Robert

3. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Levon has the masters hidden away... he's probably done everything he can to keep them out of Capital/EMI/Robbie Robertson's hands. He's very bitter, and he refused to cooperate for any of the recent reissues (the Last Waltz DVD only features commentary from Robbie and a little Garth... worth the price of the DVD to hear Garth play piano over the closing credits).

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

>>Although possibly slightly off-topic I feel it is worth a mention. The Last Waltz 4 CD box is HDCD encoded, although the packaging does not mention it anywhere.

I highly recommend this set. The sonics are well above average for a live recording, the performances are outstanding, and very historic!<<

Although I enjoy the movie for it's ambition and scope, I've never been able to get into THE LAST WALTZ on record without the visuals to accompany it-- and the new box set just further weighs down what I already felt to be an overblown spectacle.

ROCK OF AGES. Now *there's* a great live record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.