The Bangles "Doll Revolution" vinyl release from Real Gone Music (RSD Black Friday 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Oct 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

JohnBlutarski, Sean, Porkpie and 4 others like this.
  2. ToEhrIsHuman

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    JohnBlutarski and superstar19 like this.
  3. ToEhrIsHuman

4. ToEhrIsHuman

5. ToEhrIsHuman

BTW, Real Gone Music has already sold out of their own stock of 'Sweetheart of the Sun' on purple/pink swirl vinyl. Better get a copy while you can if you want it.

Munger74 likes this.
  6. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

JohnBlutarski, Sean, Steve Mc and 3 others like this.
  7. Munger74

Munger74 Forum Resident

Any word on the sound quality of Doll Revolution yet

Sean, Hep Alien and Steve Mc like this.
  8. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Amazon has it too. Given how the RSD Doll Revolution seems to have sold out very quickly with 1500 copies of a RSD first release item (vs RSD exclusive) priced at $40, and given there’s supposedly only 900 of Sweetheart and it’s priced far lower at $22-25, it’s either flying way below the radar as a non-RSD release, it was a far less popular album, or there are actually more than 900 to go around.

faceinthecrowd likes this.
  9. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

Well that album (Sweetheart) WAS available on vinyl previously -- I have a copy of the original, so I am not interested in that. Doll Revolution, on the other hand, was never previously on vinyl -- disappointed that Real Gone Music would go the RSD route for that album.

superstar19 likes this.
  10. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I posted in the BF pressing quality thread, but all I can say is that it's a good quiet and flat pressing. I did listen to it, but at lower volume, so I can't say how objectively good it sounds or compare it to the CD.

Munger74, Porkpie and faceinthecrowd like this.
  11. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

For those wondering about this release, I received mine today (ordered from Target).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice picture sleeve, though paper and not poly lined. The vinyl isn't all that colorful, and the "pink streaks" are more like grey and subtle at best, but the stock photo didn't make it look amazingly colorful either, so no complaints.

The deadwax shows the same "WELL MADE MUSIC" stamp like the RSD Doll Revolution, which for me played really really cleanly, so even though I haven't listened to this one yet, I'm optimistic that it'll be a quiet pressing.

While there may be only 900 of these, looks like there are 300 of the Newbury version and 300 of the Amazon UK, so at least 1500 out there of these new pressings.

12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’m waiting for them to announce the general reissue of Doll Revolution.

13. JamieLang

JamieLang Forum Resident

Please....please...please...while I'd love a "not crazy loud mastered" HD release most....I'll take vinyl.

This is literally the first year since RSD went big that I didn't even CHECK what was being released--it's usually SUCH a hodgepodge of hipster alt music and crappy collectibles....I guess I was just feeling some combo of busy/distracted and cynical...and so I missed this. How much was it at retail? I see the "RSD Scalpers" have them up for $50-100...

14. faceinthecrowd

faceinthecrowd Forum Resident

It was $40 and copies disappeared fast. My local told me they received two and the first people in line bought them. I'm hoping for a wider release at a much cheaper price.

Sean and Steve Mc like this.
  15. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Yeah, I think retail was $39.99, but the store I got it at marked it up $5 to $44.99. At past RSD's, they've been good about being at retail or even $1-2 below, but I guess they decided to go along with what some other stores do and mark things up.

Sean likes this.
  16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It was a RSD First, so I’m guessing it will get a general release on black vinyl for two-thirds of the price.

17. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I was lucky to snag one online at retail. Finally arrived today. I just finished listening to it and I think this is much better than the CD. The CD is mastered way too loud for me. The vinyl, while the album is still a rather compressed production, is far easier to listen to. Good pressing too. I really like it.

Hep Alien, Munger74, Steve Mc and 2 others like this.
  18. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

Glad to hear the quality is good!
    I hope a regular release is coming, but I'm pessimistic it might not be. I did not snag one myself because A. I could not find any in stock and B. I'm not sure I could have spared the $40.

Hep Alien and faceinthecrowd like this.
  19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Since this seems to have sold really well, I'm pretty confident it will be. The same thing happened with the Mamas and the Papas singles set that Real Gone pressed a few RSDs ago and the Black Vinyl version promptly showed up later in the year. It may take a little while, it they don't already have them pressed, but my guess is it will show up eventually.

20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Just finished listening to my Amazon “coke bottle clear/swirl” copy or however they described it and it sounds fantastic! The record itself had some paper shavings/dust that caused a few pops but when I ran the stylus over them a second time they were gone resulting in dead quiet, flat vinyl and much better sounding than the CD (though to be fair I have better system and vinyl set up than I had when the CD came out).

When this album was originally released I was pretty underwhelmed by it (I think I was expecting another Different Light) and ended up selling the CD a couple years ago for a lot more than I paid for it. I decided to give it another go though and really enjoyed it this time around! It’s a really cohesive, solid album with great songs and perfect length.

Hep Alien, jkerr and ToEhrIsHuman like this.
  21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Is this Doll or Sweetheart you’re referring to? Just curious as I didn’t think Doll had other versions than pink RSD one.

22. ToEhrIsHuman

Porkpie likes this.
  23. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Yeah sorry, I was referring to Sweatheart. I didn’t bother getting Doll Revolution, as great as it is, because it was really expensive and I expect the general release will be at least 2/3 of the price.

Steve Mc likes this.
  24. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Is there a version of the song that doesn't have the annoying spoken intro?

25. ToEhrIsHuman

Any pix of the "Coke Clear / Yellow swirl" you could post please?

JohnBlutarski likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.