The Bangles: Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Mc, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Watching the Sky -- is OK. Nothing more.

scratchtasia and Steve Mc like this.
  2. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia Thread Starter

Live 1989 performance of the song at the 43 minute mark here:

3. Steve Mc

And here is the song live in late 2008

GoodKitty and ascot like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I never got the homage to Led Zeppelin until your post. And, this song is a favorite of mine too.

5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I love “Watching the Sky”. It is the song on here that harkens back to everything we love about AOTP. If any Vicki song should’ve been on Greatest Hits, it’s this one.

M321115, ethanbsvg and Steve Mc like this.
  6. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Been wondering what folks would say about this one. One of my favorites on the album. Certainly a nice change of pace and I wish it had been the fourth single. Would it have been a hit? I don't know, but it certainly would have showed a different side to the Bangles. I really like the lyrics as well. I think they keyboards give it a few psychedelic flourishes. Had never thought of it in comparison to "Kashmir", but I can see it.

7. scratchtasia

scratchtasia Forum Resident

"Watching the Sky" is a change of pace, for sure, but it doesn't do much for me at all. It really surprises me that some of you think it could have been a single or a radio cut--I'd have left it off the album and made it a B-side. Vive la difference.

GoodKitty, BZync, vinnie and 3 others like this.
  8. ethanbsvg

ethanbsvg Forum Resident

Given that Susanna and Vicki are huge Led Zeppelin fans (especially Susanna) I can hear the connection to Led Zeppelin and "Kashmir". This is an awesome rocker without the overproduction a lot 80s Rock songs suffered from. I wish this was a single but this was the 80s so I have my doubts this would have made a huge impact on the charts which is shame. If this was released in the 70s I am sure it would have been huge. One of my favourite songs on "Everything" and one of my favourite songs Vicki & Susanna have written together. I have heard this live a few times (sadly not a lot) and it's sounds even better in a live setting. I wish they would re-add it to their live show setlist.

M321115, JDeanB and Steve Mc like this.
  9. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

"Watching the Sky" - I like the rockin' nature of this one but the melody and vocals don't do much for me. Its not bad but it won't be making my personal greatest hits comp.

scratchtasia and Steve Mc like this.
  10. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Once again, we pause so I can catch up:

Be With You -- Great track! It's uptempo and tuneful, with some interesting twists. And yes, that bridge is heavenly and is the song's high-point. Debbi's voice sounds great. Sure, the video is cheesy (although gratuitous shots of Susanna's ass are not unwelcome), but we might pause to remember this group's chosen self-image in late 1988: they were trying to look like refugees from Lita Ford's band or something in 1988. I mean, look at the cover of Everything... I'm not surprised this stalled at #30, however. As A-sides go, it's not overly strong. And by 1989, guitar-pop sounds were very "out", and the Bangles were competing with hip-hop / New Jack Swing, not to mention that God-awful Michael-Bolton-esque smooth pop that was all over American radio circa 1989-1991.

Glitter Years -- The verses to this song are great, but the chorus isn't overly strong. As with all of Michael Steele's songs, it's very interesting and makes an enticing lyric. (There is no chance in you-know-where that this could have been a hit single.) This is a solid album track. Harmony vocals are great, as usual. Lead vocal is fine, but I think Michael could have dug into some parts a bit more... Maybe it's a little too smooth or restrained or something. (Is the short guitar solo Vicki?)

I'll Set You Free -- This is quite easily the best composition on Everything, and -- if we're talking about the single version -- it's probably my #1 favorite Bangles track of them all (I'd put 'Hero Takes A Fall' and maybe 'Following' as almost its equal). The LP cut is great, but as some have noted, it sounds like a guide-vocal and an unfinished mix compared to the stunning and attention-grabbing single version. I mean, the difference between Susanna's two vocals here is night and day. Her vocal on the single might be the best of hers I've heard! That high note near the end....! The harmonies are beautiful, too. The lyric is tight, and effective. Even though this track has a tiny bit of late-80s' production residue stuck to it, it still more than succeeds in evoking the spirit of the mid-to-late-60s guitar-pop that is the girls' bread and butter. An amazing track, but a pity the single version wasn't readied for the album.

Watching The Sky -- In which Vicki and Sue do their 70s' rock song (well, Michael had hers). This one doesn't do much for me -- the tune just isn't very strong. And for once, the backing vocals are not very interesting.

In my opinion, the three A-sides to release from the LP should have been like this:

1. I'll Set You Free (single version, obviously)

2. Eternal Flame

3. In Your Room

Yes, I'm suggesting an all-Susanna trio of lead vocals, but I think it's her contributions that really made the commercial appeal of this record.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  11. Steve Mc

Some Dreams Come True
    Apologies for missing yesterday, but I'm in South Texas so things are a bit messy over here.

Anyway, another Debbi sung and co-written (with Igleheart) track. This is a nice album song overall, if a little light. The groove is quite good, with Steele's bass line especially good. I do, however, absolutely adore the bridge, one of the band's best moments. I'd even go far as to say that to build a song around that melody and energy would have been ideal.

GoodKitty, Wide_Answer, Grant and 2 others like this.
  12. Steve Mc

Vinyl video:

ethanbsvg likes this.
  13. Steve Mc

And an outdoor live performance in Houston. You notice Vicki and Micki's instructions to the audience at the start. The concert took place on a complex of highway overpasses, and so many people showed up that the structural integrity of the place was called into question. Susanna even bolted off stage fearing the worst.

GoodKitty and ethanbsvg like this.
  14. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Some Dreams Come True -- a solid pop song. Nothing spectacular.

Wide_Answer, Grant and Steve Mc like this.
  15. scratchtasia

scratchtasia Forum Resident

"Some Dreams Come True" is a decent album track. Doesn't stand out, though.

Wide_Answer, Grant and Steve Mc like this.
  16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

For me, the bluesy harmonica (played by veteran harmonica player, Tommy Morgan, who contributed to many Beach Boys songs, for sure, definitely more) is what makes the song. It’s okay, nothing spectacular. Sadly, I feel that way about the rest of the album until “Crash and Burn”.

Wide_Answer, vinnie and Steve Mc like this.
  17. ethanbsvg

ethanbsvg Forum Resident

I like this song. It has a nice beat and it's quite catchy. Debbi's drumming and vocals are great on this song. I would have preferred this as a single over "Be With You".

Steve Mc likes this.
  18. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

The music on the verses of Some Dreams Come True is unexceptional, but the bridge and the lyrics are excellent. I could do without the puking guitar. Still, that glorious bridge else ates the song to 4.3/5 .

Wide_Answer and Steve Mc like this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'm glad they didn't overdo the country slant. It would have made the song sound hokey.

Bangles are at their best when they do poppy, bright tunes.

Steve Mc likes this.
  20. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Some Dreams Come True -- Solid album track, I like it. It's actually a very All Over The Place-ish song, but with some extra late-80s' production touches. I would assume this song was inspired by Debbi's beau, Steve Botting.

Wide_Answer, Steve Mc and ethanbsvg like this.
  21. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

"Some Dreams Come True" - A solid track. Nothing really sticks out good or bad, its fun to sing along to, and is simply a good album cut. I will say that during the chorus where she sings "but its all right now", I instinctively want to sing, "in fact its a gas."

Wide_Answer and Steve Mc like this.
  22. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Damn i wish i was a Rickenbacker

Steve Mc likes this.
  23. Mr Barlow

Mr Barlow Forum Resident

They're cool...but the fretboard are really narrow !

24. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

Lol. i said I wish I was a Rickenbacker.

y'know ;);););)

25. Mr Barlow

Mr Barlow Forum Resident

Ha ha ! :laugh::laugh:, I get ya dude. I get ya :thumbsup: !