The Beatles 1980 Central Park Reunion Concert..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JFSebastion, Oct 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident Thread Starter

So the story goes that John Lennon visited Apple's lawyers in New York concerning preparations for a court case against the Producers of Beatlemania . John said in a sworn affidavit that : "I and the three other former Beatles have plans to stage a reunion, to be recorded, filmed and marketed around the world."
    That same week the New York Police Department was approached by an unknown organization asking if it would be possible for the city to prepare a feasibility study for a Beatles Reunion concert in Central Park!
    So was this concert in the planning stages? Was it mere bravado on John's part? Would Yoko have been keen to see this happen? Were the Beatles at a good place collectively for this to take place? What songs would have been on the set list? Which Beatles songs and would any solo material have made the set list? Your thoughts?

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Long as Yoko was around, a Beatle reunion would have never happened. Not in the 70's or the 80's or 90's had John been alive.

3. writteninwater

writteninwater Forum Resident

Love the live album by Simon and Garfunkel from Central Park. It has a very nice vibe. I find it difficult to imagine The Beatles come together only for entertainment like that. Four solo artists who were not really very friendly with each other anymore.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it makes one really fn' angry doesn't?...she truly took down the Beatles from within.

mando_dan, billh, Jimmy B. and 5 others like this.
  5. Michael

they would have done a set from each period 64-66... 67-69 and some solo cuts...

Michael Rose likes this.
  6. Michael

don't kid yourself I see it as they most definitely would have had a blast...

Jimmy B. and Michael Rose like this.
  7. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Concert? Nah. George wouldn’t want to. It took for him to be in financial trouble to do the anthology. Just my .02.

8. RAZORMADE

RAZORMADE I crawled out from the bottom in the dark...

hmmm... maybe after all this,

John did that tune with Ringo the following week, they called George, got together and started filming rehearsals (à la "Let It Be" minus the negative vibes) for the upcoming surprise reunion concert at Central Park and what would become a bestselling live album called "Come Together" :p!

MitchLT and Michael Rose like this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

John overestimated the audience for any Beatles reunion in 1980. It turns out the Beatles reunion was a done deal, but no promoters were willing to back it up financially. So the Beatles were stuck as one of the opening acts for Peter Frampton:

[​IMG]

(From Mark Shipper’s very humorous Paperback Writer book) ;)

10. ThePaleRider

ThePaleRider Forum Resident

Lol!....For a second...just for a second....

Chemguy and ajsmith like this.
  11. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Pure legal maneuvering. Nothing more.

12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I am not sure if it was just legal manoeuvring, because of the organisation contacting the NYPD, but also because Jack Douglas has said John was expecting Paul to be working with him around that time, because of the rumour that they were all going to work on a Ringo album, potentially together, and because a BBC music journalist, who may have been the first person Paul spoke to on the phone after John died, has since confirmed that Paul told him they were going to reunite/work together again.

I believe, according to Douglas, that John was expecting Paul to turn up for a recording session, but that unbeknownst to him, Paul had arrived but then was turned away. We also have the source (maybe Douglas) saying that George called John, but that Yoko blocked the call from reaching him.

All of it suggests some form of reunion activity potentially, if Douglas and the BBC journalist are reliable sources (Douglas just worked with Ringo again, so has hardly been frozen out for what he has said through the years).

13. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

All of the reunion possibilities and hypotheticals jump straight into new output or setlists, and while it is fun to ponder, there's no denying that a reunion could've died as soon as the four met up and had old problems arise. It's not exactly unlikely that a Beatles reunion could've been the four of them planning something, meeting up to begin work on it, and then abandoning it. We're lucky we even got Anthology!

14. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

Imagine a world were a Beatles reunion would get second billing to Peter Frampton in the mid-70s.

Joel1963, Michael Rose and NunoBento like this.
  15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I don't consider myself an overt optimist and I'm not into these 'what if?' kind of threads but...
    it came to light a few years ago that Paul had it written in his Columbia contract that should The Beatles reform, he could -in a sense - put the contract on pause until his Beatles commitment was over. This would be a huge win-win for everybody involved.

:--)

16. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

Michael, since they would have been in America, would they be performing the 64-66 songs with extra reverb?

17. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

any setlist requests?

18. Michael

you are not funny! LOL!

19. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Pretty strong indicator that he was at least not ruling it out, potentially even planning for it. It would have been really easy for him to be like "naw, sorry lads, can't do it, contracts and all that" to avoid a reunion if he truly didn't want to do it.

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

John and Paul blew it when they didn't take the chance and show up at Saturday Night Live. I have always wondered what would have happened and what they would have done. Could they have walked on unrehearsed?

MitchLT, bosto, Isamet and 9 others like this.
  21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's wonderful that you did a nice copy & paste job and added italics and your own random questions, but didn't feel the need to include the source.

Chemguy likes this.
  22. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Author Peter Doggett page 268 of You Never Give Me Your Money for those in doubt.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  23. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Would WHOPPIE have been there in Central Park for the show?

24. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

They probably would have played something like Bye Bye Love, with a couple of acoustic guitars...

Hammerpeg likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

The guys selling loose joints kept their cash and a guy rushed the stage when John was singing a new song written about Paul Simon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.