The Beatles “Beatles For Sale”-pressings you like

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pabs, Jan 27, 2022.

1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Lots of bad “audiophile” rap on the 2012’s because they’re digital…to which I say, who cares?? Many of them, BFS in particular, sound excellent.

2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the blue Odeon. I like it. My go to track for BFS to determine pressing quality is Mr. Moonlight. Nothing to do with the song itself, but the sound of the recording when all the harmonies come in full force. On many pressings they’re very high ended and shrilly. Horrible on the Japanese digital black Odeon with the black and gold OBI. It sounds pretty good on the German blue Odeon.

3. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Granted I've never heard another vinyl pressing of BFS, and I'm more than certain that better-sounding pressings exist, but the 2012 stereo pressing I have sounds really good, at least to my ears, and the sleeve is beautiful. I haven't many complaints at all about any of the 2012 stereo pressings, actually. I once had early, all-analogue pressings of many of them, so I can make some comparisons there. Digital in the chain? Sure there is, but I don't really care about that as much as others do. The 2012 stereo pressing is still the best value for your money in 2022.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Well said. I won’t say that the 2012’s are definitive but they truly do sound quite good.

5. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

Just getting done listening to this gem... my goodness... such a great sounding ALL ANALOGUE version of this album! Just so well rounded and "chimey".

DK Pete likes this.
  6. jerseyboydavid

jerseyboydavid Forum Resident

So let's resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one... this is for German presses in general, but I will use my Beatles For Sale as an example, although playing my German Yeah Yeah Yeah (A Hard Day's Night) LP got me checking.

I have in front to me two of my BFS albums. My German press is catalog number 1C 062-04-200. I have a mid 1980's pressing an old girlfriend got for me (along with many other Beatles albums) from Belgium, well, back in the early 1980s. It is catalog number 1A 062-04200, pressed in EEC

I believe the 1C prefix is for the German market, the 1A prefix was for the Dutch market. My question... are these actually the same "pressing" or from the same masters, since they are the same catalog number? Does this question make sense?

Also, I have been trying to find out for years... WHERE WERE THE EEC PRESSINGS MADE? Was it Germany?

7. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

I've got a 1981 UK mono using what I believe are original stampers, and I have to say it sounds like garbage.

Jules HKG likes this.
  8. Jules HKG

Jules HKG Forum Resident

9. doyleDog

doyleDog Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity… can you explain why?

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  10. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Check out my recent shootout:
    Beatles German Pressings - Need Help!

The UK -1/-1 is very very good, but the German '77 pressing (1C 072 cat.no., blue Odeon label with LC code) is, in my opinion, absolutely fabulous.

11. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

The catalog number is actually five digits after the country and factory code (1C for Electrola in Germany, 1A and 5C for Netherlands) and the three-digit price code (062).
    Apart from contract pressings, they were not the same metal parts, so Germany had an own cut, Netherlands a different one (on 1st issues, Netherlands sometimes used UK matrices).

German 70s matrices can usually be identified by the following form: XX XXX A-1 / B-1, stamped close to the label. BFS inherited the original German 1st pressing matrices (YEX) plus had the 1C 062 matrix added in 1969. The 2nd German cut (winner of my shootout) has the matrix 04 200 A-1 / 04 200 B-1.

Dutch EMI pressings usually have a 2Y somewhere at the end.

French EMI matrices usually have M6 somewhere in the matrix.

jerseyboydavid and Ulli like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can someone find what I wrote about this? I can’t do that all over again. Thanks.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

14. cmcintyre

cmcintyre Forum Resident

You could consult the Platypus :

I Am The Platypus - The Beatles Australian Records Labelography - BEATLES FOR SALE ( PMCO 1240 / PCSO 3062 )

Lots of good info on Australian pressings on that site.

15. advancecharmander

advancecharmander listening to electric ladyland

I found an old 1970s repress of Beatles For Sale at my local record store, same place I got a similar version of A Hard Day's Night. Would that version also match an original 1964 press?

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

my CDR of the MFSL album...

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  17. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

This

Adam9 likes this.
  18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

Just recently got the 2014 mono and wow, it absolutely smokes the ‘81 mono. I’m still on the hunt for a good stereo pressing of this but I didn’t expect there to be such a difference between the 2 mono reissues. The stereo mix is still my preference, but for mono, I can stop looking.

Every time I listen to this album I can’t help think how underrated it is. I’m honestly not sure I would have been into the Beatles in the day, until Beatles For Sale came out

19. Yes, the 1981 that I originally owned I think gave many people the impression that the mono version was the poor unworthy stepchild for this particular album. The 2014 is far better, and good enough to be my go-to version for listening purposes.

DK Pete and astro70 like this.
  20. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Depends on the matrix number. The tube cut stamper lasted into the 70s.

21. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

the 2014 is also much more open and alive sounding than the original mono. I’ll never let go of my original though…

kt66brooklyn and astro70 like this.
  22. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I have come across a Swedish -3/-2 cut by Harry T. Moss. What’s the verdict on that one?

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Bump

24. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Just picked up German Odeon while in Berlin

DK Pete and TheHutt like this.
  25. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Which version? :)

DK Pete likes this.