The Beatles before fame - photo thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

@beccabear67 I don't think so, that picture was only seen in B&W until very recently.

somnar, nikh33 and beccabear67 like this.
  2. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Yeah I’d be super surprised if someone was using color film to take a pic of them then.

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  3. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Ah, I thought it had a slight greenish tinge of age, but I am a little colour blind, just usually for purple and brown. Sorry.

Dr.O'Boogie likes this.
  4. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

I was recently watching The Beatles Anthology set and Paul said he was at this event(and they showed photos like this) and was taken with John. Something to that effect.

5. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I wonder how much of a difference it would've made to their image if Astrid had continued to take photos for them.

What's great about those photos is that there's obviously a mutual respect between the subjects and the photographer. No Paul and John trying to pull silly faces.

6. Biscuit Warehouse

Biscuit Warehouse Forum Resident

All these pics of them surrounded by different girls/groupies makes me wonder why there isn’t literally thousands of “Beatle babies” around the planet.

7. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

pretty amateur colorizing IMHO

nikh33 likes this.
  8. Dr.O'Boogie

Dr.O'Boogie Forum Resident

Notice the poster for a "Silver Beetles" gig on the wall.

9. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

I mean there very well could be, but I also think things were more innocent then (at least outside of Hamburg). George was still a virgin for most of this time.

10. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

The poster is possibly for a concert on June 6 1960.

According to Alan Clayson, in his book "John Lennon", the reporters from gutter tabloid "The Sunday People" were shocked that the flat was clean, one of the residents had a job and wore a suit, and another resident said she'd be happy to invite her parents over for a meal. Not the story they were looking for! So Lennon and friends obliged them by making the place look a mess.

Kenwood: Liverpool: 3 Gambier terrace.

Although, according to Bill Harry’s book, Rod Murray said “The guy on the floor who looks like John is either Rod Jones or Pete the Beat.” So John Lennon is NOT in this picture. Still nice, though.

INACTIVE BLOG

bekayne, LilyMarz and Dr.O'Boogie like this.
  11. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not at this gig. You can distinguish the events by looking at the background. If there is a house behind the Quarrymen, it is not the one where Paul was there. ​

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

No, it was at the village fete in July, not this parade in June.

13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Until around 1964 most colour photos would have been on slides which do offer very realistic colour. Colour film was very expensive to have developed and printed, slides were projected by light, and as such looked very good. Mike McCartney took precisely one colour group shot of the early Beatles, Astrid none. Even in 1963 some colour photos of the group printed in magazines were black and white pictures hand-coloured, such as Fiona Adams' pin up in "Boyfriend" magazine.

14. Adrian Adkins

Adrian Adkins Forum Resident

What Is This ?

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Scatterling of Africa and Loup like this.
  16. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

One of the singles from the 'Run Devil Run' box set.

Adrian Adkins likes this.
  17. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Thanks! I know this was provided via the latest McCartney release (and it didn`t come with a date there IIRC) and then it was also published in via his social media channel. Was it then that a date was attached to it?

nikh33 likes this.
  18. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

None of these feature any Beatle. Williams who arranged for the shots in there. John and Stuart probably were en route to London at this time. Those photos were posed and the place messed up on purpose to illustrate a article about the dirty life of the Beatniks. This backfired because I think it got them evicted. Most interesting is the poster above the fireplace - it is a Silver Beatles poster IIRC. It is too small here to make out but I have seen higher resolutions of this photo where you can read it.

hallucalation, beccabear67 and nikh33 like this.
  19. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

I keep re-reading bits in Tune-In and want to add to / correct something I wrote earlier:
    Stu started at art school in Hamburg on June 1. Despite the fact that he announced that he wanted to leave the Beatles in a letter on April 31 (beatlesource) he wanted to finish the engagement with the Beatles which lasted to July 1.
    The doubled work load exhausted him and occasionally he missed gigs which is when Paul took over.
    By the time the Sheridan session came around Paul has his Höfner and played it the session.
    So I think we can say that the transition took place for real in June.

LilyMarz and beccabear67 like this.
  20. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

This is the letter it seems. I have a bit of trouble reading it and would like to ask your help:
    Do you see a passage where he says he plans to leave the band?
    All you need is love

21. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Damn, only a year old when appearing on Sullivan, now that's talent!

22. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

vince and boggs like this.
  23. LilyMarz

LilyMarz Forum Resident

24. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020