THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I thought it was hilarious that John and Paul, in the midst of a supposedly tense discussion, were both looking upward. I also like that unlike the 0riginal LIB, they didn't show a seemingly disapproving look by Yoko when John and Paul were having fun with the fast Two of Us.

2. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

Well...after listening to these two bootlegs for decades, it's pretty cool seeing such pristine footage to go with them:
    [​IMG]

vinnie, The Quiet One, jricc and 12 others like this.
  3. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I had to get older and work longer in an office to sympathize with and understand each of them in this movie as I eventually experienced all of their roles in my office experiences and work titles and positions. When I watched the original movie in 70, little did I realize I myself would play these different roles decades later.

Buddybud, JL6161, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  4. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Wow! Glad to see so many positive comments! I suppose it’s too much to expect this thread to not advance 20 pages every 12 hours until I can watch it on Sunday?

Yeah… I figured as much…

5. joy stinson

Yes, I have these great old vinyl b**ts along with quite a few others like many here do as well. When I get better after surgery for my balance problems, I hope to be able to go through my vinyl and re listen to all my LIB era b**ts I painstakingly collected in the seventies and eighties.

walrusz likes this.
  6. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Paul comes off worse in “The Argument” here than he did in Let It Be. I know Peter Jackson was suggesting it wasn’t so bad in context, but the context to me shows a build up of tension where George is continuously told by Paul what to do, or more to the point, what not to do. George doesn’t help himself with his comments about Don’t Let Me Down, but it’s his way of fighting back.

This is so interesting and enlightening as a whole. I can’t imagine many non-Beatles freaks getting through it but this is biblical for me.

7. Smash

Smash Forum Resident

The Jan. 10 jam sequence is just insanity, and perfectly distilled by Jackson.

8. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

How does that work with the song called “Child of Nature” on the Esher Demos?

joy stinson likes this.
  9. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

One takeaway is that Yoko just looks like an everyday girlfriend. The popular image of her during this period - stiff, aloof, disinterested, bored - appears somewhat overblown. She smiles, laughs, chats with Linda, kisses John, etc. There's no doubt her constant company caused issues, but whether it was due to the camera not focusing upon her (or, indeed, Jackson's edit), one gets the feeling that John was not so estranged from the band by her presence. He's clearly communicating with the others distinctly as John, and not through some corrective filter of Lennon/Ono (with Ono acting as some kind of rarefied translator). Narcotics notwithstanding, that's interesting to see (and not just hear).

10. joy stinson

I always felt both paul and George both took out on each other their frustrations about John and probably yoko as well during this time rather than probably out of fear of him dealing directly with John.

jas621, The Quiet One, JL6161 and 4 others like this.
  11. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

So, will Part II begin with the end of Twickenham then? “Watching Rainbows,” “Madman,” etc.

joy stinson likes this.
  12. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

Just finished watching part 1. Fascinating look at the group creating music in their final months as a group. Paul looked a little stressed out trying to bring things together for the project. George looks and sounds very unhappy most of the time, and has a somewhat earned chip on his shoulder. John is witty and charming at times, but most of the time looks disinterested in things other then Yoko. Ringo is a bright spot in all the drama. Still, you do see a lot love and friendship, and the musical genius at work. You can see how creative differences were putting a strain on the group, but it doesn't change the fact that these four guys were at their peak as composers. Obviously, fans were heartbroken when the group broke up a few months after these scenes were filmed, but I sense that only Paul was devastated by the end of the band at the time.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  13. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

It's official, Michael Lindsay-Hogg broke up the Beatles :D

14. I actually paused it and turned on the English language subtitle feature (usually for the hearing impaired when the original is in English) but there weren't any additional subtitles.

I usually do this with programs based in Scotland. :)

15. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I watched about an hour and a half with a friend and my son after dinner today. My son loved it but I felt very dirty like I was watching a private family meeting that I had no right to be at.
    Both my son and I told my wife she should not watch it. She will have an emotional breakdown, she is too much of a Beatles fan too watch it. She still cries when a John song is played.

Drifter, BeatleJWOL, Joel1963 and 4 others like this.
  16. Bill813

Bill813 Forum Resident

The whole thing was an ill-informed rush job. It seemed, Michael Lindsay-Hogg took a lot of their rehearsal time trying to plan a show at Sabratha, Libya when they preferred to stay home but for the cold English weather. As a couple of them noted, the band had been in a funk since Epstein died. These kind of logistic arrangements they had to make now that Epstein was gone. Paul stepped up to be the leader but he didn't really want the job. That could be why the biggest hit songs from these sessions came from him.

ODIrony, jacden, 56strat and 4 others like this.
  17. Detroit Rock Citizen

I cried when they were talking about Elvis' birthday. John said something about catching up to him. He never did.

18. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

John said many things he didn't truly believe inside, but it made fodder for an interesting interview. I remember Paul acting surprised when somebody told him that John hated "Ob la di, Ob la da". Yes, there were some of Paul's songs he didn't like, but he also wasn't happy with how some of his songs turned out. The business disagreements really made everyone bitter, and hurtful things were said, but the love was still there. I wish Paul and John had treated George more respectfully, but as the group got older their musical differences became more difficult to compromise over.

Murph and joy stinson like this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

"Paul will always be nine months older."

joy stinson and batdude98 like this.
  20. joy stinson

I never felt that way as it was their choice to do the movie this way...which exposed their flaws and creative process. After all all of their fans and the public have unintentionally or intentionally been voyeurs of sorts into their lives for decades. However, I can understand that some folks still aren’t over John’s tragic death or the fact that George is dead or even that the group broke up. It’s all been so long ago but seems like yesterday. The way I see it, had the Beatles not wanted such to be available, they’d have never allowed so much of it to be recorded via video or the nagra tapes.

JL6161 likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What about Tennessee and House of the Rising Sun? Are they included here?

22. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

Maybe nine to ten seconds of "House".

No "Tennessee".

joy stinson likes this.
  23. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

I don’t know, I’m not the one who changed the lyric or the title. Obviously it still could have been called child of nature, but it wasn’t. My guess is that John changed the location to distance himself from the India episode.

joy stinson likes this.
  24. joy stinson

I’m not sure George could have ever broken through the Lennon McCartney duo musical and personal bond and George seemed only seriously interested in doing this musically at the very end of the Beatles as earlier his attention was on learning the sitar which he took time away from the Beatles to do two different times and George was enjoying other blues guitarists like Clapton who I’m sure inspired him and he learned from and going to other musical events in the late sixties. I’ve read conflicting things in this forum about how early all things must pass was offered and if indeed a final version of it was complete but there’s LIB footage of paul and George singing the song together which is indeed beautiful.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yes, but in the bigger picture, they did. Two songs prominently positioned on the AR album, A-Side of the big single... etc. I sense GH did not contribute his best stuff on the Get Back project. I never loved ATMP at the Beatles sessions, too drab and a downer imo. Yeah, George was in a downer mood, and not handing over his best stuff here.