THE BEATLES -"GET BACK" film directed by Peter Jackson on Disney+

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sfligio, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Well, to be honest I have not read any experts her make this claim, although it seems like a miracle to me that they had nil requests to change anything after decades of being so possesive of their stuff and history to not even let LIB out.
    I actually doubt that any of the Beatles camp previewed the whole material as PJ did. So what they got from him was legal to them.

joy stinson and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

experts probably should've have been 'experts' was being a bit sarcastic because much earlier in this thread people were claiming Yoko being edited out of some of the conversations, must've been because her/Sean/their people insisted on the film making her look nicer.

Ken Wood likes this.
  3. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

I initially misread that as omnipotent fresh toast. (Obviously, it should be the marmalade that’s omnipotent.)

ODIrony likes this.
  4. ZoSoUK

ZoSoUK Forum Resident

as someone who finds not only the whole working class issue laughable
    (johns DNA & ROOTS were very much working class, hence he was working class !!!)
    but the scrutiny of lyrics and mind reading of what john meant, thought, felt & intended is ridiculous !

On this basis youre post is superb & very funny !

as peter griffin would say " Good day to YOU sir " :)

Michael Macrone likes this.
  5. Onkster515

Onkster515 Forum Resident

What’s the likelihood that they ever taped any of their rehearsals? I’m guessing not much, but stranger things have turned up.

It’d sure be nice to hear some live performances without all the screaming.

6. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Is that the same exact footage? Is it possible that she made that face on more than one filmed occasion that day? Not saying she did or didn't.

7. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'll try to take a look when I have more time (new semester starts Tuesday, lots of prep right now).

Ray

Ken Wood likes this.
  8. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Part 3, 1:15:36
    Jamming Dig It with John reading their song list out loud - what is
    - I`d like a life? (Octopusses Garden?)
    - A C D F G Af A?

9. RayS

“Old Brown Shoe”

10. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

It's the same film, same camera. For Get Back the reaction was inserted from a different timeline.

OldSoul and joy stinson like this.
  11. Isaac Azimuth

Isaac Azimuth Forum Resident

Sorry, I misunderstood; I thought that was you on the clip, playing the piece.
    Thanks for the clip, however!

EddieMann likes this.
  12. Isaac Azimuth

Absolutely fascinating, Onkster, and thank you for your considerable reflection on the matter!
    I suppose that basic to my question in the first place was not only : Who's playing what on this recording?
    I was just as curious as to the origins of the piece's title. Quite the great title, full of a sense of mystery. And how would the Beatles have known about this palace or this king? Or did they make the title/concept up out of a whole cloth?
    (What seems most telling is that McCartney revived and developed the piece for use years later, which means, I think, that it had significance for him throughout that time).
    But everything else is guessing on my part, so I hope there's more to the story and I'd love to hear it here.
    Thanks to all.
    Jeff

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Isaac Azimuth

I thought "Bonding" was the sequence where McCartney was talking to Paul Bond, the young clapper for the film unit - about music. He ran through how "all the old standards" had the same progressions and resolutions. But, above all, the main point he seems to want to make is that ALL the music which ever was composed (as he saw it) came from that one single instrument. So all pianos have some kind of immortal facility to them. At least that's how I heard his comments.

And Paul Bond is sitting there, utterly unable to believe his great fortune to be spending this period of time with McCartney. The young feller never even stops blushing, he's so thrilled! Personally, I thought he did a great job in the personal composure department, faced with such extraordinary provocation.

And I'm pretty sure that's where the title"Bonding" comes from in the credits. Which I thought was an incredible gift to offer Paul Bond, all these years later!

Dradge, Cledwyn, Ms. Daisy and 8 others like this.
  14. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Heather, Julian, Kyoko and myself were all born within a period of 226 days.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    Lewisboogie and Ryan Lux like this.
  15. RayS

All true. My point was what Paul plays is “San Francisco Bay Blues”, rather than something he should get a composer credit for.

16. Ken Wood

Ken Wood Forum Resident

Just through the whole thing the second time. Some observations about the rooftop:
    - George was so cool to simply turn his amp back on
    - Mal must have sweated blood and water (german expression, don`t know it that translates well), having to hold off the police
    - The police actually leaves before they stop playing. Why? Were they promised this is the last song and were fine with it?
    - Where was Neil? Where Derek?

17. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

I actually don’t recall seeing Neil at all in the entire documentary.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  18. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

He’s in the group meeting after George leaves

19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Interesting no mics, no PA. No vocals rehearsed or are they playing quietly so vocals could be heard?

Mike M likes this.
  20. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Hey fellow Beatles obsessives: is it not possible that Sean, Dhani, Macca and Ringo all thought it was a cute to show Heather reacting to Yoko’s “ singing” and including Heathers attempts to “sing” like her? My god isn’t it time to lighten up a little on this Yoko thing? Yes, she was a rub point in the bands relationships but my god it was over 50 years ago!

21. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

Neil was absent due to illness and had to have surgery. We only see Neil twice in the entire film - his one appearance at Twickenham and a brief shot of him later with "Magic" Alex which I'm guessing was shot at a different time and inserted to keep the narrative going.

Last time I looked at the Rooftop footage I noticed two new things - George Martin appears at one point for a couple of minutes and also, Alan Parsons was up there as well which counters with his memory of how great it was to see the band on the roof. I spotted him just before it starts adjusting one of Ringo's mikes.

Ms. Daisy and joy stinson like this.
  22. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Exactly like the first days of Get Back. I think it’s because they never seemed to own a PA of their own. Same thing with their rehearsals in Miami. No PA.

baitzahn and joy stinson like this.
  23. RayS

Neil is seen on both January 10th and January 13th.

24. Philip Gruber

Philip Gruber Forum Resident

I've just finished reading Peter Asher's A-Z book and in it he states a couple of times of how he noted they actually sang rather loud, recalling sitting in on a couple of BBC session recordings where in the studio beside the band itself he could hear their unamped vocals clearly above what the band were playing which really impressed him as there was no vocal PA, vocals going through BBC mikes into the control desk. This would help explain the confusion and PA issues at Apple Studios with them complaining about feedback and George Martin trying to explain how mike positions were causing the issues so they weren't really that used to working with vocal PA systems in rehearsal.

Asher also explains why he's not seen on any of the 1969 footage as he was in America at the time doing Apple business.

25. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

It could well be argued it’s past time to quit arguing over the whole “Beatles breakup thing” not just the yoko possible role in it thing and just realize they did breakups and just enjoy the music they produce. Yoko only came into the picture because John himself said wanted a divorce as wanted to do his projects with yoko and being in Beatles would interfere.

Lance LaSalle likes this.