The Beatles: "Get Back." SNEAK PEEK from Peter Jackson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleJWOL, Dec 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

STOP THE PRESSES!
    Yoko can smile!~!!!!!

The Trinity likes this.
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Christmas came early!!!

Just watched twice in a row -- grinning ear to ear, and my eyes are welled up.

This looks beyond amazing!

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That Magic Alex sure knew what he was doing ... ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    theMess, Floater, goodiesguy and 8 others like this.
  4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

First of all, the original footage stills exists; it was not destroyed. And there is a now a pristine restored black and white copy. Jackson then took a copy and repaired the damage to the film, corrected the speed, added colour as accurately to real life as possible, and added audio commentary including interviews of the people in the film and others who were present. Would you prefer that the existing footage alone exist - damaged, rotting on shelves in storage, unseen?

wes4usc, theMess, Floater and 24 others like this.
  5. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t want it look like crap, obviously. But at some point I don’t think we’re watching original footage anymore but a modern day clone of the original footage. This goes slightly beyond mere ‘film restoration’, for me. Anyway, that’s all I’ve got to say about it.

Revelator likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes. It was the late 1960s---a dark time with protests around the world, revolution, and war.

And many films attempted to capture that "feel" too, so they were dark, abstract, gloomy, confused, and nonlinear. A happy-go-lucky film of the 4 mop-tops in 1969 would have went against the atmosphere of the times.

7. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Once again, McCartney has a new solo album that's competing for attention with Let It Be. :laugh:

8. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

This looks GREAT! Actually brought a tear to my eye, nearly! Amazing seeing stuff we haven't seen before. I can't wait to see MORE

theMess, vegafleet, graystoke and 3 others like this.
  9. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I totally get your point and why you might feel that way. However, the reason it exists in the way that Peter Jackson has done it is because the Imperial War Museum wanted modern audiences to see this and engage with it in a way that they wouldn't otherwise do if it was left silent and black and white. Im exceptionally glad that pristine, restored black & white footage now exists and is stored safely to preserve for the ages. Still, I think Peter Jackson's restoration/modernisation of the footage gives a unique window into footage that otherwise would struggle to find an audience. I think that this new audience is justification enough for the new film. I thought it was superbly done. Again, I do totally get and respect your reservations though :)

10. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

That was my first thought on watching it! I want MORE. I want to see the whole movie laid out beautifully before us rather than just this remarkable montage teaser.

11. bewareofchairs

bewareofchairs Forum Resident

Also I believe at that time they were extremely into the concept of being like a fly-on-the-wall rather than focusing on the entertainment factor. And showing The Beatles like that would've been something new and "raw" compared to what people were exposed to before.

12. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

As a newer Beatles fan, this was beautiful and I can’t wait to see it!

13. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

But this also shows the MLH's cut was biased and did not show the whole reality of the facts.

theMess, Floater, ODIrony and 2 others like this.
  14. CDC

CDC Forum Resident

I was not excited about this project ...until now. This sneak peak made me so happy!!! Can't wait and will see it in theaters for sure!

Floater, Ms. Daisy and 905 like this.
  15. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

I was gonna post exactly this^
    This preview is also way better edited than the original film...

Sean and Guy Smiley like this.
  16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Nice to hear there is over 51 hours of unseen footage. I've seen the 2 DVD set of Let It Be, (albeit in poor quality), and it will be nice to see this new perspective of the movie instead of all the bickering!

Please Please Me, and show the whole rooftop concert!

17. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Nope. Gimme it all.

Bonus on the blu-ray is fine though.

18. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

The trailer makes it look like The Beatles of 1963 & 64 never disappeared. And while I do like that, it's a slant towards that just like the original was a slant towards something else. Neither one alone is the complete truth. Both have to be taken into account. Having said that, I'm still looking forward to this version.

19. stollar

stollar Forum Resident

Best christmas gift this year :)

Guy Smiley likes this.
  20. Guy Smiley

Shame. I thought those lads might really make the big time.

21. Guy Smiley

What... No complaining the film quality looks TOO GOOD, or it’s too revisionist?

Please, keep watching until you find something to gripe about. What’s wrong with you?

22. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

That sneak peek put a smile on my face all the way through.
    What a great new angle on the otherwise depressing 'Let It Be' film.
    I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Sean, Guy Smiley and georgepearrison like this.
  23. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I think it was clear to everyone the band appeared to be breaking up -- or was at least on the verge of breaking up. So editing the film in a way that showed this was a perfectly legitimate approach.

But I've always felt that if you took a camera crew into ANY work environment and filmed the employees nonstop for 30 days you would capture at least 60 minutes of people being testy, short and downright rude with each other. The thing to remember is that with the Let It Be film, it covers just a four-week period of their lives -- a period that involved them having to get up for work much earlier than they were used to doing, in the middle of winter, and then, for at least the first few weeks, they had to create and perform inside an empty warehouse-type of environment (Twickenham) while surrounded by a film crew, before moving to another strange, but more hospitable, environment, Apple Studios. And they embarked on all this less than six weeks after the release of the White Album, which itself had involved some interminable recording and mixing sessions. I wish they had all just taken some time off that winter, or pursued solo projects, and then got back together.

As it is, I'm surprised they got as long as well as they did. The infamous "argument" between Paul and George is awfully inconsequential; I think it seems bad mostly because we're not used to seeing any sort of conflict at all between the four.

24. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I, too, think they could have made it big if they hadn't looked so stupid with that long hair ;)

25. Guy Smiley

Nah... They’re going to leave fat stacks of cash on the table instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.